Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

Salido one of them guys who you watch and throughout the whole fight you think, "I'm glad I don't have to fight him"

There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that Lomachenko (who I still thought won their fight) is going to develop better and have a better professional career for having been in with someone as 'canny' (for that, read dirty) as Salido so early in his career. Will likely have learned more in that one fight than the other five he's had combined.

Salido really is great to watch, fights are rarely anything but enthralling.

The word 'Legend' gets thrown about so often it becomes almost meaningless. It makes it difficult in times like this to find a word to describe someone like Ali.

Probably not an exaggeration to claim he's the greatest sportsman in history. 

The greatest sportsman that ever lived, and one of the most important people, incredible to think that we didn't even get to see him at his peak as well.

The fact that his achievements outside the ring were even more impressive than his boxing is testament to just how influential a man he was. Genuinely helped shape humanity and history around him. There'll never be another like him. He shook up the world.

If you're looking for something a bit different to watch, the 30 for 30 about Ali before the Holmes fight is both intriguing and depressing in equal measure.

https://youtu.be/ONBGPQX69rg

That was 36 years ago and he was in some state. Really sad what happened to him in later life but he's a true colossus both in terms of his sporting achievement and his impact on wider society.

RIP

I got into boxing mostly because of my favourite uncle. Ali was his hero so was always one of mine as a result.

However, I also acknowledge he had Many faults but these were far too often ignored and overlooked due to a collective 'white guilt' and desire to distance themselves from past injustice.

So you had a situation with Ali like you did with Mandela where any young or ill informed person would be repeatedly exposed to the message that these people were saints- they weren't- they were humans that did some bad things as all humans do, but their good far outweighed the bad. It is the distortion of history around Ali that irritates me.

A great character and man of principle who wasn't afraid to stand up for what he believed in, retained his principles in the face of huge opposition and pressure and made massive sacrifices- it's a pity more couldn't be like him instead of sheep. his boxing ability was almost an irrelevance.

Edited by The Chlamydia Kid