Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

Chisora v Usyk is like feeding a mouse to a snake. Chisora has put in some good displays recently but once Usyk gets his timing he’ll destroy him with his footwork. Can see Usyk getting the stoppage by about 7th or 8th round.

Pretty buzzing for Wilder v Fury. Can see them both coming in better than they were last time. Wilder now looks patient and savage and the way Fury smashed up Schwartz shows the pillow fist jibe is maybe unfair. Really can’t see it as anything other than 50/50 and whoever wins will hopefully show us something spectacular.

Chisora v Usyk is like feeding a mouse to a snake. Chisora has put in some good displays recently but once Usyk gets his timing he’ll destroy him with his footwork. Can see Usyk getting the stoppage by about 7th or 8th round.
Pretty buzzing for Wilder v Fury. Can see them both coming in better than they were last time. Wilder now looks patient and savage and the way Fury smashed up Schwartz shows the pillow fist jibe is maybe unfair. Really can’t see it as anything other than 50/50 and whoever wins will hopefully show us something spectacular.

Hopefully it’s just volume of work that sees it stopped later on as Del Boy tires, rather than a concussive KO. Be good to see Usyk working out bigger guys as well. Del Boy could hurt him early if he can land but expect Usyk will work him out and stop him later in the fight.
Feel the same way about the Wilder Fury rematch as the first tbh. Wilder might be able to keep him down this time, Fury might be able to avoid getting put down this time. Can’t see Fury meeting him in the middle early and looking to go punch for punch, he’d be fucking mental too tbh

34 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

Hopefully it’s just volume of work that sees it stopped later on as Del Boy tires, rather than a concussive KO. Be good to see Usyk working out bigger guys as well. Del Boy could hurt him early if he can land but expect Usyk will work him out and stop him later in the fight.
Feel the same way about the Wilder Fury rematch as the first tbh. Wilder might be able to keep him down this time, Fury might be able to avoid getting put down this time. Can’t see Fury meeting him in the middle early and looking to go punch for punch, he’d be fucking mental too tbh

Wilder and Fury should mix it up. Wilder jab Fury’s gut for 12 rounds and Fury to try and decapitate Wilder. 

Wilder and Fury should mix it up. Wilder jab Fury’s gut for 12 rounds and Fury to try and decapitate Wilder. 

That’d certainly be interesting. I’d fancy Wilder if Fury plants his feet and Wilder tries the jab & move.

14 hours ago, Detournement said:

Usyk couldn't put Briedis down. Vitali couldn't put Del Boy down. 

Chisora is obviously older but I think it's unlikely Usyk stops him. 

Wasn't so much picturing Usyk sparking him out, rather Chisora tiring and being unable to defend himself. Good matchup for both guys though. 

Wasn't so much picturing Usyk sparking him out, rather Chisora tiring and being unable to defend himself. Good matchup for both guys though. 
Referee stoppage for unanswered shots to the head is how Usyk will get guys out at heavyweight and it's very possible. Specially with relative plodders like Chisora.

Good interview on Boxing Social's YouTube with Josh Taylor. Talks about the split with the McGuigans, trying out new trainers (sounds like he might appoint Adam Booth or Ben Davison for this next fight (that should be in Britain) and take it from there. 

17 hours ago, AB de Villiers said:

Vitali was extremely old, and was struggling to put away Shannon Briggs around the same time despite nearly killing him. He retired not long after.

Chisora was put down by Whyte who isn’t exactly the biggest puncher.

Usyk may or may not stop him but triangle theories don’t work.

Whyte had to eat a lot of punches to get in a position to land the winning punch (which would have floored anyone).

Briggs is a walking PED experiment. No clean fighter would have lasted 12 rounds of that punishment. 

I think Fury fighting on the inside might be the answer, wilders power comes through leverage and keeping him in the pocket will totally nullify that. I’m not sure he can stay out of range for 12 rounds but it’ll be interesting to see. Not a massive fan of either fighter to be honest but I want to win.

Something is telling me to punt on Wilder KO in the 8th tho

On 01/02/2020 at 20:06, quickoverayard said:

I think Fury fighting on the inside might be the answer, wilders power comes through leverage and keeping him in the pocket will totally nullify that. I’m not sure he can stay out of range for 12 rounds but it’ll be interesting to see. Not a massive fan of either fighter to be honest but I want to win.

