Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

I have never really liked AJ, think he is a tadger and fake as anything with all the be humble patter.

The way he went on after the fight, also threatening to shatter a students jaw after being heckled by him, shows the mask slipping big time and this is the side they don't want to show.

The personal highlight of his speech for me was the fact he was trying to compare doing 2 weeks on remand in Watford for selling drugs to being on the front line in Ukraine.

AJ is clearly not as talented as Usyk or Fury, he's clearly limited in his skillset.  He can fight in one way, he doesn't have the natural ability to change mid-fight.  You can see this in his losses - once Ruiz hurt him he couldn't adjust and was on a road to defeat.  In the rematch he had a better gameplan and used his natural advantages to clearly win.  In both Usyk defeats he couldn't change once his initial tactics didn't work, although he was clearly better in the weekends fight.

I'd say that the two best boxers in the heavyweights are clearly Fury and Usyk.  Not sure where I could put Wilder, he could bounce back from losing the trilogy to Fury or it could end him, will be interesting to see where he goes in his comeback.  Under those three I think Joshua is clearly the strongest heavyweight in the world.  He isn't going to be retiring, he's just signed a big deal with DAZN.  The obvious road would be a fight with Whyte, possibly after a tune-up comeback.

I've actually met AJ at a corporate event, he seemed polite and respectful then although clearly that was part of his work.  I also know people who know his family in London and speak highly of him.  His behaviour after the fight was pretty shocking though. 

Edited by ICTChris

George Foreman to be grilled about historical sexual abuse allegations.

George Foreman: Two women file lawsuits after accusing boxing champion of sexual abuse in 1970s - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/62684153

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Donathan said:

Fury officially calls out Joshua to fight later this year and Usyk in 2023. 

I take two things from this.   He's either wanting a big fight before he steps in with Usyk or he's avoiding Usyk altogether.  Either way I think he has ulterior motives.

17 minutes ago, LargsTON said:

I take two things from this.   He's either wanting a big fight before he steps in with Usyk or he's avoiding Usyk altogether.  Either way I think he has ulterior motives.

Usyk has said he won’t fight again in 2022 and I think Fury doesn’t want to come out of a year long hiatus to fight Usyk in the spring so I think the former is the case. 

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

Usyk has said he won’t fight again in 2022 and I think Fury doesn’t want to come out of a year long hiatus to fight Usyk in the spring so I think the former is the case. 

Very much doubt if Fury fights aj in December that he fights again anytime before July/August 23. Will be his usual shite, beat AJ then retire again blah blah blah 

6 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Andy Ruiz Jr was a an entertaining watch the other night. Dropped poor old Ortiz a few times. Such quick hands and packs so much power into short punches too. 

Didnae look to have dropped much weight, going by previous reports?

9 minutes ago, kiddy said:

Didnae look to have dropped much weight, going by previous reports?

He did look like he has trained though. Could see a sort of six pack under the flab. A bit more tanned and a few more tatts but not quite an AJ physique yet. 

3 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

He did look like he has trained though. Could see a sort of six pack under the flab. A bit more tanned and a few more tatts but not quite an AJ physique yet. 

Must have been in the rehydration, following the weight cut, then?

2022-09-07 (2).png

4 hours ago, Squalor Vic said:

Was looking forward to Shields v Marshall this weekend, disappointed it's been canned too

Likewise.  Its a nonsense.  A 1 or 2 minutes silence across all sporting events was more than sufficient.  

9 hours ago, Rob1885 said:

Eubank Jr vs Benn looking likely to be off. A ridiculous fight to make anyway. Egg on everyone's face.

Was just reading that there.   Hard to disagree with what Eubank Snr says tbh.   I've never been a fan of catchweight fights tbh and this fight is borne out of pure greed on behalf of the promoters with little regard given to the health of either man.

I fully expect them both to retire after Fury hands out a routine beating.
I also fully expect them both to be fighting again, not necessarily with each other, no later than next summer. 
Yeah.... I'm just listening to Spencer Oliver telling us despite the last 2 rinsings AJ has had from a much smaller superior boxer, that "styles make fights" and so this is actually a really good fight.

A fine example of a lazy soundbite, since anyone applying the "styles make fights" logic accurately in this instance, would be doing so to explain why this is a completely one sided, over when Fury decides its over, thrashing.