Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

16 minutes ago, Detournement said:

I'm watching GGG Vs Brook.

Golovokin looked like a monster at the time but he never fought that aggressively again. 

Golovkin walked through everything Brook threw at him in that fight. I think he realised pretty early on that he would be able to walk through any punches in order to land his own, and by using his feet to constantly cut Brook off was able to stay in range when Brook desperately wanted to get on his bike. The way he’s able to lead with either hand and with devastating power and accuracy, makes it very hard for his opponents to be able to set up their own attacks. They are constantly being outsmarted by Golovkins footwork, and I can’t even imagine how mentally draining it must be trying to deal with that, at the same time as trying to defend and land a few punches of your own. Constant pressure, every second of every round. 

There is a video on YouTube showing a tactical breakdown of the first GGG - Canelo fight, and it’s very interesting to see just how respectful Canelo was of Golovkins power, and the steps he took to try and nullify it. The standard of boxing in that fight is probably the best I’ve ever seen, two guys with genuine knockout power and the boxing brain to go with it, trying to outsmart each other like a chess match over 36 minutes. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

What's the script with Brook being boo'ed and Khan cheered? 

Surely everyone sees Amir is a fucking rocket?! 

Khan is from Bolton and will have a good support from the Greater Manchester area no doubt, particularly amongst the Asian community. Brook is from Sheffield and will have had less supporters in the arena since it was held in Manchester. 

1 minute ago, IrishBhoy said:

Khan is from Bolton and will have a good support from the Greater Manchester area no doubt, particularly amongst the Asian community. Brook is from Sheffield and will have had less supporters in the arena since it was held in Manchester. 

Thanks. Never thought it through like that. 

5 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Golovkin walked through everything Brook threw at him in that fight. I think he realised pretty early on that he would be able to walk through any punches in order to land his own, and by using his feet to constantly cut Brook off was able to stay in range when Brook desperately wanted to get on his bike. The way he’s able to lead with either hand and with devastating power and accuracy, makes it very hard for his opponents to be able to set up their own attacks. They are constantly being outsmarted by Golovkins footwork, and I can’t even imagine how mentally draining it must be trying to deal with that, at the same time as trying to defend and land a few punches of your own. Constant pressure, every second of every round. 

There is a video on YouTube showing a tactical breakdown of the first GGG - Canelo fight, and it’s very interesting to see just how respectful Canelo was of Golovkins power, and the steps he took to try and nullify it. The standard of boxing in that fight is probably the best I’ve ever seen, two guys with genuine knockout power and the boxing brain to go with it, trying to outsmart each other like a chess match over 36 minutes. 

Golovkin in his prime was a joy to watch in terms of distance control. A true hunter/killer type boxer. When he was at his best he was like a terminator. 

35 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Golovkin in his prime was a joy to watch in terms of distance control. A true hunter/killer type boxer. When he was at his best he was like a terminator. 

Aye a previous opponent said something along the lines of ‘he controls the distance in such a way that he’s never not in range’. You can see that in his fights, he absolutely stalks his opponent down with simple but effective footwork. That lead left hand carried some crazy power too. If the opponent had his guard high he would sink it in to the body in brutal fashion, if the guard was lower he would feint to the body and then land to the head.

I mentioned it earlier but you should have a look at the tactical breakdown of the first Canelo fight. Every feint, every side step, every jab was done with a reason behind it. I must admit a lot of that tactical stuff went over my head watching it live but when it’s broke down and explained it shows just what kind of level those two are boxing at. Masters of their craft. 

20 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Aye a previous opponent said something along the lines of ‘he controls the distance in such a way that he’s never not in range’. You can see that in his fights, he absolutely stalks his opponent down with simple but effective footwork. That lead left hand carried some crazy power too. If the opponent had his guard high he would sink it in to the body in brutal fashion, if the guard was lower he would feint to the body and then land to the head.

I mentioned it earlier but you should have a look at the tactical breakdown of the first Canelo fight. Every feint, every side step, every jab was done with a reason behind it. I must admit a lot of that tactical stuff went over my head watching it live but when it’s broke down and explained it shows just what kind of level those two are boxing at. Masters of their craft. 

When that stuff is happening live in real time its next to impossible to cast an analytical eye over it, if I was even really capable of it to begin with. So much to think about at one time. The number of times they will have drilled that stuff to make it secind nature will be insane. 

