Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

21 minutes ago, taurus said:

Who told you judges cant score a round 10 -10 ?

Here is the proper wording.

the winner of each round will [i.e. “must”] receive 10 points, (minus any points deductions for fouls) with the lesser score awarded to the loser of the round (minus any points deductions for fouls).6 There are to be no fraction of points awarded, and in the event of an even round, the score will be 10/10. Even rounds should rarely, if ever happen.

The "Even rounds should rarely, if ever happen" is an ABC guideline in the referees and judges certification process,it doesn't appear in the rules of either the WBA or WBO.

Regarding how rarely they should happen, they should and will happen from time to time if you're being totally fair and as such there is always the probability that more than one will occur in a single fight.

Edited by ayrmad

14 hours ago, Kool Keith said:

Watched it after a few beers and never scored it but thought Kovalev did enough in the first half to win it. Will watch it again tomorrow and keep a scorecard which won't include any 10-10 rounds which is an absolute cop out.

So you've not watched it sober and you can categorically say than anyone giving a 10-10 round is a cop out, guid yin, I spent 25 years in the taxi game and I can assure you that a sober man sees the world differently from one that has had 2 pints never mind your average Scottish "I never had that much" mans night in the pub.

12 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Judges should score more 10-10 rounds imo. Not less or none.

This discouragement of even rounds only forces the picking of a winner where there may not be one and can easily skew the result of a fight.

Competent judges should be able to accurately score an even round just aswell as they can a legitimate 10-9.

Judges aren't only required to score a round they're required to know if it's a close 10-9, a comfortable 10-9 or a 10-9 verging on 10-8, having looked at some cards over the years some judges are quite clearly being biased or they actually don't have the competence to judge what the following 4 criteria actually means.

1. Clean punching (power versus quantity).
  2. Effective aggressiveness.
  3. Ring generalship.
  4. Defense.

There was certainly rounds in the middle of that fight that you could not give to Kovalev if you understand what is required to meet those criteria.

Edited by ayrmad

32 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

So you've not watched it sober and you can categorically say than anyone giving a 10-10 round is a cop out, guid yin, I spent 25 years in the taxi game and I can assure you that a sober man sees the world differently from one that has had 2 pints never mind your average Scottish "I never had that much" mans night in the pub.

I don't think you have any idea what my point was which isn't surprising going by your posting history on P&B.

If you're scoring rounds 10-10 then you can't make a reasonable comparison between your scorecards and the judges because the judges don't have that luxury. In a ten point scoring system you have to pick a winner of the round. The only way you will ever get an even round is, and this is extremely rare, a fighter scores a knockdown but is utterly outboxed for the rest of the round. On that basis I've seen a 9-9 scored. The judges are there to judge. That's why it gets controversial at times. If any of you have been splitting rounds then you have been using a different scoring system. It's like deciding a football match on corners won when everybody else is using goals. I had the exact same score as the judges. I thought that it was all on the last and I gave it to Ward. I thought from round 6 onwards Kovalev was very ineffective and Ward was producing the more eye catching work. If I was using split scoring then Kovalev would have been way ahead because the rounds were very close and I could have been lazy but as I had to make a decision Wards movement and pot shotting saw me edge, marginally, towards him.

It's a 10 point must scoring System. Judges are told to avoid giving split rounds but they still can do it. Therefore a split round would be 10-10 not 9-9.
Now I've not googled it or read up on judging rules but I'd be very surprised if I was wrong.

4 minutes ago, Kool Keith said:

I don't think you have any idea what my point was which isn't surprising going by your posting history on P&B .

Give us your point then.

Edited by ayrmad

Judges should score more 10-10 rounds imo. Not less or none.

This discouragement of even rounds only forces the picking of a winner where there may not be one and can easily skew the result of a fight.

Competent judges should be able to accurately score an even round just aswell as they can a legitimate 10-9.

You could win 5 rounds out the park and then all be 10-9 but have 7 rounds as tight as some of the last few at the weekend but you lose the fight because the judge favours the other persons work or in comparison to how they got beat in the previous round it looks as if they're doing ok.
Judges should use more 10-8 and 10-7s if someone totally dominates even if there is no Knockdown.

You can score a flash knockdown in a round you've been getting knocked about and 99/100 the judge will award you a 10-8

3 minutes ago, Kool Keith said:

I've already made it.

