Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

None of us really know how good Joshua is just now, it's all conjecture since he's not fought any top guys yet.

The same people who put GGG at the top of P4P lists based on skillz~~~!!! are the same people choosing to attack Joshua's resume rather than looking at his ability. I can't rank him as s top five heavyweight yet but that's not to say he wouldn't beat guys ranked above him.

Tbf to Chisora. He would've beaten Martin for the title too, as would at least 20 others.

As for Fury's boxing skill being overrated? :lol: He just beat one of the P4P top rated fighters who has been a champion for around 10 years. He barely gets any credit for that from most so how can he possibly be overrated? The Joshua casuals will get a big shock when Joshua fights someone who can hit back, let alone someone with the skills of Tyson Fury.

Eta- if anything I would say Fury is among the top 5 underrated boxers in the world

Fury is vastly overrated because of one fight where Wlad was atrocious anyway. It wasn't a boxing masterclass he was just 'less bad'.

If Wlad can land his left hand then he will connect with the right eventually and win the rematch.

Fury can move fair enough but he's sloppy defensively, his hands are low, begging for a right hand and he's hardly a concussive puncher either. He's not great shakes and has been decked by a cruiserweight and a unknown Croatian (with the best nick name in boxing 😎)

I think its to soon for joshua to be in with an ortiz or haye...he is still learning on the job...but he is improving all the time.Also to soon to be in with fury or wilder imo.Haye is fighting bums just now , better fight when hes fighting briggs at least he will throw punches.....his last two fight zzzzz. If he comes through that I can see fighters not so keen to face him. Joshua has a habit of dropping his right before he throws it and leaving his chin exposed....with haye ring craft at this moment he would exploit that weakness.I like joshua and he is exciting to watch.....but its a whole different game when some one is taking your bombs and walking through them and then throwing them back.

If you try to call yourself "world champion" then it's not too early to fight anyone. You've got to fight who ever is out there.

Joshua got stopped in the Amateurs as well. You can see it on YouTube some Russian boy. No disgrace being stopped in heavyweight boxing but there were signs that he stiffens up when hit. However, so far against limited opponents his substantial bulk and power has prevented them from being able to get in close enough to land on his chin and test it.

If he fought a prime Haye of 5-6 years ago then he'd be in bother but Haye is a celebrity WWE type figure now. Povetkin, Ortiz would get inside with footwork and cause him bother or else Wilder could possibly stand and trade and be a last man handing gun fight.

The same people who put GGG at the top of P4P lists based on skillz~~~!!! are the same people choosing to attack Joshua's resume rather than looking at his ability.

Much like when you mention this in connection with Kell Brook, the context is the important bit that you miss out. Aside from the fact that Golovkin has smashed up top level fighters like Martin Murray, Daniel Geale and David Lemieux (all miles ahead in terms of quality than anyone Joshua has fought), Golovkin has also been avoided like the fucking plague by the elite level fighters in his division (and even Carl Froch who was a division above wanted nothing to do with him) because they're - rightly - shit scared of him. Not one of the top welterweights or heavyweights are avoiding Brook (someone earlier said that Khan bottled it in respect to not fighting Brook...by, eh, fighting the far better, bigger punching and stronger Canelo...makes sense) or Joshua. That's not entirely their faults, I'm sure both want to prove themselves against the best, but their promoter is choosing to milk them against shite because it's the easiest way for him and them to make money. Sound business plan, but not so good for competition or being able to accurately rank just how good either really are.

The nonsense about Wlad having an off night against Fury has to stop as well cause it's utter shite. Fury boxed brilliantly by staying out of range, raiding with his jab and the odd combination, and then getting back out of range so Wlad couldn't land. Wlad looked bad because Fury made him look bad. If any other heavyweight had done the same they'd be praised to the hilt for providing a masterclass, but because of who Fury is, how he acts, the lack of exposure from sky, and how much of a favourite Wlad was pre-fight, he doesn't get anywhere near the credit he deserves. Will be interesting to see if that changes if he beats Wlad again.

There is no comparison to made between Joshua and Golovkin because the latter has not only only disposed of more than a few top 10 opponents but has made these guys look like different fighters in their subsequent fights.

Whether people like it or not, Fury is the guy who beat the guy and therefore number 1 in the division currently.

A bit of an upset in China today. IBF Flyweight champion Amnat Ruenroeng (who beat Zou Shiming) was KO'd in the 4th by John Riel Casemiro in their rematch. The KO is on twitter

Puting us all to shame Tarmo commenting on a midweek Chinese card.

Eddie Hearn on the glue again today talking about Haye picking poor opponents.  Has he watching any of his cards recently what a tosser of a man.  

Apparently the haye fight appeals to casuals not hardcore.  I'm pretty sure its the other way around

I agree but casuals don't need to buy a ticket.  If any of them went there expecting any less then more fool to them.  But same can be said for half of these pishy sky fights

Haye aint daft he'll keep knocking out idiots until he's in line for a shot of a title.

I agree but casuals don't need to buy a ticket.  If any of them went there expecting any less then more fool to them.  But same can be said for half of these pishy sky fights

Haye aint daft he'll keep knocking out idiots until he's in line for a shot of a title.

That's the bottom line.  There's so many people in the UK happy to fork out for events like Saturday night so they can get lairy with their mates on the lash and esape the WAGs for a day that these shitty shows are becoming very common.

That's the bottom line. There's so many people in the UK happy to fork out for events like Saturday night so they can get lairy with their mates on the lash and esape the WAGs for a day that these shitty shows are becoming very common.

I can't get my head around anyone that pays to attend St. Andrews club events or any other show that's held in Scotland these days where the home fighters face rank rotten, often foreign journeymen and nobody ever progresses. There are loads of folk who fought and trained beside me in the amateurs who are pro and who is like to go and see but no chance am I paying £50 to watch a series of mismatches.

Was considering going to the burns fight on sat an hour ago but then remembered I'm doing Edinburgh half marathon on Sunday and will need to be up and away early.

I can't get my head around anyone that pays to attend St. Andrews club events or any other show that's held in Scotland these days where the home fighters face rank rotten, often foreign journeymen and nobody ever progresses. There are loads of folk who fought and trained beside me in the amateurs who are pro and who is like to go and see but no chance am I paying £50 to watch a series of mismatches.

Was considering going to the burns fight on sat an hour ago but then remembered I'm doing Edinburgh half marathon on Sunday and will need to be up and away early.

Apart from games that Hibs are taking part in boxing's the only sport I watch now and I still have no inclination at all to go to a UK event.