Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

Never been blown away with Dubois when I’ve seen him although he’s never been in with anyone that he was able to look that good against, a win against Joyce would change that if he wins well. Joyce is a big strong heavyweight who’s style I think is a bit slow and lumbering, but he rarely takes a backwards step and will throw big clubbing hooks all night.

Don’t really have any skin in the game with this fight so I’m looking forward to it just hoping it lives up to its billing. Probably expecting a Dubois stoppage somewhere around the middle of the fight but wouldn’t be totally shocked with a Joyce win on points, his experience might pay dividends here. 

Who do people think Dubois will end up on the highlight reel of? He seems as good as anyone on the way up so would be interesting to see who people think leaves him on the floor.

Having said that I hope Joyce wins, a genuine hard worker that keeps going. Always up for a trade which offsets his plodding for a viewer. I loved his "woooh" when he unloaded on Jennings after he got caught. He seems like a great big guy and his dad is Scottish. His manager seems like a tadger but those personalities in those roles are great in boxing. Genuinely looking forward to the fight and Warren is still the best promoter in the UK. 

Anyone up to watch Jacobs Rosado? Managed to get a DAZN stream to watch it, the commentators seethed from the 1st round onwards at the quality of the fight. Took until the 10th round for any of the boxers to score punches landed in double figures, and they weren’t happy in particular with Daniel Jacobs as apparently he has been running his mouth all week telling anyone who would listen what a job he was going to do on Rosado. Difficult fight to score as the majority of the rounds had little action but was leaning towards Rosado slightly at the end. 

Went to the scorecards and it was called 115-113 Rosado, 115-113 Jacobs and the final judge had it 115-113 too, but when the MC was announcing the winner he called it ‘and the winner by split decision...from Philadelphia’ which had Rosado (from Philadelphia) raising his arm and starting to celebrate his victory, only to be cut short because the MC had meant to say ‘from Brooklyn, New York’ :lol:  So Jacobs gets the decision but a pretty timid performance from him, and even the US commentators were saying he’s got little chance of fighting any of the names in the division like GGG or Saunders off the back of that performance. Apparently only 78 punches landed from both fighters in the 12 rounds. 

2 hours ago, StillAnAccie said:

Who do people think Dubois will end up on the highlight reel of? He seems as good as anyone on the way up so would be interesting to see who people think leaves him on the floor.

Having said that I hope Joyce wins, a genuine hard worker that keeps going. Always up for a trade which offsets his plodding for a viewer. I loved his "woooh" when he unloaded on Jennings after he got caught. He seems like a great big guy and his dad is Scottish. His manager seems like a tadger but those personalities in those roles are great in boxing. Genuinely looking forward to the fight and Warren is still the best promoter in the UK. 

I think the problem with Dubois is that people just haven’t seen enough of him. I take quite a keen interest in boxing and even I couldn’t really say with any certainty how good he potentially could be when compared to the top heavyweights at the moment. I think that’s a symptom of being promoted by Warren and having fights on BT, where other more casual fans are less likely to see him. Really dont agree that Warren is still the best promoter in the UK, I think if we are being serious Matchroom are on an entirely different planet, with regards to both the quality of their fighters and the money they can offer them. 

Not a sleight on Dubois’ ability at all being with Warren, but speaking to guys I work with who like the boxing as well, they know who Dubois and Joyce are but they couldn’t tell you much about them.  Wether you like Hearn or not he gets his fighters out there and he gets them spoken about; on Sky Sports News, all over IFLs YouTube, social media platforms that reach a wide audience. Sometimes his fighters are hype jobs but at the same time they are making 4 or 5 times what they would have been with Queensbury.  Doesn’t help Warren that MTK and Matchroom have a much better relationship these days, which has allowed Hearn to take a gamble on a few more British fighters that would have been heading to Warren in years gone by.  Queensbury/Warren and the general promotion just seem to lack a bit of that social media nous and some good fighters fly under the radar. 

The boy Kash Farooq trains in the same gym as me and the guy who does my PT sessions is friends with his trainer and manager. After the Lee McGregor fight they basically had the pick of any promotion company, but you would need to be off your head not to go with Matchroom and Eddie Hearn because they are going to make you the most money by an absolute country mile. After one fight under Matchroom his profile has grown rapidly and you had current boxers, ex-boxers and pundits all over twitter praising his style etc. getting his name out there after his last fight. 

Edited to say - He was signed by Hearn off the back of a fight that he lost, somewhat controversially, against McGregor. It wasn’t a robbery or anything close but the majority of people I believe preferred Kash’s work. I think that’s a fight that we will almost certainly see again in 2021

I think among the majority of boxers active at this point, the widely held (but seldom said) view is that Matchroom is where they all want to be,but it’s not something they can come out and say while they are being promoted by someone else.

