Meth Damon

Boxing Thread

1 hour ago, Cowshed Chris said:

Interested to hear why folk think Whyte is a knob. Aside from the carry-on with Chisora (which I blame Chisora for in the main) I've always found him quite likeable.

He’s spent the last three years giving it the big “I am” or being a big whining crybaby when (for me at least) he’s never been all that convincing.

He’s spent the last three years giving it the big “I am” or being a big whining crybaby when (for me at least) he’s never been all that convincing.
He's been absolutely shafted by the WBC, I'm not sure anyone could deny that. In the meantime, he's taken on plenty of good opponents and has shown up well. Even last night he was in complete control before being caught with a shot.

That punch would have knocked out any boxer (admittedly he was open to the uppercut since the first bell) and I think that he's a difficult fight for any of the top guys. His interviews on IFL TV and the other YouTube channels are always entertaining also, comes across well.

He's been absolutely shafted by the WBC, I'm not sure anyone could deny that. In the meantime, he's taken on plenty of good opponents and has shown up well. Even last night he was in complete control before being caught with a shot.

That punch would have knocked out any boxer (admittedly he was open to the uppercut since the first bell) and I think that he's a difficult fight for any of the top guys. His interviews on IFL TV and the other YouTube channels are always entertaining also, comes across well.

Still a Knob though

Povetkin is shot but was previously miles better than Whyte has ever been. It's no surprise they had a shootout and could easily go the other way next time. Povetkin doesnt appear to have much punch resistance left. Whyte is shit but he can grind out results.

Their level is putting on fun fights and staying out of title business.

19 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Povetkin is shot but was previously miles better than Whyte has ever been. It's no surprise they had a shootout and could easily go the other way next time. Povetkin doesnt appear to have much punch resistance left. Whyte is shit but he can grind out results.

Their level is putting on fun fights and staying out of title business.

This is what I was getting at when I said Whyte has never been all that convincing. The Spurs of boxing

13 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

This is what I was getting at when I said Whyte has never been all that convincing. The Spurs of boxing

Boxing is a results business, so you have to credit Whyte for his run of the last few years but skills wise he is a terrible fighter and just like Wilder would always get unpicked by top guys. It's just that there are so few of those at heavy that it hadnt really happened since AJ. 

It's a fantastic KO by Povetkin, luring Whye closer with his habit to lean forward before absolutely smashing him with the uppercut.

I had the fight all square going into the 5th. The first 2 Whyte wasnt doing too much and I prefer a more pro-active fighter which Povetkin was. 

Killer uppercut, that'll smash your jaw in. Fantastic to see Whyte do a runner and not want to talk to the media, gobshite. 

I had the fight all square going into the 5th. The first 2 Whyte wasnt doing too much and I prefer a more pro-active fighter which Povetkin was. 
Killer uppercut, that'll smash your jaw in. Fantastic to see Whyte do a runner and not want to talk to the media, gobshite. 
The back matchroom fighters to the hilt attitude of the sky commentary team irks me. I thought povetkin had the first two rounds clearly, third was close and 4th was clearly whyte but what last night showed again, is why boxing in particular is such a true definition of sport, a single moment can turn defeat into victory.

Sent from my J8210 using Pie and Bovril mobile app

I don't see how you could possibly have scored the first three rounds to Povetkin. Round 1 was close, prob edged Povetkin. Round 2 and 3 were clear wins for Whyte though and obviously the 10-7 in the 4th. Guess it's all about opinions...

15 minutes ago, Cowshed Chris said:
25 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

I don't see how you could possibly have scored the first three rounds to Povetkin. 

I don't see how you possibly can't read properly. 

Just now, Cowshed Chris said:
9 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:
I don't see how you possibly can't read properly. 

In what respect?

I had the fight all square going into the fifth. 

That means 4 rounds were completed. 

Half of four is two. 

Half of four is two. 
Yes but round 4 was obviously a 10-7 round to whyte

2 minutes ago, jaggyness said:
3 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:
Half of four is two. 

Yes but round 4 was obviously a 10-7 round to whyte

Right enough, I've fucked up there. 

Some shot and Whyte simply didn’t see it. Whyte did that wee dip to his left once too often and Povetkin knew where Whyte’s chin was going to be when he popped back up. 

Hopefully clears the path a bit to AJ v Fury. 

I wouldn't say he was a knob. I found him quite likeable too whenever I see him in any non-boxing related capacity. What does annoy me about him though are those bloody annoying howls he does.

Or the anal beads he wears at press conferences!!! He worked extremely hard to get where he has and I hope he gets a title shot..... don’t see him winning one but he deserves it

Taylor fighting Khongsong in a tv studio, on BT, Sat Sept 26.