Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

Lomachenko is skating on thin ice with his showboating. There's a fine line between being entertaining and being a disrespectful twat and he's becoming the latter.

Instead of fannying about showboating step up the pace and stop the boy- which to be fair he eventually did.

He's obviously a great boxer, his judging of distance is great but it's all going well for him just now and he's great when he's on top. We will need to see how he is when he's under the cosh.

Skating on thin ice, aye? He's been hit with only 17% of the punches thrown at him in 10 fights. That ice he's on is pretty thick.

It was clear from the first minute of the first round that Marriaga had nothing to trouble him. He was headlining a free to air card on basic cable in a fight made specifically to increase his star power. A two round blowout isn't going to do that, and isn't his style anyway. A 7 round masterclass in shot selection, distance control and movement, with a bit of showboating inbetween certainly will though.

Genuinely interested in who you think puts him under the cosh? He beats everyone up to 135 with ease, regardless of people coming up (Rigo, Davis), or down (Garcia). Not convinced anyone beats him at 140 either (except Crawford, but he'll be moving up to welterweight shortly anyway).

Could do without the showboating but he's obviously been told to put on a show with it being on ESPN. Think Loma took it for granted a bit, can't imagine him boxing that open against a Garcia or even Flanagan. Really enjoyed watching it though, his movement is unparalleled and he's got power for someone so skilled.

Thought the Beltran decision was a bit daft but I'll admit I didn't score it round by round.

Could do without the showboating but he's obviously been told to put on a show with it being on ESPN. Think Loma took it for granted a bit, can't imagine him boxing that open against a Garcia or even Flanagan. Really enjoyed watching it though, his movement is unparalleled and he's got power for someone so skilled.

Thought the Beltran decision was a bit daft but I'll admit I didn't score it round by round.

Was similar to the GGG v Brook fight I thought in that like GGG knew Brook didn't have the power to hurt him from early on, so just made the decision to put on a show. Lomachenko knew Marriaga had nothing to trouble him from the first bell. He wasn't that open against Walters of Russell Jnr. As you say, when the opposition improves, so does his defensive work.

I didn't score the Beltran v Vasquez fight either but thought Beltran definitely won and by wider than the cards. Didn't think Barboza Jnr looked that great a prospect.

Skating on thin ice, aye? He's been hit with only 17% of the punches thrown at him in 10 fights. That ice he's on is pretty thick.

It was clear from the first minute of the first round that Marriaga had nothing to trouble him. He was headlining a free to air card on basic cable in a fight made specifically to increase his star power. A two round blowout isn't going to do that, and isn't his style anyway. A 7 round masterclass in shot selection, distance control and movement, with a bit of showboating inbetween certainly will though.

Genuinely interested in who you think puts him under the cosh? He beats everyone up to 135 with ease, regardless of people coming up (Rigo, Davis), or down (Garcia). Not convinced anyone beats him at 140 either (except Crawford, but he'll be moving up to welterweight shortly anyway).

Skating on thin ice in terms of pissing off the public and crossing over from being someone everyone wants to see in action to someone that everyone wants to see taken down a peg or two.

He wouldn't have it all his own way at all with Davis- marriaga hit him a few times, Davis would hit him more. Also be a close fight with Garcia and if he ever fought Crawford he would get picked apart all night from a distance.

Didn't realise Tim Bradley announced his retirement last night. Made his money and got out with his health, so fair play to him, shame though as there were a lot of great match-ups left for him in the welterweight division.

Day we get back from holiday and don't fly in to Glasgow until 8pm, so no chance of getting down for it sadly, which is pretty gutting as the atmosphere would be tremendous. Said before, hopefully this ones a very close fight, there's a rematch in Glasgow where the other fighter wins, and then the trilogy in the O2 in London so both get three big pay days. No nicer or more deserving lads in the sport than those two by all accounts.

Always thought Lomachenko moved up too quickly when at the time there were bigger and more interesting fights to be made at 126 and we could've entertained the possibility, slight or not, of some sort of Rigondeaux match up even at catchweight.  130 is a bit more interesting now with Davies and Berchelt starting to get a bigger profile but at the time he moved up it seemed like it was too full of the types of fighter that are tailor made for him.

Marriaga is a very good fighter and a textbook example of there being more to the sport than Boxrec but pulling him up in weight wasn't a good look for Lomachenko at all.

Edited by Boostin' Kev

Didn't realise Tim Bradley announced his retirement last night. Made his money and got out with his health, so fair play to him, shame though as there were a lot of great match-ups left for him in the welterweight division.

"In a statement, referring to his fight against Ruslan Provodnikov, he said, “A few weeks after the fight, I was still affected by the damage that was done. My speech was a little bit off. I was slurring a little bit. But after about two months, I cleared up and I have my wits about me now.”

That fight was a while ago, maybe his symptoms have deteriorated following subsequent fights?

"In a statement, referring to his fight against Ruslan Provodnikov, he said, “A few weeks after the fight, I was still affected by the damage that was done. My speech was a little bit off. I was slurring a little bit. But after about two months, I cleared up and I have my wits about me now.”
That fight was a while ago, maybe his symptoms have deteriorated following subsequent fights?

It's certainly possible, although any time he's broadcasting on HBO (Saturday included) he seems perfectly lucid and fresh. He said his reasoning was purely that he just couldn't find the motivation any more, which is perfectly understandable when you've been a unified two weight world champion, made millions setting yourself up for life and only ever lost twice (although should have been three) and that was to one of the greatest boxers of all time. Made his money and retired with his faculties in check (as far as we know), wish more boxers would do the same, even if it did mean missing out on some great fights in the future.

While he may be very lucid and fresh now, boxers can take a succession of mini strokes, which can certainly go undiagnosed and can effect speech and other motor functions.  It certainly is far more common than people imagine.

I think it was pretty sad that he never quite got the credit for beating Manny.  He certainly had lots more to offer, but glad he can walk away with money and all his faculties like you say J_Stewart.

On ‎08‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 14:41, kiddy said:

Whyte/Chisora rematch?

On ‎08‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 14:51, JamieStevenson said:

I've seen Eggington vs Mimoune today so far and I'm sure Frankie Gavin said he'll have an announcement today. No doubt Eddie was talking about one of these.

He says it's bigger than Cleverley v Badou Jack on the Mayweather undercard. It's not Joshua so I reckon it has to be Bellew v Ward