Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

Boxing has always been a clown car of a sport with questionable people involved.

Genuine question here as a casual; Why are people so offended/surprised by this? It was always going to go in this direction, just like every other form of entertainment has. Why is it any worse than the Tyson, Jones Jr nonsense from a wee while ago?

Askren was an embarrassment and clearly went into this accepting a lot of money to just get knocked out. 

He had no intention of mixing it up with the YouTube guy. Easy reputation build for Jake Paul.

ETA: Laughing all the way to the bank.

Dana White apparently put $2m on Askren to win. 😂

Edited by Ludo*1

Glad to see Dana lose out, Askren is an utter embarrassment to himself and t combat sports in general. Not often i'll say someone who steps through the ropes should be ashamed of himself but he absolutely should be. And this shit is going to continue until one of these youtube clowns gets badly hurt. Fortunately for them, (but not for the rest of us) no doubt the likes of Floyd will be queuing up to carry them a few rounds and fleece idiots of their money. 

Sounded like Prograis fight ended in controversy, on the YouTuber undercard.
Landed a body shot & the count was stopped, with his opponent claiming a low blow. Went to the cards & unanimously went to Prograis.
Replays were apparently showing a legal body shot, whilst the guy was rolling round claiming he'd been punched in the nuts!

I'd pay a score to see Deontay take Jake Paul's head clean off his shoulders, no problem at all.

That's Eddie Hearn leaving Sky and going exclusively with Dazn. Been rumoured for a while now. AJ and Dillian Whyte apparently not part of the deal and are free to negotiate separately. Can see Sky showing a lot of Wasserman stuff moving forward with bits of MTK and then international stuff thrown in.

1 hour ago, supermik said:

Britain is getting almost worse than Italy now for ridiculous home town decisions. Polish guy looked far better than Adeleye.

After the Lewis Ritson decision a few months back, there is very little that could surprise me now when it comes to the scoring of fights by BBBoC approved judges. Watch 10 seconds of an interview with their head man Robert Smith and it gives you an idea what sort of organisation that is. There’s bowling clubs out there ran more professionally than that old boys club. 

There’s a guy I know from the St Andrews boxing club who is friendly with Victor Loughlin, and he brought up some of the ridiculous decisions from the past 6 months with him. Apparently Loughlin said that the judging isn’t intentionally biased in favour of the home fighter, but the judges are scoring rounds towards the fighter that they expect to win, as they get caught up in the hype of a fight in the same way that a fan does. I don’t want to put words in Loughlins mouth as I didn’t hear it myself and to be fair he’s usually one of the more sensible judges, although I have disagreed with a few of his scores over the recent months. 

The excuse given by Loughlin though is just garbage in my opinion, it’s the absolute definition of a bias if you are unable to score a fight fairly without letting pre conceived opinions of a fighter influence your judgement. They don’t even have the excuse of the crowds influencing them either, their incompetence has been brought to light in these studio shows with no fans, and it won’t change a bit until the current crop of officials are ushered out the door and the BBBoC brings itself into the 21st century. 

11 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

After the Lewis Ritson decision a few months back, there is very little that could surprise me now when it comes to the scoring of fights by BBBoC approved judges. Watch 10 seconds of an interview with their head man Robert Smith and it gives you an idea what sort of organisation that is. There’s bowling clubs out there ran more professionally than that old boys club. 

There’s a guy I know from the St Andrews boxing club who is friendly with Victor Loughlin, and he brought up some of the ridiculous decisions from the past 6 months with him. Apparently Loughlin said that the judging isn’t intentionally biased in favour of the home fighter, but the judges are scoring rounds towards the fighter that they expect to win, as they get caught up in the hype of a fight in the same way that a fan does. I don’t want to put words in Loughlins mouth as I didn’t hear it myself and to be fair he’s usually one of the more sensible judges, although I have disagreed with a few of his scores over the recent months. 

The excuse given by Loughlin though is just garbage in my opinion, it’s the absolute definition of a bias if you are unable to score a fight fairly without letting pre conceived opinions of a fighter influence your judgement. They don’t even have the excuse of the crowds influencing them either, their incompetence has been brought to light in these studio shows with no fans, and it won’t change a bit until the current crop of officials are ushered out the door and the BBBoC brings itself into the 21st century. 

He really isn't, he's a terrible judge. Probably the best British ref though, although that wouldn't be hard.

Just now, Super_A said:

He really isn't, he's a terrible judge. Probably the best British ref though, although that wouldn't be hard.

Yeah I meant the current crop of British refs, don’t know enough about any officials outside of the UK to pass judgment on them. Although I think you or I could do a better job than balloons like Terry O Connor or Ian John Lewis. This current crop of 5/6 officials seem to have been doing the rounds for years, and almost exclusively get chosen for the highest profile UK show that is on that particular weekend. There doesn’t seem to be any churn or a process in place which would bring through someone new, who is currently reffing at small hall shows up and down the UK, and have been for the past however many years with no route towards these bigger shows. 

Tidy boxing by Cash, & Victor right to stop the fight after 5 heavy rights with no reply, or movement to get out the road.

A Cash/Williams fight looks a good match up to see if Cash can move to that level.

Kash Farooq was down at my gym when I was in earlier tonight. Had his 3 belts with him and was getting his picture taken with the novices, letting them hold the belts etc. Was saying that he needs to go in for surgery on his eye/eyebrow because it’s been opened up in the same place in his last 3 fights, and has left a few little bumps under the surface of the skin. Matchroom have him pencilled in for August for his next fight to allow him to recover, and it won’t be against McGregor as they already have a different opponent lined up. 

He isn’t sparring at the moment due to the eye but he’s still down doing some bag and pad work, and he’s brilliant to watch. Obviously he doesn’t carry the heaviest hands out there but he still whips his punches in with some speed and accuracy. Spent 5 minutes just watching him as he went between two bags and he seemed to be working on a double right hook, one lightly thrown to the head and the second whipped in to the body. Such a down to earth character as well and will talk away to anyone about boxing. Tonight was the first time I had seen him since the Espinoza fight and I told him how good a display he had put on and how much I had enjoyed watching the fight, and his reply was ‘yeah it was awrite’. Hopefully he goes places in the sport and I will be able to tell people when I’m older that I trained alongside a world champion.