I don't particularly hate Khan, he was a good fighter on his day, but soundly beaten last night. He was absolutely burst after 4 rounds and never had the power to trouble Brook and I just felt there was more hunger with Brook to prove a point and Khan had just been out the ring a bit too long. Was an enjoyable fight tho, hard to tell where Brook goes now, I think he has one more in him. I know Benn making noises but I think he'd fancy Eubank more as he'll find it easier making the weight with that one, so more realistic

Edited by Squalor Vic

I don't particularly hate Khan, he was a good fighter on his day, but soundly beaten last night. He was absolutely burst after 4 rounds and never had the power to trouble Brook and I just felt there was more hunger with Brook to prove a point and Khan had just been out the ring a bit too long. Was an enjoyable fight tho, hard to tell where Brook goes now, I think he has one more in him. I know Benn making noises but I think he'd fancy Eubank more as he'll find it easier making the weight with that one, so more realistic

I used to hate Khan, I dont particularly now. Hes not relevant in boxing anymore.

Wev seen that fight plan for him before though, and by that I mean complete lack of a fight plan. There was no way he could have gotten through 12 rounds doing what he was doing. Far too many fighters these days seem to fail to understand that you need a plan to win over 12 rounds and anything else is a bonus.

12 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I used to hate Khan, I dont particularly now. Hes not relevant in boxing anymore.

Wev seen that fight plan for him before though, and by that I mean complete lack of a fight plan. There was no way he could have gotten through 12 rounds doing what he was doing. Far too many fighters these days seem to fail to understand that you need a plan to win over 12 rounds and anything else is a bonus.

I used to think Khan was an arrogant and deluded fool. He then appeared on Im a Celebrity a couple of years ago and actually came across really well, didn’t take himself too seriously and seemed to be a pretty compassionate person. I actually quite liked his antics in the build up to this fight as well, although I didn’t see the press conference where the racism allegations stemmed from, so it’s possible he’s still capable of acting like a dick. 

What I can say with certainty though, is that I’ve never seen a boxer at that level who is as liable to take a shot to the chin and start wobbling around in the manner Khan does. You would think by now he would be well aware that he doesn’t have the ability to take a clean shot and walk through it, in the way a Golovkin or a Canelo can. As you say, his trainer has sent him in there with a plan and he’s just took no notice of it. 

It would have been so much smarter to try and move in and out of range in the first round, try and gauge Brooks tactics, throw a few jabs and a few feints on the outside while moving to the left or the right, maybe put a combination together if the opportunity presents itself, but whatever you do dont go into the middle of the ring in round 1 and start brawling, get countered with a jab because you are wide open, and spend the next 6 rounds trying to recover. 

I used to think Khan was an arrogant and deluded fool. He then appeared on Im a Celebrity a couple of years ago and actually came across really well, didn’t take himself too seriously and seemed to be a pretty compassionate person. I actually quite liked his antics in the build up to this fight as well, although I didn’t see the press conference where the racism allegations stemmed from, so it’s possible he’s still capable of acting like a dick. 

What I can say with certainty though, is that I’ve never seen a boxer at that level who is as liable to take a shot to the chin and start wobbling around in the manner Khan does. You would think by now he would be well aware that he doesn’t have the ability to take a clean shot and walk through it, in the way a Golovkin or a Canelo can. As you say, his trainer has sent him in there with a plan and he’s just took no notice of it. 

It would have been so much smarter to try and move in and out of range in the first round, try and gauge Brooks tactics, throw a few jabs and a few feints on the outside while moving to the left or the right, maybe put a combination together if the opportunity presents itself, but whatever you do dont go into the middle of the ring in round 1 and start brawling, get countered with a jab because you are wide open, and spend the next 6 rounds trying to recover. 
He used to move in and out. He could do so in straight lines because he was so fast of foot. He hasnt managed to compensate at all for the decline in his natural gifts tbh. Hes really just not a very clever fighter.

29 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
40 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

He used to move in and out. He could do so in straight lines because he was so fast of foot. He hasnt managed to compensate at all for the decline in his natural gifts tbh. Hes really just not a very clever fighter.

I would be really interested to know just exactly what Khan and his trainer had been working on for the past 10 weeks or so. The more I think about it the more it seems that Khan has just took it upon himself to let his hands go in that first round, as I really can’t imagine that was the instruction from the corner. Has his trainer came out and done any media stuff yet? I don’t imagine he will come out and slate Khan publicly, but he must be pretty annoyed at that performance. I could be completely wrong and the plan was to go and jump all over Brook from the first bell, but I would be surprised. 

