Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

16 hours ago, kiddy said:

I see Taylor's doing his best to sell tickets again.

Mind you, if it WERE a Fascist State, he wouldn't have to do that, as every seat would be taken.

Josh Taylor deletes 'SNP fascist state' tweet – but insists he 'stands by it' | The National

How would every seat be taken?

Umberto Eco must have forgotten to put sell out sports events on his 14 common features of fascism. 

Kash Farooq has been forced to retire due to "unforeseen circumstances"

Real shame for him, would have loved to see a rematch with Lee McGregor at some stage. 

Edited by Duffy_

board of control had canned boxing for all of January.

Feb 5th you should have Eubank Jr vs Liam Williams.

Feb 12th Danny Jacobs vs John Ryder.

Feb 19th Kell Brook vs Amir Khan.

Feb 26th Josh Taylor vs Jack Catterall.

board of control had canned boxing for all of January.

Feb 5th you should have Eubank Jr vs Liam Williams.

Feb 12th Danny Jacobs vs John Ryder.

Feb 19th Kell Brook vs Amir Khan.

Feb 26th Josh Taylor vs Jack Catterall.
Eubank/Williams in doubt, due to covid restrictions in Wales.

• 2 weeks later...

AJ making noises about "discussing his options" for his next fight.

Heres me thinking he was signed to fight Usyk and DEFINITELY wanted that match.

If he steps aside, its because he is looking at the biggest money exit plan, which will be likely 2, 3 at the most fights.

AJ making noises about "discussing his options" for his next fight.

Heres me thinking he was signed to fight Usyk and DEFINITELY wanted that match.

If he steps aside, its because he is looking at the biggest money exit plan, which will be likely 2, 3 at the most fights.
If he steps aside, I doubt we'd ever see the Fury fight happening. As I think Luke would retire if he shitfests his way to a win over Usyk.
Should Usyk win, it would only ensure a second scolding at the Ukranians hands. Leaving the UK with something akin to Khan/Brook, writ large.

8 hours ago, kiddy said:

If he steps aside, I doubt we'd ever see the Fury fight happening. As I think Luke would retire if he shitfests his way to a win over Usyk.
Should Usyk win, it would only ensure a second scolding at the Ukranians hands. Leaving the UK with something akin to Khan/Brook, writ large.

It will all be written in tbh, but whether Fury is reliable in that way is a gamble. Hes a firebrand, he feels he owes the Hearn types nothing and I tend to agree. 

The only way you can sell another huge Wembley fight for AJ is if he doesnt lose again. You can still just about sell AJ v Fury, but not if Usyk has slapped AJ about again. So the step aside makes sense in that AJ is looking to bow out and wants the biggest money fight(s) before doing so. 

Bit late to the party, but absolutely gutted for Kash Farooq having to retire so young. The Scottish/UK boxing fans have been deprived of an absolutely brilliant fight with Lee McGregor, as well as not getting to see how Kashs career would have played out; there would have been world title fights down the line at the very least. I’ve mentioned before I train in the same gym as him so I’m possibly a bit biased, but he really was my favourite fighter to watch. His movement and punch picking was world class, and although not the heaviest handed, he would still manage to wear his opponents down with quick and accurate shots. 

I was actually speaking to him in the gym the day before it appeared on Twitter that he had to retire, and I genuinely thought it was a practical joke when I read it. He was in doing his sit ups and stretches and pounding away at the heavy bag like he was training for a fight, which we all assumed he was. Was gutted to find out it was true. Should also say Lee McGregor has acted with a real bit of class following the news. I was already a fan but he’s went up a few notches with his words towards Kash