Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

As a boxer one of the top five or ten of all time. Think you can make a case for him as the best heavyweight of all time, great technician, smart, tough, fast, skilful, solid puncher in his day.

As a person, truly transcended his sport. Quite possibly the most recognisable person on earth and a warm, funny, intelligent, kind and engaging person. He did have flaws, as said above, the way he treated Joe Frazier being the most obvious one. As he grew older he owned up to these and showed contrition to Frazier though.

Absolutely gutted. A man that was great in so many ways. RIP

Why be gutted, the man of yesterday wasn't the man you're gutted for.

Why be gutted, the man of yesterday wasn't the man you're gutted for.

The last five years must have been a horrendous struggle for him. Being so intelligent and eloquent, yet barely able to speak or move coherently.

RIP to the greatest

Also last night I'm not sure if Hilton Whitaker's scorecard for Bey was worse than his one for Williams over Lara a while ago

That is 2 horrific scorecards from him he must have got battered in Havana on holiday sometime.  That was the best I've seen Barthelemy, a lot more aggressive than usual, used his height and jab well and ripped Beys body.

Davis and Plant both looking very powerful again on the undercard.  Good card all round.

The word 'Legend' gets thrown about so often it becomes almost meaningless. It makes it difficult in times like this to find a word to describe someone like Ali.

Probably not an exaggeration to claim he's the greatest sportsman in history.

Spot on.

Anyone actually watching this Liverpool card? It's fucking gash, at least matchrooms latest ones have had a decent main event but this is shite all the way through. Also Beefy having a homecoming when his last two fights have been in Manchester :lol:

George Foreman.

What an absolute gentleman!

Would be interested if there's another aspect to the man but he comes across as a thoroughly decent individual regarding Ali's death and his defeat in the Rumble in the Jungle

Edited by MuckleMoo

On the George Foreman thing I seen him on Sky Sports talking about their fight and he said something along the lines of. " I beat him in the 1st and 2nd I really beat him in the 3rd I beat him in the 4th and 5th and beat him bad in the 6th then he (Ali) leaned to me and said "is that all u got George" (at this point Foreman rolls his eyes) I thought yup thats about all I got "

On the George Foreman thing I seen him on Sky Sports talking about their fight and he said something along the lines of. " I beat him in the 1st and 2nd I really beat him in the 3rd I beat him in the 4th and 5th and beat him bad in the 6th then he (Ali) leaned to me and said "is that all u got George" (at this point Foreman rolls his eyes) I thought yup thats about all I got "

Considering how he was portrayed then, contributed in part by his demeanour at the time, George Foreman has come out of Zaire as the more genuine of the two. It did take him well over a decade to come to terms with the loss, but he always comes across as a genuinely nice guy.

I've never seen footwork as good as Lomachenko's. The quality of his accuracy, hand speed, combinations and defence are just as good. The guy is astonishing. I genuinely think we're watching an all time great in the making.