Meth Damon

Boxing Thread

11 hours ago, JamieStevenson said:

These days that fight is probably a main event in its own right so fair play if they're taking a back seat to the final. 

Obviously that event will be on Box Office as well.

Haven't seen it 'officially' confirmed anywhere yet, but from the twitter boxing journalists (Coppinger, Benson, etc) it seems like it'll be 26th October in the 02 in London, Taylor v Prograis will main event, Chisora v Parker will be chief support and it'll be on Sky PPV and DAZN, with the card basically co-promoted between WBSS and Matchroom.

Been to both Taylor's fights in the Hydro in the WBSS so far, would very much like to go to the final also.

Say what you want about Eddie / Matchroom / Sky, but their ability to promote and increase the profile of fighters is incredible. Lomachenko will be a name known to almost every sports fan in the UK now after this week with the amount of exposure they've given him, which for a talent like his is absolutely correct. However, prior to the buildup for this fight I 100% do not think that would have been the case. They've treated him like the once-in-a-genration elite level superstar he is, and people are really taking notice it seems.

Really looking forward to the fight on Saturday, and not just to see the best in the world do his thing. Genuinely think that it'll be competitive for at least the first half of the fight, and think that Campbell's physical advantages and ability to box at distance could be relatively frustrating for Loma early on, although I think he'll find a way inside the reach with his feints and footwork by the 5th / 6th round and progressively break Campbell down from there.

Gutted I'm not going down this weekend. Having seen the great man live once at MSG, it's 100% something I want to do again, but too much on at the minute sadly. With the reception he's received and the noises he's making, I wouldn't be surprised if he fights here again though.

Sounds like Campbell has been doing some gruelling sparring and is as ready as he's ever going to be. Sparring two or three guys at once could sound a bit gimmicky but someone with Loma's movement is going to give Campbell no easy way out. Replicating the sense that whatever way he turns Loma will be there waiting sounds like good training for Campbell. 

7 hours ago, J_Stewart said:

Say what you want about Eddie / Matchroom / Sky, but their ability to promote and increase the profile of fighters is incredible.

Hearn/Matchroom aren't alone in this but it's the reason a lot of people, including myself, have found the sport a bit shit the past couple of years.

This has been a pretty enjoyable fight between the two Welshmen. Cordina looks like a very decent prospect.

Has Campbell got any chance tonight?
Well they are trying to sell yet another pishy box office affair so yes, Luke Campbell is definitely the man to beat the finest technician in the sport.

A decent test for Buatsi, still way off world level though, as kept getting caught with an overhand right. Anybody packing a punch could have him in bother. Still a good bit behind Yarde IMO.

He’s got the best chance of anyone at the weight. Do I think he’ll win? No. Do I think it’ll be competitive with Campbell winning some early rounds? Yes.

Campbell is a very good boxer. Big for the weight, very skilled, good footwork, works the body very well and can box at distance, so if anyone has a chance of beating Lomachenko it’s him. I don’t believe he will though.

I don’t think anyone beats Lomachenko until he goes to 140 or even 147, as I’m not sure who the fighter in that light-welterweight division is that beats him. He’s the most talented boxer I’ve ever seen. A phenomenon.

A decent test for Buatsi, still way off world level though, as kept getting caught with an overhand right. Anybody packing a punch could have him in bother. Still a good bit behind Yarde IMO.

Enjoyed the fight. Ford was durable and caught Buatsi with some good overhand rights as you say. As soon as Buatsi went to the body he started paying dividends. Couldn’t shake the feeling Buatsi could have stepped up a gear or two earlier also.

Martinez has just battered Charlie Edwards, but it looked clear as day that the last hook to the body was whilst Edwards was on the deck.

ETA: Seeing the replay, that’s absolutely appalling refereeing. Potentially grounds for a DQ it was so obvious. Wild stuff.

Think the final punch has just got Edwards out of jail. I can only see a no contest/rematch off the back of that.
That he was really going to struggle to beat a count before that landed, is nether here nor there.
Not the Mexican's fault, that's down to the refereeing.

He’s got the best chance of anyone at the weight. Do I think he’ll win? No. Do I think it’ll be competitive with Campbell winning some early rounds? Yes.

Campbell is a very good boxer. Big for the weight, very skilled, good footwork, works the body very well and can box at distance, so if anyone has a chance of beating Lomachenko it’s him. I don’t believe he will though.

I don’t think anyone beats Lomachenko until he goes to 140 or even 147, as I’m not sure who the fighter in that light-welterweight division is that beats him. He’s the most talented boxer I’ve ever seen. A phenomenon.
Thanks. He's 10/1 at bookies so I placed small bet

Charlie Edwards can FRO. 5 mins ago he was giving the guy credit, now he's a cheat?
Dick. Hope the Mexican stops him again.
Bet the rematch never happens.

Just now, Blootoon87 said:

Correct decision there. Edwards got lucky though, that was only going one way.

Yup, really stupid from the Mexican. Even if Edwards had got up from taking the knee it looked like only a matter of time before the stoppage came.