Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

Of course Fury will fight, for all he talks shite there is no way he'll turn down the money that'll be on offer  to face Usyk .  I also think Fury will be too much, as he's a much better boxer than Joshua and considerably bigger than Usyk.  As much as I'd love to see Usyk win, I just don't think he can. 

A lot of folk saying AJs taken too many blows to the head and been overcome with emotion. The latter may be true but I think he’s been sound enough of mind and knew exactly what he was saying. I think the reality is he knows that defeat has fucked it and he’s now got a mountain to climb and it’s gonna take quite some time before he’s going to be considered as any sort of contender.

However, many a heavyweight have peaked in their mid-late 30s and at 32, time is possibly on AJs side. 

IMO best thing AJ can do now is get out of Hearn’s camp and the limelight. No tv shows, no tv ads, no public appearances, nothing like that. For me he should disappear for a year or two taking several months off before spending a year or so training with a variety of trainers learning as many possible styles and skills as possible to give him a fighting chance (no pun intended) of making a successful comeback in a couple of years.

14 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

A lot of folk saying AJs taken too many blows to the head and been overcome with emotion. The latter may be true but I think he’s been sound enough of mind and knew exactly what he was saying. I think the reality is he knows that defeat has fucked it and he’s now got a mountain to climb and it’s gonna take quite some time before he’s going to be considered as any sort of contender.

However, many a heavyweight have peaked in their mid-late 30s and at 32, time is possibly on AJs side. 

IMO best thing AJ can do now is get out of Hearn’s camp and the limelight. No tv shows, no tv ads, no public appearances, nothing like that. For me he should disappear for a year or two taking several months off before spending a year or so training with a variety of trainers learning as many possible styles and skills as possible to give him a fighting chance (no pun intended) of making a successful comeback in a couple of years.

Its now 10 year since he turned pro. He has had top level training in the best facilities possible since turning pro if he could make those improvements he would have by now. For me the simple fact is he is just levels below guys like Fury and Usyk and taking two years off won't change that imo. He looks great knocking out journeymen level fighters but he simply isn't good enough when it comes to elite level. This not a criticism as he maximised what he has and made a fortune doing it. 

31 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

If you genuinely believe that then I’m sorry to say but, you don’t know shit about boxing. 

Fury would be a different beast to AJ, and any other heavyweight Usyk has fought so far. Go back and rewatch last nights fight and count how many times Joshua switched the angle after a 1-2, or used feints to entice Usyk into throwing a punch, or used his footwork to get out of range and stop Usyk from countering. I’ve only watched the fight once but I would be quite confident in saying that you could count how many times AJ done any of that on one hand. If you keep your on eye Usyk though, he’s slipping punches, dipping under hooks, moving his head off line, landing 1-2s and moving out of range or switching the angle up for another attack.

AJ is very limited when it comes to these basic boxing skills, and Usyk is operating on a level much higher than him, and it showed last night. Tyson Fury is a genuine heavyweight who can operate at a level similar to Usyk, if not better. He has an extremely awkward style where he is constantly feinting, constantly moving, constantly finding gaps to put 3, 4, 5 punches together. He’s hard to hit, and we’ve seen from the Wilder fights that even when he does go down heavy he can get back up, and Usyk doesn’t punch harder than Wilder. If Fury fights Usyk any time in the next 6 months I would have good money on Fury winning a decision by a very, very wide margin. 

Spot on with everything. AJ has always been there to be hit, barely any head movement, always on line. 

Fury and Usyk miles ahead of the rest of the HWs but there could hopefully be a few interesting matchups in that second tier which AJ finds himself in now. Whyte, Wilder, Joyce, Joshua, even Ruiz would be good to see them all get round to fighting each other. Think Gassiev moving up as well, will probably see a few cruisers join him. Okolie has always spoke about it. There's interesting fights that could be made

21 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

That’s all well and good on Planet LaLaLand, but you don’t just start touring boxing gyms at 32 years old and all of sudden become a different fighter. Joshua said in the build up to this fight that he knew he couldn’t try to outbox Usyk, as he attempted in the first fight, and that he would be coming in with a different game plan. There’s no doubt AJ boxed better last night, but even with the change of trainer I didn’t see anything radically different that made me think he could beat Usyk or Fury. 

Even Chisora had a bit more success against Usyk by attempting to rough him up, lean on him, smother his work and push him around the ring. Joshua was still throwing lazy jabs, plodding forward in straight lines, standing in range etc. If he tried similar against Fury he would get the head boxed off him for 12 rounds straight. He just doesn’t possess the techniques required to beat guys on the level of Usyk and Fury, guys who have had a long and successful amateur career and been working on these sort of things since they were young boys. Joshua didn’t start boxing until his late teens I believe, and has needed to rely on his power to get to where he is today. That’s no sleight on him, he’s done well, and it’s worked when up against the Charles Martins and Carlos Takams of this world. It’s not worked twice now against someone moving up from cruiserweight, who has exceptional boxing skills, and it won’t work against Fury either if that fight is ever to happen. 

AJ is an absolute weapon. Saying he didn't know what was happening in Ukraine FFS. And that hip-hip-hooray like Usyk was a wean about to blow his candles out was one of the cringiest things I've seen in sport. 

Fury is a very hard night for Usyk though. As he is for any heavyweight.

