Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

AJ sort of hinting that the "problem" was in his camp. Not enough sparring? (5 Live podcast). Always looked like he spent more time on the weights than sparring, just from his body shape. Even though he was so spaced out he doesn't remember much after being belted by Ruiz in the third round (not the shot that dropped him) it still took Ruiz a while to get him out of there. Are folk making too much of Ruiz's ability? Really don't see Wilder or Fury losing any sleep over facing Ruiz and AJ had him down in the 3rd but got concussed and after that was a sitting duck. 

7 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

AJ sort of hinting that the "problem" was in his camp. Not enough sparring? (5 Live podcast). Always looked like he spent more time on the weights than sparring, just from his body shape. Even though he was so spaced out he doesn't remember much after being belted by Ruiz in the third round (not the shot that dropped him) it still took Ruiz a while to get him out of there. Are folk making too much of Ruiz's ability? Really don't see Wilder or Fury losing any sleep over facing Ruiz and AJ had him down in the 3rd but got concussed and after that was a sitting duck. 

Sparring is the fundamentals of boxing, if you dont spar you dont get a feel for reflexes or the ability to see punches coming. Ruiz will knock him out again imo, AJ just isnt as good as sky want us to think 

Zolani Tete just got flattened by Casimero for the WBO Bantamweight title in 3. Tete pulled out of the Super Series before facing Donaire in the Semi. Casimero scudded Charlie Edwards a year or so back. Casimero/Inoue looks tasty for the future.

Zolani Tete just got flattened by Casimero for the WBO Bantamweight title in 3. Tete pulled out of the Super Series before facing Donaire in the Semi. Casimero scudded Charlie Edwards a year or so back. Casimero/Inoue looks tasty for the future.

Inoue beats him, Sultan comfortably beat Casimero.

Glad to see Tete lose, always moaned abo it not getting fights yet fought nobody and shat the super series.

What do people think about the Ruiz Joshua rematch?

Joshua is favourite but I just think that Ruiz totally outclassed him in the last fight.  I won some money on the first fight by betting on Ruiz and am considering putting money on an early Ruiz KO.  I think Joshua might have already lost i his head.

Joshua is favourite but I just think that Ruiz totally outclassed him in the last fight.  I won some money on the first fight by betting on Ruiz and am considering putting money on an early Ruiz KO.  I think Joshua might have already lost i his head.

Joshua was outclassed, not beaten by a lucky punch as it is portrayed. Joshua and his camp have been a total embarrassment recently saying he wasn’t fighting for anything, conspiracy etc, Miller’s fault, Wilder’s fault, Fury’s fault, Frank Warren’s fault every single conspiracy theory you can find has been linked to what happened in Joshua’s dressing room. Joshua losing again would be superb for British boxing, maybe we finally will go back to getting free 50/50 fights on the regular with the best fighting the best.

9 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I fancy Ruiz to do the job again.

I dunno. Immediately after the first fight I thought Ruiz will win the rematch, and he may well, but Joshua has the power to stop him. Ruiz is quick and dangerous, he caught him on the side of the head with a good shot that put him in trouble and he couldn’t recover from it.
I think Joshua needs to stop him fairly early or he will get clobbered again. Doubts about his camp and his mentality going into this too but I just have a feeling he might pull it off.

I dunno. Immediately after the first fight I thought Ruiz will win the rematch, and he may well, but Joshua has the power to stop him. Ruiz is quick and dangerous, he caught him on the side of the head with a good shot that put him in trouble and he couldn’t recover from it.
I think Joshua needs to stop him fairly early or he will get clobbered again. Doubts about his camp and his mentality going into this too but I just have a feeling he might pull it off.

The thing is Joshua doesn’t have one punch power to ice somebody with a single punch. His knockouts usually come from volume. When he’s laying into Ruiz, Ruiz will always be punching Joshua back and countering him as that’s his style. Joshua has no head movement so he’ll always be eating these punches. The styles just don’t match up for Joshua. I think the ways Joshua wins are wearing Ruiz down and stopping him (unlikely considering Joshua’s poor stamina and Ruiz’s great stamina) or just boxing Ruiz at range and keeping him on the end of the jab (although I’m not sure Joshua is patient or skilled enough to do it for 12).

I think you have to caveat at it with the fact that Ruiz outclassed a concussed Joshua. The shorter, faster (than Joshua) guys like Povetkin, Takam and Ruiz have all exposed a problem with him being caught a bit flat footed and not protecting or moving his head but instead of just wobbling him Ruiz left him not knowing where he was. Yes, he could just jab and hold Ruiz but I think Joshua will want to take him out and the longer the fight goes the more risk for Joshua of him tiring and getting hit hard again. Avoid getting hit with a shot like that again and I think AJ can go through him. Full credit to him if he does it but a Ruiz win perhaps makes it easier to then make more big fights.