Something is telling me to punt on Wilder KO in the 8th tho

Been some decent interviews around the subject. Ben Davison says he warned Fury about this little tick/reset that he does. He wipes his nose or lips when he's taking a moment to recover and Davison said he warned him he needs to add a step back/out the way when he does it. Wilder's team must have spotted this tick as in the 12th it was that little lapse/tick when Wilder floored him. Wilder doesn't joke when he says you need to be perfect for 36 minutes against him. 

Been some decent interviews around the subject. Ben Davison says he warned Fury about this little tick/reset that he does. He wipes his nose or lips when he's taking a moment to recover and Davison said he warned him he needs to add a step back/out the way when he does it. Wilder's team must have spotted this tick as in the 12th it was that little lapse/tick when Wilder floored him. Wilder doesn't joke when he says you need to be perfect for 36 minutes against him. 

Always reminds me of Freddie Roach talking about Ricky Hatton fist pumping before throwing a shot. It was the cue for Manny lamping him.

I don’t know if I buy into this with wilder being patient, setting traps etc. I get the impression that his trainer doesn’t know what the hell hes talking about and all wilder is or has to offer if one punch.... what a fucker of a punch it is!!!!

So I agree that you need to be perfect for 36 minutes

I don’t know if I buy into this with wilder being patient, setting traps etc. I get the impression that his trainer doesn’t know what the hell hes talking about and all wilder is or has to offer if one punch.... what a fucker of a punch it is!!!!

Yeah.... I read a lot of people crediting Wilder with some sort of breakthrough into boxing brilliance and tactical genius against Ortiz. I tend to think that Wilder was getting badly outboxed by the much better boxer, but now as per the whole of Wilders career, that simply doesnt matter. He just skins the cat a different way, and that will continue to work for him spectacularly until someone pitches the shutout.

Tyson Fury very nearly did, indeed Wilders bit equaliser was only enough to equalise on that occasion, but it's no slight on Wilder to say that its how he wins and nothing to be ashamed of. Just dont expect me to go looming for something that isnt there (a high level boxing IQ) because it detracts from the level of Wilders real game, which might be the best theres ever been at it. There have been bigger, heavier, stronger guys than Wilder, but the punching power he generates is in it's own right worthy of the history books.

4 hours ago, quickoverayard said:

Seems to be quite a different approach between Wilder’s manager/pad man Jay Deas, and his coach (Mark Brealand). Brealand is almost in tears when he talks about how frustrating it is that Wilder won’t follow his game plans then you have Deas and Wilder that just want to wait for that chance to spark folk out. 

9 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

It’s safe to say Wilder isn’t the best boxer, but he’s got a right hand from the gods.

No idea how the second fight will go, other than it’ll be a Wilder KO or Fury points win.

Does anyone genuinely believe Fury is going to go for the KO as he's been insisting?   I just can't see it,  it's an old saying but you don't punch with a puncher.  

Yeah.... I read a lot of people crediting Wilder with some sort of breakthrough into boxing brilliance and tactical genius against Ortiz. I tend to think that Wilder was getting badly outboxed by the much better boxer, but now as per the whole of Wilders career, that simply doesnt matter. He just skins the cat a different way, and that will continue to work for him spectacularly until someone pitches the shutout.

Tyson Fury very nearly did, indeed Wilders bit equaliser was only enough to equalise on that occasion, but it's no slight on Wilder to say that its how he wins and nothing to be ashamed of. Just dont expect me to go looming for something that isnt there (a high level boxing IQ) because it detracts from the level of Wilders real game, which might be the best theres ever been at it. There have been bigger, heavier, stronger guys than Wilder, but the punching power he generates is in it's own right worthy of the history books.

His power imo comes from leverage and people walking into the punch. I seen the interview with Ben Davison and his breakdown of the fight/game plan was pretty spot on. Fighting him on the inside may be a stroke of genius but I see Fury doing the same thing as he did last fight. I reckon shorter fighters would cause wilder all kinds of problems.

Intrigued to see how this plays out, for the sake of boxing I hope Fury wins then we are more likely to see an undisputed champion.