At AJs stage in the game, he's going to be looking to Eddie to set up the Whyte beef and sell the shit out of it to 50k coke heads.

Fury will definitely fight Usyk. It would be insane not to. Its massive money, massive legacy and a fight he IMO will win pretty handily.

AJ better stay away from that Bomzzzquad smoke too.

8 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Fury will definitely fight Usyk. It would be insane not to. Its massive money, massive legacy and a fight he IMO will win pretty handily.

AJ better stay away from that Bomzzzquad smoke too.

Fury will be stupid to take that fight - just as Joshua was. Fury will prefer to retire unbeaten and sail off into the sunset protecting that while claiming to still want to fight just as he done with AJ.

AJ would be fucking stupid to take on Wilder - because he'll get sparked. Who knows though, at least he had the bottle to take on Usyk (as daft as it was).

6 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Fury will be stupid to take that fight - just as Joshua was. Fury will prefer to retire unbeaten and sail off into the sunset protecting that while claiming to still want to fight just as he done with AJ.

AJ would be fucking stupid to take on Wilder - because he'll get sparked. Who knows though, at least he had the bottle to take on Usyk (as daft as it was).

I cant agree on the basis that I think Fury beats Usyk handily. I cant really make a case for how I think Usyk wins because the size gap will become too big, and the clear advantage in skills he had over AJ wont exist. 

I also don't think AJ was stupid to fight Usyk. To take the rematch straight away, aye. Utterly stupid, but not the first time. Very few were tipping Usyk to win because the majority felt size would get it done  

That’s all well and good on Planet LaLaLand, but you don’t just start touring boxing gyms at 32 years old and all of sudden become a different fighter. Joshua said in the build up to this fight that he knew he couldn’t try to outbox Usyk, as he attempted in the first fight, and that he would be coming in with a different game plan. There’s no doubt AJ boxed better last night, but even with the change of trainer I didn’t see anything radically different that made me think he could beat Usyk or Fury. 

Even Chisora had a bit more success against Usyk by attempting to rough him up, lean on him, smother his work and push him around the ring. Joshua was still throwing lazy jabs, plodding forward in straight lines, standing in range etc. If he tried similar against Fury he would get the head boxed off him for 12 rounds straight. He just doesn’t possess the techniques required to beat guys on the level of Usyk and Fury, guys who have had a long and successful amateur career and been working on these sort of things since they were young boys. Joshua didn’t start boxing until his late teens I believe, and has needed to rely on his power to get to where he is today. That’s no sleight on him, he’s done well, and it’s worked when up against the Charles Martins and Carlos Takams of this world. It’s not worked twice now against someone moving up from cruiserweight, who has exceptional boxing skills, and it won’t work against Fury either if that fight is ever to happen. 

It's genuinely like Joshua did not learn from the first fight.

14 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

It's genuinely like Joshua did not learn from the first fight.

I didn’t want to go as far as saying that as I only watched the fight live in a crowded room, but I didn’t see anything from Joshua last night that you could point to and say ‘aye that was something different’. 

Its now 10 year since he turned pro. He has had top level training in the best facilities possible since turning pro if he could make those improvements he would have by now. For me the simple fact is he is just levels below guys like Fury and Usyk and taking two years off won't change that imo. He looks great knocking out journeymen level fighters but he simply isn't good enough when it comes to elite level. This not a criticism as he maximised what he has and made a fortune doing it. 
"Journeyman level fighters" *checks Wilder & Fury's boxrec records.[emoji23][emoji1787][emoji23]

16 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

I didn’t want to go as far as saying that as I only watched the fight live in a crowded room, but I didn’t see anything from Joshua last night that you could point to and say ‘aye that was something different’. 

What he needed to learn can't be learned in 1 camp. In fact, what AJ lacks to beat Usyk maybe can't be learned in 1 lifetime. But he was clearly better than fight 1. He looked to impose himself more, mixed up the head and body more. None of it was enough obviously. 

14 minutes ago, kiddy said:

"Journeyman level fighters" *checks Wilder & Fury's boxrec records.emoji23.pngemoji1787.pngemoji23.png

You know exactly what I mean he looks good knocking out the Charles Martins of this world but as soon he is in there with someone with boxing ability he struggles big time eg Andy Ruiz and Usyk. AJ doesn't habe the boxing skills or Iq to beat an elite level fighter like Usyk or Fury. 

Joshua is a fantastic physical specimen with limited skills and no imagination for how to change things if they aren't going well. He gets found out by the smarter boxers who change angles and actually use good footwork/body movement/head movement.

I'm not sure where he goes now. Probably Chisora. Wilder just absolutely sparks him as he's so easy to hit.

10 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Whilst him and his team were marching for the exit it looked like someone either from the crowd or walking behind him had said something that upset him, and he stopped abruptly to turn and confront whoever/whatever it was. A few moments later while the sound was still down Joshua had a hold of two belts, 

I'm pretty sure Joshua grabbed the belts and flung them out of the ring before he stormed out , then came back in the ring.

6 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

The guy looks unhinged here. I do feel for him in that his efforts have ultimately proved fruitless, and that must be hard to take, but that outburst isn’t due concussion or anything like it. 

It's the purest form of petulance you can imagine. Absolute manchild.