Saying all that, Khan did actually have a bit of success in rounds 2 and 3, and Brook developed a swelling around his left eye that he dabbed at with his glove a couple of times in the same manner he did when his eye socket went against Golovkin. Even at that point, if Khan had more of a boxing brain he would maybe have taken a step back, started peeling away to his right and aim more punches at that area. He could even have got inside and started roughing Brook up, switched up the tactics and started holding and grappling at close range not allowing Brook to tee off, and try to land over the top at the break. He could have literally tried anything, anything other than what he ended up doing tbh. 

29 minutes ago, Squalor Vic said:

In hindsight it just seems Khan knew he didn't have the ability to go more than 6 rounds or so, so was trying to get it over with quick.

It’s a fair point, but going off Khans demeanour pre fight I struggle to believe that. 

Even if that was true and he thought he needed to get Brook out of there before round 6, it still doesn’t make sense to stand and trade in the centre of the ring from the first bell. As other posters have said, you don’t go in to a 12 round fight without at least some sort of vague plan as to how you are going to navigate yourself through the fight. 

Doubt Sky will be able to use The Gloves Are Off to hype Taylor v Catterall as the attempt at trash talk from both was painful, not helped by the fact they don’t really have any beef.

Looks like a poor undercard too, at least in terms of recognisable names. For the main event it's hard to see anything other than a Taylor KO or comfortable decision. Best fighter Catterall has on his record is probably Ohara Davies which says a lot about the levels both have been at.

1 hour ago, GaryMc93 said:

Doubt Sky will be able to use The Gloves Are Off to hype Taylor v Catterall as the attempt at trash talk from both was painful, not helped by the fact they don’t really have any beef.

Looks like a poor undercard too, at least in terms of recognisable names. For the main event it's hard to see anything other than a Taylor KO or comfortable decision. Best fighter Catterall has on his record is probably Ohara Davies which says a lot about the levels both have been at.

There’s been a notable difference in terms of the quality of undercard between the previous Matchroom shows on Sky and the current Boxxer promotion. I seen an interview with Adam Smith a couple of weeks back where he said some of their Saturday night shows would possibly only have one undercard fight before the main event, and the rest of the card would come after. Apparently that’s how it used to be back in the 80s or 90s, and it was just your luck if you got to see another fight when the main event ended early. 

For all the stick Eddie Hearn used to take with regards to PPV events etc., there’s absolutely no chance he would have had two English title fights on the undercard of a pay per view event. Matchrooms PPV model had the fighters at the top of the bill paying the purse of the fighters on the undercard, so that it was in everyone’s interest to build the promotion as much as they could and drive up PPV buys. I remember Chisora complaining about it one time, that the fighters on the undercard were getting paid out of his cut, but it’s actually quite a good way to incentivise higher profile undercard fights that will contribute to the PPV buys. 

The fact is that Matchroom were a far more established company than Boxxer, they had a much bigger roster and were able to draw on that to get deeper cards.  I think Boxxer will get better the longer the contract with Sky goes on - the money and exposure Sky brings will allow them to attract fighters.

I remember back in the late 1990s and early 2000s some of the PPV shows were absolutely stacked with world title fights.  I just looked up one - the Joe Calzaghe - Riochie Woodhall card featured the following.

Calzaghe-Woodhall - WBO super middle title

Paul Ingle v Mbuelo Botil - IBF featherweight title (sadly Ingle was severely injured in this fight but happily made a full recovery)

Daniel Santos v Neil Sinclair - WBO welterweight title (Santos was a good Puerto Rican fighter)

Mauiricio Martinez v Esham Pickering - WBO bantamweight title (PIckering got KOd in the first, bit of a mismatch)

Acelino Freitas v Daniel Alicea - Freitas was the WBO super-feather champion but I think he missed weight for this one and blew Alicea out in a round.  Alicea previously lost in 30 seconds to Naseem Hamed.

The reason for all these big fights is that Frank Warren was so dominant in British boxing at that time - I think he was the only guy who had a TV deal then, so he basically had all the British world champs (except Lennox Lewis who stayed away from him).  The promotional scene is a lot more competitive now, not least because you have so many different TV options - currently live boxing is shown on Sky, Channel 5, BT Sport, DAZN, ITV and various other places.

Taylor v Catterall workouts for TV done there. Catterall is a solid, solid mandatory but think the step up in class will catch him out. Taylor by wide points I think but might go looking for a big finish if he gets carried away, which he usually does.