Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

Sky reporting that the British Boxing Board will be investigating the scoring in the Taylor fight.
They can't be asking how Caterall was up on ALL 3 cards after the 8th round, can they?[emoji2359]
[emoji848]Think they better look at why the English boxer couldn't stick Taylor away before the fights end![emoji362]

Will they be looking at EVERY fight judged & referee'd by Victor Loughlin, Ian John Lewis, Howard Foster & Marcus McDonnell?

THAT'S what they're saying.

Watched with Mrs and we both had Catterall winning the first round then Taylor winning the next two. All three scorecards say the same. Sky pundits had it 3-0 Caterall. Maybe Sky need to look at their pundits a bit and be a bit less one-dimensional in their assessments. Still think Caterall built up enough of a lead to hold on to as they reached the later rounds but Sky has added to the shrieking hysteria.

19 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Watched with Mrs and we both had Catterall winning the first round then Taylor winning the next two. All three scorecards say the same. Sky pundits had it 3-0 Caterall. Maybe Sky need to look at their pundits a bit and be a bit less one-dimensional in their assessments. Still think Caterall built up enough of a lead to hold on to as they reached the later rounds but Sky has added to the shrieking hysteria.

Said the same on a twitter thread yesterday.  Sky pundits, both Macklin and Smith, have added to the outcry with their commentary. 

They essentially had Catterall 6-0 and gave no credit to Taylor in any of the opening rounds.  Rnd 3 for example Taylor landed two great clean shots that were never mentioned at any point.  I had it 2-2 on the night through 4 and thought I was just totally missing what was going on. On initial viewing, I thought it was a complete robbery.

Watching back without Macklin telling me Taylor needed a stoppage after 8, you could make the argument for Taylor in 2,3,4,7,9,10,11,12 -  in my opinion.  Not at all saying I think he clearly wins all of those rounds, think 3, 7 and 10 were clear Taylor rounds, but a lot of them were close scrappy rounds where I think you could make the argument either way. 

If you want to score objectively, volume at zero is a must. Commentators always skew it.

ETA a lot of the time the outcry is caused at the end of the fight by people who have just watched the 12 rounds, the whole fight, and are taking into account the flavour of the fight as one big long story, the war if you will. But judges score the battles, and they should pay no regard whatsoever to what happened in the round before, or what might happen in the next. 

That said, I still personally think the wrong man got the win, but I have sort of came down from the pumped up hyperbole of Saturday night. 

Edited by Bairnardo

Robert Smith was on with Steve Bunce on the podcast last night basically saying what a lot here are suggesting. He said that his gut instinct at the time was Catterall nicked a close fight. Said he was fine with the cards of Foster and Laughlin as he thought it was a close fight and could understand a judge coming down narrowly in favour of either. Said John-Lewis would need to explain how he scored it so widely

Also said commentators sway publics opinion and he always watched fights with the sound off

I just rewatched the fight, turned the volume off and just watched from the perspective of scoring it. On Saturday I was convinced Catterall had won easily and only recalled taylor winning a few rounds. I also remember thinking that by the knockdown, taylor had only won 1 round at that point in the fight.

However, this time round I thought the fight was much closer and when I totalled my scores, I had it 113-112 in favour of taylor. 

I have to say I was pretty shocked. Even yesterday I was slating taylor for having watched it back and thinking he'd won the fight. I thought he was deluded but it just goes to show how much you get swept up in the fight at the time.

I just rewatched the fight, turned the volume off and just watched from the perspective of scoring it. On Saturday I was convinced Catterall had won easily and only recalled taylor winning a few rounds. I also remember thinking that by the knockdown, taylor had only won 1 round at that point in the fight.

However, this time round I thought the fight was much closer and when I totalled my scores, I had it 113-112 in favour of taylor. 
I have to say I was pretty shocked. Even yesterday I was slating taylor for having watched it back and thinking he'd won the fight. I thought he was deluded but it just goes to show how much you get swept up in the fight at the time.
I watched the fight on American comms and Andre Ward gave the fight to Taylor. I didn't see it that way I think Catterall won the fight and understand why the poor guy was absolutely devastated .

So looking at your scores you and taking into account point deductions you are scoring the fight 7-5. I struggle to see how Taylor won that many rounds. Out of interest which rounds did you give Taylor?

I gave Taylor 2, 3,4,7,9, 11 and 12.

I noted that rounds 1,2,3,4 were 'close' and rounds 4 and 11 were 'very close'.

When I started doing it I fully expected to just confirm how much Cattrall had been robbed so was surprised at how close it was.

I see my card is very similar to Victor Loughlin so I feel a bit dead inside.

I gave Taylor 2, 3,4,7,9, 11 and 12.
I noted that rounds 1,2,3,4 were 'close' and rounds 4 and 11 were 'very close'.
When I started doing it I fully expected to just confirm how much Cattrall had been robbed so was surprised at how close it was.
I see my card is very similar to Victor Loughlin so I feel a bit dead inside.

I am planning to watch the fight back but from what I seen on the first viewing I just really struggle to see how Taylor could be awarded that many rounds. I get there was a lot of spoiling by Catterall which I don't think the ref helped with but I genuinely believe he won that fight.

