Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

It’s never going to happen, but the dream scenario for me would be him beating Ramirez to become undisputed, Lomachenko beats Commey, and then they have a super fight at Edinburgh Castle. Will never happen in a million years, but just imagine how incredible it would be.

Not seen the fight yet, but looking forward to watching it, sounds tremendous.
Edinburgh Castle doesn't have an alcohol licence for events, unless they get something organised. f**k having a boxing event with no booze!!

Taylor might only have a couple more fights then call it a day. Ramirez at a classic venue in the US then sign off with something special at Easter Road. 

Would like to see him have a few more than that. If Ramirez takes that fight I’d like to see it next in the states but I doubt he would. Barrios is another option for over there, as is a Prograis rematch.

Over here I wouldn’t be surprised to see something like Catterall or Ritson.

43 minutes ago, Tarmo Kink said:

Would like to see him have a few more than that. If Ramirez takes that fight I’d like to see it next in the states but I doubt he would. Barrios is another option for over there, as is a Prograis rematch.

Over here I wouldn’t be surprised to see something like Catterall or Ritson.

Although Ritson is now one of his mandatories I don’t think he feels Ritson is on his level yet and needs to prove himself against a top level fighter before getting a pop at him. Josh said it himself a couple of days back that he could just be a couple of fights from retiring as he’d have achieved all he set out to do. 

6 hours ago, ICTChris said:

What other British boxer in modern times has fought to he level that Taylor has his first 16 fights? Taylor has fought

7th fight he fought an experienced domestic guy and won title
10th fight he fought an undefeated prospect
11th fight he fought a former four year world champion, was first to stop him
13th fight he beat Postol, who had only lost previous to Terence Crawford and was ranked in the top 5 light Walters in the world. Clear decision win.
14th fight beat a decent prospect in the super series, absolutely dominated him.
15th fight beat an undefeated world champion
16th fight again beat an undefeated world champion, clearly a top drawer opponent.

I can’t think of anyone who has had that level of opposition in modern British boxing history.

The stats are crazy...

The combined record of the fighters he's faced is 282-62-14.

4 past or present world champions.

4 undefeated boxers.

In just 16 fights.

Last night will go down as one of the biggest nights in Scottish boxing history.

It would almost be easier to rave about Taylor if he wasn't Scottish. Prograis had a spell early on when he looked great.. but Josh broke him in all sorts of ways and I thought it was a more comfortable victory than the Postol fight. It may have been the start of the fifth (IIRC?) where the Sky guys were still raving about Prograis as Taylor came out and battered him with about 20 hard shots to 1 or 2 coming back. There are elements about him that only the very best have - footwork and that ability change angle and distance. So, you have all these neat, skillful attributes but still the thing that stands out is just what an animal he is. Burns being on the same bill made for an interesting comparison. It's all so neat and tidy and almost like polite sparring in comparison to the chaos Taylor and Prograis brought.  

It would almost be easier to rave about Taylor if he wasn't Scottish. Prograis had a spell early on when he looked great.. but Josh broke him in all sorts of ways and I thought it was a more comfortable victory than the Postol fight. It may have been the start of the fifth (IIRC?) where the Sky guys were still raving about Prograis as Taylor came out and battered him with about 20 hard shots to 1 or 2 coming back. There are elements about him that only the very best have - footwork and that ability change angle and distance. So, you have all these neat, skillful attributes but still the thing that stands out is just what an animal he is. Burns being on the same bill made for an interesting comparison. It's all so neat and tidy and almost like polite sparring in comparison to the chaos Taylor and Prograis brought.  

He’s one of the most un-British British boxers I’ve seen. The way he goes the body, the way he can block/parry a shot and counter with the same arm, being able to fight in the pocket without being a slugger, his excellent footwork and much more.

18 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Taylor might only have a couple more fights then call it a day. Ramirez at a classic venue in the US then sign off with something special at Easter Road. 

I'd be disappointed if he retired before he earns the legacy his ability deserves, I'm also a big fan of boxers earning the belts and cash that they want whilst not sustaining to much long term damage to their brains though.

4 hours ago, Tarmo Kink said:

He’s one of the most un-British British boxers I’ve seen. The way he goes the body, the way he can block/parry a shot and counter with the same arm, being able to fight in the pocket without being a slugger, his excellent footwork and much more.

All with no contrived media spin and high level of competition faced at this stage of his pro career, he's a breathe of fresh air for UK boxing. Not surprised to hear the Sky crowd weren't rolling out their usual UK fighter soundbites. 

Ramirez slated to fight Postol in Feb, as mandatory for WBC, though he's ranked 4 (Taylor ranked 1 by them). Incidentally, Jack Catterall is ranked 1 by the WBO!

Would imagine Mario Barrios would be Taylor's mandatory (though has been ordered to rematch Akhmedov) by the WBA, or Apinan KhongSong from Thailand with the IBF. 

Boxrec ranks Postol 4 , Catterall 10, Barrios 26 (WBA Regular?) & KhongSong 94, though he is their Pan Pacific Champ.

Ritson could be a cash fight, but it's not a really suitable time of year for Easter Rd/St. James'.

Rances Barthelemy would be a name fighter, ranked 2 by the WBA. But he exchanged decisions over two fights at Light Welter with Relikh & last fought a draw at L/W with Easter Jr, though HE has just moved up, & fought on Sat night! But he's promoted by Haymon's PBC. 

Ramirez is with Arum's Top Rank. Not sure of the McGuigan's tie up with Eddie's Matchroom/DAZN.

"Ramirez should beat Postol but there are no guarantees. I want him to beat Postol then come to Edinburgh Castle or Madison Square Garden. Because Josh can fight anywhere. That is the one we are interested in. And that is the one he is interested in" - Barry McGuigan

Edited by kiddy

On 27/10/2019 at 18:20, Shandon Par said:

Surely not!  This inside info cos I cant see him retired at 30?

Tank has one of the most padded records going as well. If he moved up to 140 I'm sure Taylor's last 5 opponents would ruin him never mind getting near Taylor himself.

Ramirez and Postol likely to be fighting early Feb so timing not great if Taylor wanted the undisputed fight next. 
Wouldnt be averse to him playing a tune on Tank Davis head tbh. Always wanted to see Loma deal with that shitebag but more than happy for Taylor to do it.

9 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
11 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:
Ramirez and Postol likely to be fighting early Feb so timing not great if Taylor wanted the undisputed fight next. 

Wouldnt be averse to him playing a tune on Tank Davis head tbh. Always wanted to see Loma deal with that shitebag but more than happy for Taylor to do it.

Taylor hates Tank’s big mate Broner so I think he’d be happy to give any of the TMT crew a proper shoeing. Tank is not even tall enough to stick the nut on Taylor like Prograis kept doing.

Taylor hates Tank’s big mate Broner so I think he’d be happy to give any of the TMT crew a proper shoeing. Tank is not even tall enough to stick the nut on Taylor like Prograis kept doing.

Marcis Maidanas bodying of Adrien Broner is something that will live on in my soul, giving it nourishment for as long as I am a boxing fan. Not a fight for the hall of fame, not one for purists or one that will live on in terms of relevance. Just a beautiful, beautiful moment.