There's always a difference no matter how subtle. 

Tell me how subtly you scored each round.

Edited by ayrmad

I'm not explaining myself to an idiot and you're a nightmare on every thread you post on.

I can't see much I've posted on this fight that's a nightmare, I can only assume you're looking for the exit door.

Everybody looks for the exit door when you show up on a thread.

You're the one that lowered the tone of the post fight analysis in here not me, if you don't like people questioning you on it don't post.

What does everyone think about a rematch? As much as a still think Kov won that with a couple to spare even on 2nd viewing I think that was also his best chance to beat Ward. I think he's got Krusher figured out and would win more handily next time out.

19 minutes ago, GiGi said:

What does everyone think about a rematch? As much as a still think Kov won that with a couple to spare even on 2nd viewing I think that was also his best chance to beat Ward. I think he's got Krusher figured out and would win more handily next time out.

I'd be interested to see if Ward can do better early doors the next time to see if it was down to being ring rusty or whether Kovalev is just hard to keep away early doors.

I was quite impressed with Kovalev after the early rounds, I've watched so many fights where once the tide turns against the less able they just fade and fade until you've nearly forgotten how well they done in the early rounds. 

Edited by ayrmad

Some press scores.

Bryan Armen Graham (The Guardian) - 115-112 to Kovalev

Chris Mannix (Yahoo! Sports) - 115-112 Kovalev

Kevin Iole (Yahoo! Sports) - 114-113 Ward

Lance Pugmire (LA Times) - 115-112 Kovalev

Dylan Hernandez (LA Times) - 114-113 Ward

Dan Rafael (ESPN) - 115-112 Kovalev

Stephen A. Smith (ESPN) - "...Kovalev winning by two rounds..."

Marcellus Wiley (ESPN) - Draw

Arash Markazi (ESPN) - Kovalev won

Dougie Fischer (Ring Magazine) - 117-110 Kovalev

Michael Rosenthal (Ring Magazine) - 114-113 Ward

Ryan Songalia (Ring Magazine) - 115-112 Kovalev

Al Bernstein (Showtime Sports) - Had Kovalev winning

Bob Velin (USA Today Sports) - 114-113 Kovalev

Tom Craze (Bad Left Hook) - 114-113 Ward

Scott Christ (Bad Left Hook) - 115-112 Kovalev

George Willis (NY Post) - 114-113 Ward

Mike Sloan (Sherdog) - 115-112 Kovalev

Steve Kim (Max Boxing) - 115-112 Kovalev

BoxingScene - 114-113 Ward

Lyle Fitzsimmons (CBS Sports) - 114-113 Ward

Forbes - 114-113 Kovalev

The Associated Press - 116-111 Kovalev

Kevin McRae (Bleacher Report) - 116-111 for Kovalev

Fraser Coffeen (Bloody Elbow) - 115-112 Kovalev

Dieter Kurtenbach (Fox Sports) - 116-111 for Kovalev

Gareth A. Davies (The Telegraph) - 115-112 Kovalev

Jesse Granger (Las Vegas Sun) - 115-112 Kovalev

Jack Jorgensen (FanSided) - Kovalev won

Johnny Nelson (Sky Sports) - Draw

Harold Lederman (HBO Sports) - 116-111 Kovalev

Phil D. Jay (WBN - World Boxing News) - 114-113 Ward

Andreas Hale (Champions Fight) - Draw

Boxing Monthly Magazine - 114-113 Kovalev

Bill Simmons (The Ringer) - Kovalev won

Edited by Kool Keith

5 minutes ago, banana said:

All viable scorecards bar the 117-110 Kovalev imo.

I couldn't find the actual card to see how viable or not his scorecard was, he's only given Ward 3 rounds unless he's awarded points for dominance in rounds, I certainly didn't see it that way, I've also been looking for Ledermans(an ex boxing judge) card as I'm pretty sure he gave Kovalev a round in the middle that you really can't give if you're following the rules and guidance.

I had kovalev by 2, but Christ it was close. Some of the rounds I gave to ward could have gone to Kov and visa Versa. Only gave ward the 5th in the first half of the fight.

Thought ward started to control the later rounds but was surprised at how well kovalev seemed to nullify his work up close - especially early on.

Would love a rematch as it was great to watch. Will probably watch again later in the week.