Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

On 20/10/2021 at 11:53, Rob1885 said:

Dillian Whyte vs Otto Wallin is off, whyte has a shoulder injury apparently.

Would be absolutely stunned if Whyte is carrying a genuine injury. Early 2022 Whyte Vs Fury as Hearn eventually delivers a top tier fight to Dillian. Otto Wallin will make a fortune from this if his lawyers have got their wits about them. 

5 hours ago, Sir Kevin Of Kilsyth said:

Fuckin knew it. That Josh Taylor fight was never happening in December or theyd have had tickets out long ago. 

February 26th now apparently. 

I love Taylor as a fighter, but he really needs to find a promoter that’s going to make him the star he should be. A Scottish unified World Champion in one of the most exciting weight classes in boxing and he can’t even sell out the Hydro. I was at the semi final of the WBSS at the Hydro and we got moved seats as the arena was that empty they were closing the top tier. I know he has a bigger profile now but I don’t think he would sell the Hydro out against Catterall. 

He is being fair to Catterall by giving him his mandatory shot when he really doesn’t need to, but if he gets through that fight as he should then it’s got to be mega fights from there on in. He’s getting spoken about in the same conversations as Crawford, Lopez, Davis etc., the mega fights are there for him in America and I genuinely believe he can become a global superstar by winning these fights and defending his titles. He should be Britain’s most well known fighter but casual boxing fans don’t hold him in any sort of high regard. Clowns like Benn and Eubank Jr are more well known when they haven’t achieved a fraction of what Josh has in the sport, and aren’t ever likely to. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

Aye i remmeber that fight. They never had the tickets out till last minute either and it affected the crowd big time. Hes deluded himself thinkin he will sell out the hydro. 

As ye say hes needin to boost. Must be something better out there for him. He would mop the floor with gervonta davis as well. Crawford would be close.

Baranchyk was only confirmed about 6 weeks before that fight date but I've seen him at the hydro against Campos and Ryan Martin and each time it was a poor crowd.

Doesnt pull the numbers like our Ricky did!

AJ saying he's done with losing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/59060488

No doubt that loss stung like a bitch. I think he'll be alot better in the rematch but not so sure that'll be enough to beat Usyk, who was very impressive. If he does gain revenge I smell another trilogy perhaps?..

Either way I think the heavyweight division is getting very tasty. I don't think Fury is untouchable as was shown recently when he was dropped twice again by Wilder. However he is the strongest in the division.  Should be interesting. 

8 hours ago, Acastus said:

AJ saying he's done with losing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/59060488

No doubt that loss stung like a bitch. I think he'll be alot better in the rematch but not so sure that'll be enough to beat Usyk, who was very impressive. If he does gain revenge I smell another trilogy perhaps?..

Either way I think the heavyweight division is getting very tasty. I don't think Fury is untouchable as was shown recently when he was dropped twice again by Wilder. However he is the strongest in the division.  Should be interesting. 

As much as AJ gets a hard time I don’t think anyone can question his attitude and desire to the sport, I’m certain he will be willing to go through hell in the gym to win his belts back. Wether he has the technical abilities to beat Usyk is another matter. 

Hearn saying he expects the WBC to order Fury v Whyte in the coming weeks, and he doesn’t see any hurdles for the fight to get made. Not exactly the fight I want to see Fury in at this point but it would be hard to deny Whyte a shot at the belt after all the bullshit he has had to put up with regarding the WBC. Build up would be a good laugh but Fury dismantles him imo. 

As much as AJ gets a hard time I don’t think anyone can question his attitude and desire to the sport, I’m certain he will be willing to go through hell in the gym to win his belts back. Wether he has the technical abilities to beat Usyk is another matter. 

