Meth Damon

Boxing Thread

Yup, too big and too skilled. I had it 7-5 Lopez (6-6 if being really generous to Loma, but I don’t think so...119-109 is ludicrous). I’ve no doubt Lomachenko’s game plan was to start slow and build from about round 3, but while Lopez was so fresh he just couldn’t get in range to work due to Lopez size and ability to counter. His body work early on was really good too. I hadn’t given nearly enough credence to what a difference there would be in size, Lopez looked like a middleweight in comparison. Would imagine we’ll see him move up to 140 soon.

Interesting to see where Loma goes now. Common sense would be back down a division where the size disparity isn’t such an issue, but just not sure there’s enough of a challenge there for him.

Well can’t argue with the result but 119-109 was outrageous...

I fancied a Lopez win to be honest but it was a close fight in the end! Took Loma 7 rounds to get anything out the fight but credit to Lopez as he never let Loma get in range but I think he was concerned about the power Lopez carried!

Would we be interested in Taylor v Lopez if Lopez moves up?

Wonder why the scorecards are what they are?

Screenshot_20201018-095144_Twitter.jpeg

Edited by kiddy

Scored Loma fight a draw but certainly would not argue with Lopez winning the fight. 119-109 is Ritson levels of skull duggery though.

I listened to a Hearn interview this morning about his disgust of the result!

I love Lopez as a fighter but his dad is a fud!!!

He’s a total w****r. Very much in the Angel Garcia mould. Horrible.

Will need to watch it back again, but I 100% gave Lopez 1,3,4,5 and 12, 100% gave Loma 8,9,10 and 11, thought he did enough for 7, and Garcia did enough for 2 and 6, giving the 7-5 Lopez. As I said, if being generous you could give Loma one of 2 or 6 (or both) but I think that’d be very generous.

It was a bit like the first Chocolatito - Sor Rungvisai fight (in terms of the fighters themselves rather that the fight, Lopez is considerably more skilled and has a much higher ceiling that SR). Hugely skilled boxing legend trying to test himself and cement his legacy by going up a weight that’s really too big for him against a guy that is just way, way more comfortable in that division.

I’d quite like to see a rematch to see if Loma would start faster and how that would effect things. When he pushed the pressure he did hurt Lopez on a couple of occasions and Lopez was demonstrably tiring, but equally, if he did, with Lopez size, reach and power, and what he learned last night, there’s every chance he could catch him clean on the way in early. Would be intriguing stuff. Shame there’s no rematch clause so unlikely to happen.

Just started watching a replay. From round 1, Lopez doing something I love to see, that straight right into the gut. Especially good against Southpaws but a vastly underused punch

He’s a total w****r. Very much in the Angel Garcia mould. Horrible.

Will need to watch it back again, but I 100% gave Lopez 1,3,4,5 and 12, 100% gave Loma 8,9,10 and 11, thought he did enough for 7, and Garcia did enough for 2 and 6, giving the 7-5 Lopez. As I said, if being generous you could give Loma one of 2 or 6 (or both) but I think that’d be very generous.

It was a bit like the first Chocolatito - Sor Rungvisai fight (in terms of the fighters themselves rather that the fight, Lopez is considerably more skilled and has a much higher ceiling that SR). Hugely skilled boxing legend trying to test himself and cement his legacy by going up a weight that’s really too big for him against a guy that is just way, way more comfortable in that division.

I’d quite like to see a rematch to see if Loma would start faster and how that would effect things. When he pushed the pressure he did hurt Lopez on a couple of occasions and Lopez was demonstrably tiring, but equally, if he did, with Lopez size, reach and power, and what he learned last night, there’s every chance he could catch him clean on the way in early. Would be intriguing stuff. Shame there’s no rematch clause so unlikely to happen.

The no rematch clause baffled me... or was he overly confident??

I would love to see Lopez v Tank but looking more likely to be Haney! Loma never looked comfortable when he was caught and especially to the body, out the first 6 I maybe gave Loma the 2 and a few pick Um rounds later on but 9,10,11 was all Loma he just couldn’t get started and that was down to Lopez being excellent!

Yup that’s exactly who I compare to him and angel is a horrid wee person! Both fighters are likeable but as soon as they are with their dads they become complete arseholes but Americans buy into all that nonsense!

Lee Selby-George Kambosos Jr. winner will be first mandatory challenger for Teofimo Lopez

BJ Saunders fighting Martin Murray (who's ranked 12 by the WBO) Dec 4.

Naw, really, that's what Eddie's dishing up.

BJ Saunders fighting Martin Murray (who's ranked 12 by the WBO) Dec 4.
Naw, really, that's what Eddie's dishing up.

I used to really like Martin Murray as a fighter, about 8 or 9 years ago. Then he fell away and became non relevant. That was about 4 or 5 years ago maybe. I genuinely didnt know he was still fighting.

I used to really like Martin Murray as a fighter, about 8 or 9 years ago. Then he fell away and became non relevant. That was about 4 or 5 years ago maybe. I genuinely didnt know he was still fighting.
Find Murrays fights boring as f**k to watch

Usyk giving some quality mad eyes there at the end of the face off with Chisora. 

Usyk giving some quality mad eyes there at the end of the face off with Chisora. 

Deeeeeereck...

Hello Deeeereck

Usyk looks in fantastic shape. Giving away three stone to Chisora but really don't think that matters so much.Can see it being a similar contest to the Bellew fight. 

Usyk looks in fantastic shape. Giving away three stone to Chisora but really don't think that matters so much.Can see it being a similar contest to the Bellew fight. 
Yes, but with Chisora tiring and getting wild much sooner. He is tailor made for Usyk really. Seen Bellew talking midweek about Usyks footwork and not having an answer for it. Chisora is game but I suspect he will be worn out quickly by one of the most intelligent fighters there is.