Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

Hopefully neither man gets a ko in the 1st 9 rounds, it'd be good to see what both men have got when they're going toe to toe with the fuel needles nearing empty.

Golovkin 10-12 is 15/2 which I think it pretty good odds, will likely have a flutter on that. Don't see an early or even mid round KO at all here, both guys have got great chins so think it'll be endurance and accumulation that cause a stoppage rather than one big shot.

31 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

Golovkin 10-12 is 15/2 which I think it pretty good odds, will likely have a flutter on that. Don't see an early or even mid round KO at all here, both guys have got great chins so think it'll be endurance and accumulation that cause a stoppage rather than one big shot.

I fancy Alvarez to win but my judgement is probably skewed by thinking a win fro him will be the best result for boxing.

I fancy Alvarez to win but my judgement is probably skewed by thinking a win fro him will be the best result for boxing.

As long as it's not a borefest (and I can't see anyway that it could be) or an early blow out (which I can't see either) I think boxing wins regardless of the outcome. Winner will likely fight winner of BJS v Monroe for all the gold, and as long as the governing bodies don't enforce a mandatory I can see a rematch of tonight's fight for all four of the middleweight titles (don't see either BJS or Monroe beating GGG or Canelo), which is basically the absolute dream, IMO.

1 minute ago, J_Stewart said:

As long as it's not a borefest (and I can't see anyway that it could be) or an early blow out (which I can't see either) I think boxing wins regardless of the outcome. Winner will likely fight winner of BJS v Monroe for all the gold, and as long as the governing bodies don't enforce a mandatory

I was looking at it more for elevating Alvarez to the top few p4p  with potentially  another 5 or 10 years to go.

I honestly can't see it being boring, it might not be the tear up that most want/expect but there will be enough skill of one kind or another to keep serious boxing fans going for a wee while.

Alvarez is possibly still on the rise or at least at his peak a lot depends on whether Golovkin really is on the slide or if he's just not looking as good against better opposition now. He's  only had a tough time against the African American movers and will find Alvarez in the ring no problem at all. Be interesting to see how finally moving up to 160 improves Alvarezs stamina, probably the biggest unknown factor in the fight. 

What

5 hours ago, ayrmad said:

I don't think that ducking an actual weight division for 4 years (with the exception of Liam Smith who was arguably the worst world champion in the whole sport at the time) and being rewarded for it is a good result for boxing.

I've gone for a dream chasing £20 7 fold of:

GGG 10-12
BJS points
Smith KO
Dubois KO
Yarde KO
Murray
De La Hoya

Returns £735. Having just won shy of £500 on a quad (Boro, Wolves, Ipswich, Preston), it would make for a fucking glorious day if the above came in. Sure it'll get fucked somewhere though.

Some night of boxing ahead.

Was reading some of the Sky Sports build up to this with their pundits tips and f**k me what a lot of shite.

Kell Brook blethering some shite about how he showed a blue print of how to beat GGG. Funny that cause from what I remember GGG quickly realised that brook had no power to hurt him and then walked him down and destroyed him.

Then there is everyone's favourite pundit Carl "I don't even watch boxing" Froch who turns it into a dick measuring contest about how GGG wanted to fight him but Froch would have destroyed him because he would be to big and strong for him.

2 hours ago, Boostin' Kev said:

I don't think that ducking an actual weight division for 4 years (with the exception of Liam Smith who was arguably the worst world champion in the whole sport at the time) and being rewarded for it is a good result for boxing.

Considering he's still young I'll happily take him filling the gap as Golovkin's obviously not going to be around for too long.