Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

Alvarez is a plodder with poor stamina and isn't keen on being the aggressor, not sure where he gets this warrior image from.  Good head movement though and throws eye catching combos so huge potential for a robbery.  Should be an easier fight for GGG than Jacobs imo.

A plodder with no stamina but has good head movement and throws eye catching combos...not biting here.

I could quite easily see Canelo nicking it on points as well. It's a complete 50/50 with two of the very best in the world who both get involved in toe-to-toe battles, which is why it's so exciting. I loved both Ward v Kovalev fights (and both fighters), but I know Ward's style isn't for everyone, whereas with this, I just can't see anything other than a war. Also just think Golovkin's pressure, coupled with his ridiculous chin, will be able to take what's being thrown at him, wear down Alvarez and eventually get the late stoppage, possibly with a body shot around 11.
Don't do it often as I usually record, switch WhatsApp off and watch it as soon as I wake up, but contemplating staying up for this one and watching it live. Genuinely can't wait.

I enjoyed ward kov a lot, wasn't as up for the second as much.
I'll be setting an alarm to get up for it. Agree with ggg wearing him down towards the end. Think probably rounds 4-8/9 will be the most open and exciting.

11 minutes ago, NorthernJambo said:

A plodder with no stamina but has good head movement and throws eye catching combos...not biting here.

Not much to disagree with there imo, his footwork and stamina is not good  for someone who's spoken about as being one of the best in the sport.

Golovkin looked a wee bit gaunt at the interview they did before the weigh-in they just showed, but would imagine he'll rehydrate up massively tomorrow. Think this might be the first time in the ring that Canelo's actually the smaller man (the last fight with jnr doesn't count, even his old man was slaughtering Chavez) in a very long time, with his footwork only being good but probably not elite level, that could make a very big difference.

Bjs points
Ggg ko
Smith ko
De la hoya win

50 quid returns 488.

What you guys reckon

It's what I've gone for on the prediction league, the big one could go either way, but it's not a bad quad in my opinion.

24/7 for it is on Boxnation just now. It's a fucking brilliant programme for hyping properly big fights. Liev Schreiber's voiceovers are class as well.

It's what I've gone for on the prediction league, the big one could go either way, but it's not a bad quad in my opinion.

24/7 for it is on Boxnation just now. It's a fucking brilliant programme for hyping properly big fights. Liev Schreiber's voiceovers are class as well.

Think I'll go for it tbh. Only doubt I have is ggg getting the stoppage

8 hours ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

majority of those involved in boxing seem to be going for Canelo's youth. I wouldn't be surprised if he wins as he's faster handed and accurate but fancy GGG to get it done by cutting the ring off and wearing him down.

Alvarez is possibly still on the rise or at least at his peak a lot depends on whether Golovkin really is on the slide or if he's just not looking as good against better opposition now. He's  only had a tough time against the African American movers and will find Alvarez in the ring no problem at all. Be interesting to see how finally moving up to 160 improves Alvarezs stamina, probably the biggest unknown factor in the fight. 

GGG definitely has a much better chance at 160 rather than anything below. Think part of the reason Alvarez's stamina's been so shite is because he's been drained trying to avoid actually moving up to 160 and taking this fight.  Should make a  difference to him now he's not having to weight in 4/5 lbs under.

I'm not sure Canelo will be the bigger man tonight. Purely going by the photos of the weigh-in, Golovkin looked like he'd gone through a proper weight cut and would balloon today, whereas, as you'd expect, Canelo looked a lot closer to how he normally does on fight night. Don't think it'll be a big factor as it'll be Golovkin's ability to cut the ring off and pressure that will make the biggest difference, imo. Will be interesting to see though, cannot wait for this fight.

Shame the interest from the Mayweather v McGregor thread hasn't followed through in to this fight. Really shows what a freak show event it was though.