I know punches landed etc doesn't always tell the story of a fight in isolation but when I look at the break down of rounds and specific punches, as well as what I seen on the night I really struggle to see why Taylor can be awarded all these rounds particulalry 11 and 12. So in rounds 11 and 12 Taylor landed a total of 3 punches in each round compared with 8 and 9 for Catterall so almost 3 to 1. When you specially break that down to power punches Taylor is 3 and 2 compared with Catteralls 5 and 7 so over double. So I really can't see why Taylor is awarded these rounds.

Looking at the stats for the entire fight Catterall outlanded Taylor in 11 out of 12 rounds and in terms of power punches he out landed Taylor in 9 out of 12 rounds. Jab wise it's like 9 to 12.

I get that people say that Taylor was the aggressor and the one coming forward and Catterall was spoiling but that aggression from Taylor has to be meaningful. He was like a drunk man in a pub fight coming forward with no plan at times for me. The punch stats show he was out worked and out landed throughout the fight.

Taylor's tactics for such an elite level fighter were fucking awful. He just thought he could walk through Catterall and break him down with his power and that didn't happen. For the bigger man with the bigger reach his Jab stats are truly awful. Surely he should have got behind the Jab and built from there but he just seemed intent in trying to blow Catterall away which didbt ever look like happening.

Maybe just an off night for Taylor and struggling at the weight but if he steps up to a bud Crawford or Earl Spence and performs like that they would destroy him.

1 hour ago, dundeefc1783 said:

I am planning to watch the fight back but from what I seen on the first viewing I just really struggle to see how Taylor could be awarded that many rounds. I get there was a lot of spoiling by Catterall which I don't think the ref helped with but I genuinely believe he won that fight.

I know punches landed etc doesn't always tell the story of a fight in isolation but when I look at the break down of rounds and specific punches, as well as what I seen on the night I really struggle to see why Taylor can be awarded all these rounds particulalry 11 and 12. So in rounds 11 and 12 Taylor landed a total of 3 punches in each round compared with 8 and 9 for Catterall so almost 3 to 1. When you specially break that down to power punches Taylor is 3 and 2 compared with Catteralls 5 and 7 so over double. So I really can't see why Taylor is awarded these rounds.

Looking at the stats for the entire fight Catterall outlanded Taylor in 11 out of 12 rounds and in terms of power punches he out landed Taylor in 9 out of 12 rounds. Jab wise it's like 9 to 12.

I get that people say that Taylor was the aggressor and the one coming forward and Catterall was spoiling but that aggression from Taylor has to be meaningful. He was like a drunk man in a pub fight coming forward with no plan at times for me. The punch stats show he was out worked and out landed throughout the fight.

Taylor's tactics for such an elite level fighter were fucking awful. He just thought he could walk through Catterall and break him down with his power and that didn't happen. For the bigger man with the bigger reach his Jab stats are truly awful. Surely he should have got behind the Jab and built from there but he just seemed intent in trying to blow Catterall away which didbt ever look like happening.

Maybe just an off night for Taylor and struggling at the weight but if he steps up to a bud Crawford or Earl Spence and performs like that they would destroy him.

I would agree with most of that and it mirrored my own thinking, especially after the initial viewing. What I would say watching back the fight was that in general there wasn't loads of punches thrown. 

Re the scoring, I think for me we could all score rounds differently  I think what was interesting though is that I watched the fight on Saturday and was gobsmacked at the outcome as I thought it was so one sided. Watching it again, I can see it was a much closer fight.

I still think catterall gets major props for nullifying taylor and wouldn't argue if folk think he won the fight, I just scored it as I saw it and found it interesting to see how much closer that was to the scorecards given all the hyperbole after the fight.

Edited by bob_mcshug

12 hours ago, bob_mcshug said:

I didn't see the fight live was just listening on the radio and of course heard all the controversy afterwards.

I watched the full fight last night and like you scored it 1 pt in favour of Taylor.

I thought the commentary was ridiculously biased.  They had Catterall winning the first 6 rounds which was just silly since many of them were pretty close and hard to score and in those situations I think you go with the champion.

Catterall won his rounds more decisively and he was definitely winning the fight going into round 9 but for me Taylor won the last four and the 1 point deduced for Catterall was huge.

There was 4, maybe 5 rounds that were very close for me so it wouldn't have surprised me if judges had scored it 2 pts in favour of Catterall say but honestly I'm slightly baffled by the scale of the controversy.

Taylor had a poor night and didn't look anything special at all but Catterall was gassed after 8 rounds and offered nothing going into the last four.  Honestly, he kind of threw it away.

I didn't see the fight live was just listening on the radio and of course heard all the controversy afterwards.
I watched the full fight last night and like you scored it 1 pt in favour of Taylor.
I thought the commentary was ridiculously biased.  They had Catterall winning the first 6 rounds which was just silly since many of them were pretty close and hard to score and in those situations I think you go with the champion.
Catterall won his rounds more decisively and he was definitely winning the fight going into round 9 but for me Taylor won the last four and the 1 point deduced for Catterall was huge.
There was 4, maybe 5 rounds that were very close for me so it wouldn't have surprised me if judges had scored it 2 pts in favour of Catterall say but honestly I'm slightly baffled by the scale of the controversy.
Taylor had a poor night and didn't look anything special at all but Catterall was gassed after 8 rounds and offered nothing going into the last four.  Honestly, he kind of threw it away.
Don't agree at all that just because rounds are close they should automatically go to the champion.

I genuinely cant see any reason why Taylor gets the last two rounds when he landed only 3 punches in each of these rounds and Catterall landed 3 times as many.