Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

4 hours ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

Just watched it again had it 95-94after 10

Joshua can't get the 5th 10-8 as he lost the round other than the knockdown.

Gave Joshua rounds 1-5 & 10

Klitschko 6(10-8), 7,8,9

If you gave Joshua the round how did you score that if you didn't make it 10-8?  I scored that round 9-9, I thought Wlad did enough to take the round despite being on the ground, but still penalised him the point for being knocked down.

11 minutes ago, Loki said:

I can't really see why not.  The contract for the second fight has already been agreed.  Wlad will feel he was a bit unfortunate not to get the win and will recognise what he did wrong and look to rectify that.  A second fight will sell relatively easily after how good that fight was.  It will depend if Wlad wants to do it again.  Going on his press conferences after the fight he still seems quite positive.  I can't see him taking any other fight though.

I've been fairly disparaging about Wlad regularly on here but I thought he was in very good nick for a fighter of his age, it was a good close fight but my interest was p***ked through the 10th as I felt Joshua was going to take him out over the remainder of the fight.

If you gave Joshua the round how did you score that if you didn't make it 10-8?  I scored that round 9-9, I thought Wlad did enough to take the round despite being on the ground, but still penalised him the point for being knocked down.

It's ten point must so someone has to get 10 and Wlad gets a point deducted for being KD so gave it 10-9 to Joshua. It's a controversial one but so folk just go with easy option. Could

Just now, The Chlamydia Kid said:

It's ten point must so someone has to get 10 and Wlad gets a point deducted for being KD so gave it 10-9 to Joshua. It's a controversial one but so folk just go with easy option. Could

Yeah I quite often score rounds 10-10 if I don't think either fully deserved a round.  Although it's not the done thing I would give a 10-8 round without a knockdown if the round is won by a wide margin, no judge would ever do that though even though it's merited.

43 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

I've been fairly disparaging about Wlad regularly on here but I thought he was in very good nick for a fighter of his age, it was a good close fight but my interest was p***ked through the 10th as I felt Joshua was going to take him out over the remainder of the fight.

phunked?

Chlamydia's post:lol: I cba typing something like that but I'm glad somebody did. Said what we've all been thinking basically.

My mate told me Joshua was ahead on the scorecards at the time of ko.:lol: Got to hand it to him though he's number one at HW just now.

Edited by The Diabolical One

5 minutes ago, The Diabolical One said:

Chlamydia's post:lol: I cba typing something like that but I'm glad somebody did. Said what we've all been thinking basically.

My mate told me Joshua was ahead on the scorecards at the time of ko.:lol: Got to hand it to him though he's number at HW just now.

Officially he was ahead on the scorecards at the time of the ko.

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I wanted AJ to win, and am well impressed by how he did so because I didnt think he would, but it is slightly souring the whole thing to hear they were all set to shaft Klitschko if needed.

This has blighted boxing since its inception. 

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Well aye, but it was falling into the close but clear category for me in favour of Wlad

Not seen the fight but from what I've heard I don't disagree. Problem is though that judges look at fights differently to each other and everyone else. Some may appreciate the technical side more so than others.

Looking back it was a great fight and you could hardly have scripted it any better.

Both fighters came out of it in a positive light and anyone who doubted either boxer beforehand surely can't deny how good that was. The heavyweight division has been very poor for a long time and it was a great watch.

I get the hatred for matchroom and the pissed up moronic crowd being annoying but it does add to the atmosphere and it feels familiar now. Thought the punditry was ok this time and bellew got it spot on despite acting like a twat towards wilder.

I thought on first watch that Wlad had controlled the fight and easily won but on the second watch he maybe dictated the pace but AJ fought well on the back foot and landed cleaner more effective punches.
However there were a lot of close rounds and I gave AJ the first 5 - be able to make a case for Wlad in most of them. Though I bet the judges just played it safe and gave AJ 10-8 for round 5.

1 hour ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

I thought on first watch that Wlad had controlled the fight and easily won but on the second watch he maybe dictated the pace but AJ fought well on the back foot and landed cleaner more effective punches.
However there were a lot of close rounds and I gave AJ the first 5 - be able to make a case for Wlad in most of them. Though I bet the judges just played it safe and gave AJ 10-8 for round 5.

I think most judges would give AJ a 10-8 for the 5th.  Judges tend to follow the 10-8 rule, I think it would take a lot for a judge not to score a round with a knockdown 10-8.

I thought the first four rounds were split 2-2 but could see the argument for giving AJ all four.  

What's next for AJ? Sure I read Pulev is the mandatory. Doesn't sound too appealing but it's at least a name unlike most of the fights he's had. Pulev was apparently rabbit punching the shit out of Kevin Johnson in his last fight ffs.

On 2017-5-1 at 06:39, The Chlamydia Kid said:

My overall impression of the early rounds(poor stream for 1st half of fight) was that Wlad looked the leaner,more mobile boxer but Joshua' far far better quality of punches was swinging those rounds in his favour, personally I couldn't see how anyone had Wlad in front after 10 rounds but the quality of stream meant I couldn't post such with any great authority.

IMHO a handful of high quality jabs/punches should always outweigh the insignificant tippytappy range finding jabs that Wlad appeared to be throwing.

9 hours ago, JamieStevenson said:

What's next for AJ? Sure I read Pulev is the mandatory. Doesn't sound too appealing but it's at least a name unlike most of the fights he's had. Pulev was apparently rabbit punching the shit out of Kevin Johnson in his last fight ffs.

If Wlad sticks around then I imagine it'll be the rematch next. If not then probably Pulev, it's maybe not that appealing but this is a Pulev that made far easier work of Chisora than Whyte did. 

Would expect Pulev to be paid off, for the moment at least. If no rematch I reckon they'll go after Parker.

Luis Ortiz is also mandatory for the WBA, so he's an option, and it's a fight I'd love to see. Would assume it'll be Pulev (ruling next week apparently) or the Wlad rematch though. Would be good with any of the three really though. Parker or Wilder won't be for a while yet.

Can't believe I'm saying this, but Canelo v Chavez Jnr might actually happen tomorrow, and I'm actually quite excited for it. I think Canelo will win handidly, but I was sure Chavez Jnr would have pulled out by now (supposed there's still time for him to come in overweight as was another thought I had), but seems pretty motivated. As I say, I still think it's a fairly easy nights work for Canelo, but should be a good Cinco de Mayo weekend ruck.

I forgot Ortiz was mandatory for the WBA, but based on his last few fights I don't think he'd trouble Joshua much. You think it's a good fight in the making?
Plan on trying to stay up to watch Canelo. Not a fan of him always fighting at made up weights etc. but really enjoy watching him box.

I think it'd be a really good fight. Ortiz fight with Malik Scott has dampened his reputation somewhat, but it's almost impossible to look good against someone who flat out refuses to engage for the entire fight. Ortiz has very good footwork and handspeed, and throws lovely combinations when he gets in to range, think he could give Joshua trouble with his boxing. Would be very interested to see it.