Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

19 hours ago, DigOutYourSoul said:

Okay so being racist, homophobic and quite blatantly bigoted is fine because he punches people.

Glad we cleared that up.

That's far too simplistic. 

I don't think anyone on here is excusing racism or homophobia. I've said before on P&B though that if you judge a pro boxer by his character outside of the ring you'll be disappointed. The history of the sport has shown this repeatedly. 

11 minutes ago, Boostin' Kev said:

I don't think anyone on here is excusing racism or homophobia. I've said before on P&B though that if you judge a pro boxer by his character outside of the ring you'll be disappointed. The history of the sport has shown this repeatedly. 

Sadly you're right more often than not, but there are contrary examples.

George Foreman springs to mind. 

7 minutes ago, sjc said:

Sadly you're right more often than not, but there are contrary examples.

George Foreman springs to mind. 

Why, do you know him personally? 

The fact is that people congratulate Josh for having that mean, spiteful mentality to take him to the level he's reached so quickly. This is the side effect of it, no excusing or saying it's ok but it's part of the whole package. 

You reckon wrong.

It's not a case of defending him. Pro boxers that make it to the top of the sport or any level on the way to it tend to be not very nice people that's why they make it to that level. 

As long as he keeps fighting the way he does will do well. 

21 hours ago, Boostin' Kev said:

Why? All pro boxers aren't very nice people. They're earning a living trying to take another man's head off his shoulders basically. 

21 hours ago, Boostin' Kev said:

You'd be better off puting your hopes into rugby or cricket or something like that if you want a hero nice guy. 

20 hours ago, Boostin' Kev said:

Josh may as well give it up now if kiddy thinks he'll never make the MGM. 

1 hour ago, Boostin' Kev said:

43 minutes ago, Boostin' Kev said:

Why, do you know him personally? 

The fact is that people congratulate Josh for having that mean, spiteful mentality to take him to the level he's reached so quickly. This is the side effect of it, no excusing or saying it's ok but it's part of the whole package. 

20 minutes ago, Boostin' Kev said:

You reckon wrong.

It's not a case of defending him. Pro boxers that make it to the top of the sport or any level on the way to it tend to be not very nice people that's why they make it to that level. 

As long as he keeps fighting the way he does will do well. 

The absolute state of this guy.

Theres two sides to the coin here. A lot of boxong fans are fully aware that many pro boxers are arseholes. As fans of the spirt they do not care. However in this day and age of dans getting (and feeling the need) to know everything about the sportspeople they follow, it presents a greater difficulty in separating the art from the artist.

If you are someone that holds others to the same set of standards regardless of what capacity you interact with them then aye, get stuck into Taylor. Hes an arse.

If you are someone who doesnt give a shit what he does outside the ring, then as you were.

I do agree with Kev to an extent, if you want a role model outside of sport, probably best not select boxing as your hunting ground. Law of averages etc.

For me personally, I am having a hard time with this because I love what he does in the ring, but I dont know if I could bring myself to buy tickets for one of his fights now.

4 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Theres two sides to the coin here. A lot of boxong fans are fully aware that many pro boxers are arseholes. As fans of the spirt they do not care. However in this day and age of dans getting (and feeling the need) to know everything about the sportspeople they follow, it presents a greater difficulty in separating the art from the artist.

If you are someone that holds others to the same set of standards regardless of what capacity you interact with them then aye, get stuck into Taylor. Hes an arse.

If you are someone who doesnt give a shit what he does outside the ring, then as you were.

I do agree with Kev to an extent, if you want a role model outside of sport, probably best not select boxing as your hunting ground. Law of averages etc.

For me personally, I am having a hard time with this because I love what he does in the ring, but I dont know if I could bring myself to buy tickets for one of his fights now.

For me it is a major disappointment.

He's the best Scottish boxer there's been for years, with the chance to be one of the absolute best in the world. 

And just an absolute embarrassment.

The people defending him on twitter are just as bad, everything that's wrong with some elements of our younger generation.

Really hope he can get his act together and do Scotland proud. But I can't see it.

I also thought he should have narrowly lost the prograis fight.

For me it is a major disappointment.
He's the best Scottish boxer there's been for years, with the chance to be one of the absolute best in the world. 
And just an absolute embarrassment.
The people defending him on twitter are just as bad, everything that's wrong with some elements of our younger generation.
Really hope he can get his act together and do Scotland proud. But I can't see it.
I also thought he should have narrowly lost the prograis fight.

Good post up until the last sentence.

Anyway, Chavez Jnr comes in 5lbs overweight. What an absolute waste of space he really is.

It’s more disappointing that he is Scottish to be fair, I agree that to be a professional fighter you have to have a nasty streak.... also have to be professional and that’s something he’s proving not to be. The gear doesn’t shock me as everyone knows it’s how he got away with it which confuses me.

He has all the talented in the world but sadly nothing between the ears, he could and should be a superstar so hopefully he uses this as a learning curve.