Hearn saying he expects the WBC to order Fury v Whyte in the coming weeks, and he doesn’t see any hurdles for the fight to get made. Not exactly the fight I want to see Fury in at this point but it would be hard to deny Whyte a shot at the belt after all the bullshit he has had to put up with regarding the WBC. Build up would be a good laugh but Fury dismantles him imo. 
The WBC haven't had a mandatory defence for years now. The IBF (Pulev) & WBO (Usyk) were recently taken on by Joshua. Leaving the rematch victor facing the WBA mandatory challenger to clear the way for an Undisputed match up.
At present, Helenius is staking a claim to a shot at that version.[emoji44]

Has Maya Jama sacked off DAZN already? Never seems to be on anymore.

“Game. Changed.” default_laugh.png
on a half serious note, I do wonder how much Hearn possibly regrets the move? I felt in his post move away from sky he underplayed the sky machine. Since dazn launched in the UK, it's been massively underwhelming. I wont put nails in the coffin but if AJ sticks with sky then...Game. Finished.

I think Hearn will be feeling it as well, he has severely underestimated the Sky hype machine as your say. Even the viewing figures for the recent dogshit Sky cards were excellent considering the product.

Who is actually still subscribing to DAZN in the UK just now? I stopped my subscription to coincide with seeing the Smith/Fowler fight then finished from there as the cards are just so bad and the American stuff is pretty second rate. That card tonight was absolutely terrible it's no better than some of the BT crap Uncle Frank puts on. It's just a more upmarket Boxnation at this stage.

5 hours ago, Fraser Fyvie said:

Has Maya Jama sacked off DAZN already? Never seems to be on anymore.

“Game. Changed.” :lol:

Is there any numbers out there with regards to UK subscribers? I paid for DAZN when it was £2.99, I cancelled my subscription when it went to £7.99 or whatever it is they are charging now. I would put myself in the bracket of an extremely avid boxing fan, but so far I don’t think I have missed out on any of their shows. If Hearn can’t get me as a subscriber then I wonder who he can get. Most of my pals like to watch the boxing as well and would regularly tune in to your run of the mill fight nights on Sky, but I don’t know one of them that subscribes to DAZN  

Hearn always talks about the money that DAZN are able to bring that Sky weren’t, and how fights that were previously Box Office on Sky would now be part of your monthly DAZN subscription. At the same time as he’s saying that he’s also saying that AJ has a brilliant relationship with Sky and that their box office platform is the best in the business. Only a few days ago he said a Fury Whyte fight could be on Sky, BT or ITV Box Office, before realising his need to promote DAZN and slipped in ‘I’m sure DAZN would be bidding for that fight aswell’. 

17 minutes ago, Neilly said:

I think Hearn will be feeling it as well, he has severely underestimated the Sky hype machine as your say. Even the viewing figures for the recent dogshit Sky cards were excellent considering the product.

Who is actually still subscribing to DAZN in the UK just now? I stopped my subscription to coincide with seeing the Smith/Fowler fight then finished from there as the cards are just so bad and the American stuff is pretty second rate. That card tonight was absolutely terrible it's no better than some of the BT crap Uncle Frank puts on. It's just a more upmarket Boxnation at this stage.

I should have read this before I posted. It did actually cross my mind a few days ago after I watched an IFL interview with Hearn, who is actually subscribing to DAZN in the UK? They have absolutely nothing apart from Matchroom boxing in this country. I know in other countries they have the rights to the EPL, Formula 1 and a heap load of other sports (they actually have the rights to SPFL football in Japan), but £7.99 on top of my Sky subscription, BT subscription, Amazon Prime subscription and Premier Sports subscription for a night of boxing every few weeks is a subscription too far for me. If they do onboard other sports that interest me, and start showing boxing cards with fighters that I believe are worth that monthly payment, then I would be more than happy to pay the money for it. 

DAZN has been a disaster so much that they’re crawling back to PPV. If it’s so obvious the major fights can’t happen without PPV why weren’t they up front about that in the first place? Shouting for the last 3 years about how they’re all about streaming and no PPV (including multiple Canelo fights on stream) then just casually introducing PPV like it’s no big deal :lol: