Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

17 hours ago, J_Stewart said:

The other thing worth considering is the rumour that if Fury wins he becomes mandatory for the WBO, which would make Fury the mandatory for both Joshua and Wilder. Good position to be in.

I thought Usyk was the WBO mandatory for AJ?

Don't really see Gorman going beyond British level. He doesn't have that concussive punch power, he can box a bit but as soon as he comes up against higher level of opposition he will be in bother. Dubois will get him out of there relatively easily.

On 22/03/2019 at 21:06, J_Stewart said:

The other thing worth considering is the rumour that if Fury wins he becomes mandatory for the WBO, which would make Fury the mandatory for both Joshua and Wilder. Good position to be in.

It’s a shame that the HW division looked so close to at the very least the top 3 fighting off against each other after Fury Wilder, and now we seem as far away as ever. I don’t blame AJ at this juncture as it seems to be both Fury and Wilder who have went off to fight other guys down the ranks, wether that’s to do with TV deals or not.  I just don’t believe Joshua is afraid to fight either of them although I believe (and hope) Fury could outbox him. 

Just caught up with the match room card. The scoring on the Ritson fight was a shambles. One judge scoring the fight 99-91 is up there with Adelaide Byrd. You can’t get into a position to judge a fight of that standing and score the fight like that it just wasn’t there. Foreign fighters must be seeing that and saying there is no way they are coming to the UK to fight in any meaningful fight on a matchroom card it’s a sham and has been for a while. Burns Beltran fight being one of the worst. 

I saw Fury's trainer saying they thought Schwarz was ranked 11 on boxrec and it was only once it was all signed and sealed that they say he realised he was actually ranked 42. 

Boxes a bit like a shorter, fatter, slower Wilder. Got a decent right hand though.  Hopefully get a couple of these fights under his belt then maybe we get to see some of the top ranked guys take each other on in 2020. 

No announcements on WBSS but Barancyk started a training camp yesterday with in LA with Freddie Roach as his new trainer. To fight Taylor? Someone else? 

"a few days" has passed AGAIN for the ticket details. Fucking shambles this like.

Hoping for Kovalev/Yarde to get made in London would like to go down to that as this Taylor fight is looking less likely by the day.

I was about to say that the number of Saltires on Kalle’s tweet at the end of last week about and exciting announcement for Scottish fight fans and tickets was concerning.

The other light welter belt holders, Ramirez and Hooker IIRC have been talking about fighting Barancyk too. Maybe Barancyk’s manager thought it was stupid to fight Taylor as it’s really a voluntary defence of his belt against the hardest guy in the division? 

Also.. with Burns being a matchroom fighter there could be scope for it being on Sky. Adam Smith and Eddie Hearn have both said they’d like to see Taylor on Sky and this could at least be a way to give him a bigger platform.

Edited by Shandon Par

Obviously Burns is over the hill, but a passing of the guard fight that bad? 

Nope. I’m 100% onboard with it if Baranchyk does shite it. Regardless of Ricky’s deterioration, it would still arguably be a step up for Taylor and a great learning fight as he’s never fought anyone of Burns experience. Throw in that it’d be another big payday for Scotland’s most successful ever boxer (who absolutely deserves it), and I have zero problems with that as a replacement if the title fight can’t be made.

Looking forward to Smith - Eggington and Fowler - Fitzgerald tonight too.

No issues with Taylor fighting Burns whatsoever specially as a short notice step in. It has something for the fans, it has something for Taylor and assuming the Torch gets passed, its a nice way for Ricky to call it a day if he chooses.

8 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

No issues with Taylor fighting Burns whatsoever specially as a short notice step in. It has something for the fans, it has something for Taylor and assuming the Torch gets passed, its a nice way for Ricky to call it a day if he chooses.

I'm not sure being knocked out would be Burn's choice of "passing the torch" in all honesty.