Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

Just now, IrishBhoy said:

Eurosport, but the programme has finished now. Probellum had two shows on this weekend, one last night and one tonight. Live from a Dubai tennis stadium that had about 90 punters in attendance. 

Aye I watched the Edwards fight then the programme finished.  I take it Prograis was on earlier?  I know he's been relatively inactive since the loss to Taylor but I think he deserves a far better platform tbh.

2 minutes ago, LargsTON said:

Aye I watched the Edwards fight then the programme finished.  I take it Prograis was on earlier?  I know he's been relatively inactive since the loss to Taylor but I think he deserves a far better platform tbh.

Yep he was on about 5/6pm I think. He definitely deserves a better platform, but it seems like he doesn’t have much of a name in America to attract a Top Rank or Golden Boy etc. Even the WBSS final against Taylor was in London, if he had a higher profile that would have been in Vegas or NY.

Im unsure what the script is with Probellum. Seen some comments online saying it’s a money laundering excercise from MTK/Kinahan, but I would find that hard to believe. There’s easier ways to do that other than launching a boxing promotion, but that sort of stuff is above my head. Richard Schaefer seems to be the top man and Sam Jones is involved as well. They’ve just signed Catterall who is managed by MTK, and the vast majority of their other fighters are MTK as well, so it seems like a promotional offshoot for the MTK management business. 

5 minutes ago, Comrie said:

This Thor/Eddie fight is appalling quality. Just two big lumps with virtually no skill.

I must admit I’ve been pretty impressed with their general boxing skills, I was expecting much worse after seeing one of Thors previous fights. They are both trying to lead with the jab and put punches together, pretty good footwork from them as well. Obviously a very amateur style, but I was expecting much, much worse. The referee hasn’t been involved too much either which is usually a good sign. 

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

what channel is it on?

It was on ‘segi.tv’ website, whatever that is. Just finished though, Thor knocked Hall down in the last round and has won quite handily. They touched gloves at the end but it looked like they wanted to keep fighting :lol: Enjoyed that more than I thought I was going to. 

1 hour ago, Merkland Red said:

Still think it was better quality than that Scottish Heavyweight title fight a few weeks back.

Exactly my thoughts watching it.  Thor actually looked like a boxer by way of technique and footwork.   Hall looked anything but that with his bizarre side on stance yet still impressed me more than that fat clown with the green hair a couple of weeks back.

1 hour ago, LargsTON said:

Exactly my thoughts watching it.  Thor actually looked like a boxer by way of technique and footwork.   Hall looked anything but that with his bizarre side on stance yet still impressed me more than that fat clown with the green hair a couple of weeks back.

That guy with the green hair, Jay McFarlane, has been sparring guys in my gym on and off for the last couple of years. He’s quite clearly not of any elite standard, as everyone seen a few weeks ago, but outside the ring he’s actually a very, very nice guy. He is the best example I’ve found of never judging a person’s character by how they look. 

I was speaking to him a couple of weeks before the fight, and even though he obviously wanted to win, he was basically saying that just being involved in the event, fighting at a sold out Hydro and being live on TV across the world, was enough for him to count it as the highlight of his career no matter what happened. 99.999% of people who pull on a pair of boxing gloves will only ever dream of fighting on a stage like that, and everyone’s definition of success is different. 

I’ve rambled on a bit here but I thought I should let people know that his journey to that fight a few weeks ago wasn’t an easy one, and he doesn’t really deserve to be called a ‘fat clown’ because he didn’t put in a good performance, especially from guys posting from the comfort of their own living rooms who wouldn’t last 10 minutes living the life he did during his training camp. 

1 hour ago, IrishBhoy said:

That guy with the green hair, Jay McFarlane, has been sparring guys in my gym on and off for the last couple of years. He’s quite clearly not of any elite standard, as everyone seen a few weeks ago, but outside the ring he’s actually a very, very nice guy. He is the best example I’ve found of never judging a person’s character by how they look. 

I was speaking to him a couple of weeks before the fight, and even though he obviously wanted to win, he was basically saying that just being involved in the event, fighting at a sold out Hydro and being live on TV across the world, was enough for him to count it as the highlight of his career no matter what happened. 99.999% of people who pull on a pair of boxing gloves will only ever dream of fighting on a stage like that, and everyone’s definition of success is different. 

I’ve rambled on a bit here but I thought I should let people know that his journey to that fight a few weeks ago wasn’t an easy one, and he doesn’t really deserve to be called a ‘fat clown’ because he didn’t put in a good performance, especially from guys posting from the comfort of their own living rooms who wouldn’t last 10 minutes living the life he did during his training camp. 

I sort of agree with the sentiment of your post, equally though, he was in with a chance of winning that fight if he had concentrated for any length of time on some really basic, day one in any gym type fundamentals, chief among which being protect yourself at all times. If you talk shit at your opponent whilst defending with your chin and throwing single shots from the hip, and don't turn up in shape, you are obviously risking scorn from the fans. 

Even the commentators and likes of Johnny Nelson were finding it hard to show them any respect. Aye you get a certian amount purely for being willing to step through the ropes, but its the professional fight game we are talking here. You are going to be judged by fans. 

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

I sort of agree with the sentiment of your post, equally though, he was in with a chance of winning that fight if he had concentrated for any length of time on some really basic, day one in any gym type fundamentals, chief among which being protect yourself at all times. If you talk shit at your opponent whilst defending with your chin and throwing single shots from the hip, and don't turn up in shape, you are obviously risking scorn from the fans. 

Even the commentators and likes of Johnny Nelson were finding it hard to show them any respect. Aye you get a certian amount purely for being willing to step through the ropes, but its the professional fight game we are talking here. You are going to be judged by fans. 

Can’t really argue with your first paragraph there, Jay has massive flaws in his game and there is probably amateurs out there of a better standard. I don’t think he was trying to kid anyone on that’s he’s anything other than a Scottish level boxer, who got the chance to fight on a stage that even most professionals don’t get near. 

I only posted in reply to the comment that he was a ‘fat clown’, which I thought was unfair. The people watching that fight seen 30 minutes of boxing, but the journey for him to get there over the last however many years deserved more respect than that. I’m not saying that you can’t criticise a fighter if you’ve never boxed before, everyone is entitled to their opinion. There was plenty to criticise in that fight with regards to both fighters level of skill, but for Jay the real win was just getting there. 

As much as Steve Bunce is mental, he had it bang on about that fight. Two Scottish level boys giving it their best. Fair play to them.

Sunny Edwards was magnificent last night. A superb performance where he dropped only a couple of rounds where he seemed to coast. He is a genuinely top tier talent IMO, even if he is a total bellend. Shame there was about 3 people there. 

Rewatched it sober and I was wrong about Thor, took a few rounds to get going but once he did he showed some decent skills for a massive dude, Hall was just a brawler, had little except for hoping a big power punch hit,