Look at some of the tinpot operations like Cyclone or Hennesey, they struggle to sell out York Hall while Matchroom sell out the o2 on a regular basis. Even Josh Taylors fights under Cyclone at the Hydro had very disappointing gates. I know for certain Lee McGregor was expecting the call from Matchroom after he beat Farooq and you still see him on Instagram and Twitter tagging Eddie Hearn in his pictures, videos etc. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

Anyone up to watch Jacobs Rosado? ...

Was too tired to stay up so thought I’d look it out this morning, went on twitter first thing and (amongst many others) saw Fast Eddie and Dan Rafael essentially calling it one of the most boring fights ever. Might still try and catch it out if morbid curiosity.

I expect Dubois to win tonight, probably with a stoppage mid-late. Not sure how great he is / will be, but Joyce is pretty slow on his feet and has a nasty habit of using his face to block punches, which is not an ideal combination with Dubois apparent power.

29 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

Was too tired to stay up so thought I’d look it out this morning, went on twitter first thing and (amongst many others) saw Fast Eddie and Dan Rafael essentially calling it one of the most boring fights ever. Might still try and catch it out if morbid curiosity.

Definitely try and have a look if you can, just to be able to witness how little actually happened. Does Kellerman do the commentary for Dazn? It sounded like him on the stream I was watching. Try and watch it with his commentary if so, he was genuinely upset as early as the 3rd round by just how bad the fight was. 

Definitely try and have a look if you can, just to be able to witness how little actually happened. Does Kellerman do the commentary for Dazn? It sounded like him on the stream I was watching. Try and watch it with his commentary if so, he was genuinely upset as early as the 3rd round by just how bad the fight was. 

I can’t remember who it was, but someone tweeted along the lines of “and Jacobs-Rosado has broken out in to a spar” around the time of the middle rounds, which made me laugh and I assume is a good indication of how pedestrian it was. Bizarre considering the amount of shit they were talking in the build up to try and hype things.

11 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

I can’t remember who it was, but someone tweeted along the lines of “and Jacobs-Rosado has broken out in to a spar” around the time of the middle rounds, which made me laugh and I assume is a good indication of how pedestrian it was. Bizarre considering the amount of shit they were talking in the build up to try and hype things.

I think that’s why the commentators were so angry. I didn’t see any of the build up but they were properly raging at Jacobs after what he had apparently been saying all week. I’ve never heard commentary like it tbh, every round that passed where the ‘punches landed’ stat didn’t get into double figures made them worse. 

Seen quotes attributed to Jacobs on twitter from his post fight press conference where he’s said he didn’t feel like he was in a fight and it felt more like a sparring session in the gym. Very strange. 

Couple of my pals phoning me earlier saying they are going to buy the Tyson PPV now that knockdowns are allowed :lol: Absolutely nothing to do with trying to fleece as much PPV money from gullible clowns as possible. I will be absolutely astonished if this is anything more than a glorified spar.  Posted last week about bookies laying odds on the fight and I noticed during the week they are no longer running a market for it, which is absolutely the right decision. 

BT trying to sell the fight during the Man City game there by proudly announcing Jake Paul is on the undercard, the mind boggles. 

Badou Jack on third last behind some dobber Youtuber that started boxing about 18 months ago, and a 54 year old Mike Tyson that last fought 15 years ago. Hawd me back. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

Only thing I’m holding out hope for is that one of Tyson or Jones Jr gets pissed off at something, or someone tries to pull a fly move and they end up just banging it out. They’ve both been at the very top of the sport and will still have a bit of that savage mentality.

On the other hand it’s two guys in their 50s that haven’t fought professionally in years and they will be pulling in a 7 figure sum at least, no matter the outcome. 

3 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

So how big a deal is the joyce v de bois fight?

Are they genuine top fighters of the future?

I've been listening to the bbc boxing podcast a lot recently, and they've got me interested in fights like these.

Dubois has the potential to be at elite level, Joyce not so much. Joyce had a long and successful amateur career and won a Silver medal at the Olympics, age isn’t on his side. 

Dubois does have age on his side and will be looking to dispose of Joyce and open the door to bigger fights. It’s probably not a massive fight to anyone outside the UK but it’s two undefeated British heavyweights, both operating at a moderately high level and both with a chance of getting the win. Should be a good watch. 

1 hour ago, IrishBhoy said:

Couple of my pals phoning me earlier saying they are going to buy the Tyson PPV now that knockdowns are allowed :lol: Absolutely nothing to do with trying to fleece as much PPV money from gullible clowns as possible. I will be absolutely astonished if this is anything more than a glorified spar.  Posted last week about bookies laying odds on the fight and I noticed during the week they are no longer running a market for it, which is absolutely the right decision. 

BT trying to sell the fight during the Man City game there by proudly announcing Jake Paul is on the undercard, the mind boggles. 

Badou Jack on third last behind some dobber Youtuber that started boxing about 18 months ago, and a 54 year old Mike Tyson that last fought 15 years ago. Hawd me back. 

I thought the Tyson/Jones charade was on BT Sport 1 at 0100?