Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

Had the same with Kovalev winning 3rd and 12th, think you have to be giving Ward every benefit of the doubt to have hin winning 7 rounds

I have the exact same card as Glen Trowbridge apart from round 10 that I gave to Kovalev and - which was one of the tightest rounds in the fight. And we differed on round 12 which I have a draw- he gave Ward. So easy to see how a 2 round Kovalev win can easily become a 1 round loss.

2 minutes ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

3rd was very tight could have went either way I just thought Ward edged the exchanges on balance. And 12th I couldn't split.

Aye neither were clear at all, don't know if it affects people's thinking to see Ward doing better after such a disastrous start. 3rd round he did really well to stop the onslaught but I still thought Kovalev won the round

I think it was the sort of fight that proves the scoring system isn't entirely foolproof.

You could confidently give 3 or 4 rounds in a row  to a fighter but if you didn't score them individually that group of rounds was actually quite close.

Just rewatched it and had it 115-113 Kovalev.
1-Kovalev
2-Kovalev 10-8
3- Ward
4- Kovalev
5- Kovalev
6- Kovalev
7-Ward
8-Ward
9- Ward
10- Kovalev
11-Ward
12- split.

The only rounds I thought there was a clear winner was 1,2,4 and 8. The rest you could make a case for either man.

On my second viewing I have Kovalev round 5 where before I gave it to Ward and I gave a winner in 10 and 11 that I'd given even splits before.

This is pretty close to what I had it on first viewing. I think the sky commentary maybe affected folk's viewing.

It's hard to not let it affect you even subconsciously.

3 hours ago, Kool Keith said:

Watched it after a few beers and never scored it but thought Kovalev did enough in the first half to win it. Will watch it again tomorrow and keep a scorecard which won't include any 10-10 rounds which is an absolute cop out.

Scoring a round you can't conceivably give either way, as 10-10, is not a cop out. Awarding a fighter a round, when he hasn't clearly hasn't done enough to justify it is.

Please don't come back with a split decision!

Edited by kiddy

If you're scoring rounds 10-10 then you can't make a reasonable comparison between your scorecards and the judges because the judges don't have that luxury. In a ten point scoring system you have to pick a winner of the round. The only way you will ever get an even round is, and this is extremely rare, a fighter scores a knockdown but is utterly outboxed for the rest of the round. On that basis I've seen a 9-9 scored. The judges are there to judge. That's why it gets controversial at times. If any of you have been splitting rounds then you have been using a different scoring system. It's like deciding a football match on corners won when everybody else is using goals. I had the exact same score as the judges. I thought that it was all on the last and I gave it to Ward. I thought from round 6 onwards Kovalev was very ineffective and Ward was producing the more eye catching work. If I was using split scoring then Kovalev would have been way ahead because the rounds were very close and I could have been lazy but as I had to make a decision Wards movement and pot shotting saw me edge, marginally, towards him.

24 minutes ago, Falside Jag said:

If you're scoring rounds 10-10 then you can't make a reasonable comparison between your scorecards and the judges because the judges don't have that luxury. In a ten point scoring system you have to pick a winner of the round. The only way you will ever get an even round is, and this is extremely rare, a fighter scores a knockdown but is utterly outboxed for the rest of the round. On that basis I've seen a 9-9 scored. The judges are there to judge. That's why it gets controversial at times. If any of you have been splitting rounds then you have been using a different scoring system. It's like deciding a football match on corners won when everybody else is using goals. I had the exact same score as the judges. I thought that it was all on the last and I gave it to Ward. I thought from round 6 onwards Kovalev was very ineffective and Ward was producing the more eye catching work. If I was using split scoring then Kovalev would have been way ahead because the rounds were very close and I could have been lazy but as I had to make a decision Wards movement and pot shotting saw me edge, marginally, towards him.

When did judges not have the luxury of dishing out 10-10 rounds?

If they are just blindly dishing out rounds when there's no discernible difference then it's little wonder that boxing's reputation for dodgy results is increasing markedly, It's not a common occurrence for me to call rounds 10-10 but I'm not skewing a scorecard just to suit some bawbags that are more interested in looking after the interests of those outside the ring making cash.

If you had 6 really close rounds between Manny and a major hate figure then Manny is always going to draw the fight even if he got rag-dolled in the other 6.

Edited by ayrmad

Who told you judges cant score a round 10 -10 ?