Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Are you thinking he does this before 21 is out? May 22 Im hearing, which means 3 this year and probably makes 22 a 2 fight year.

Im not keen unless he intends to grab that belt then unify at Cruiser. Makabu is a soft touch, which admittedly is as much a comment on Alvarez abilities as Makabus.

Hes 31 now Canelo, at 2 fights a year till retirement, whats the wishlist? Id take 1 more v GGG although I think Canelo steamrolls him now. After that, Benavidez to close the book on 168. Beterbiev at 75, then Breidis at Cruiser.

Thats 4 fights. Whats your 4 fight path?

Should have said "in the last year" as was including the Smith fight from last December. Personally, I don't see him ever going back down to Middleweight, would be a hellish cut at this stage in his career considering the weight's he's fought at thus far. I also don't see him sticking around at Cruiser. It's a "legacy" fight similar to Manny smashing up Margarito (one of my favourite performances ever) or Floyd (ironically) beating Canelo. It's as high as they can go for a "one and done" whilst adding a title and not somewhere they'll stay to defend against the divisions murderers. I'd like to see  Benavidez at SM (Canelo wins easy, but completely clears that division), and then a full time move to LH with a couple of tune-ups, then Beterbiev, Bivol and a Gilberto Ramirez Mexican stand-off for Cinco. Other than that, at the moment, every other fight is plain sailing for him, IMO.

2 hours ago, Fraser Fyvie said:

Fair play to him for ducking Charlo and Benavidez and still convincing people he’s talking a tougher fight.

Charlo is not a draw, and has literally zero chance of beating him. Canelo isn't going back to middle either, so a belt in a new division does considerably more for his legacy than cleaning up MW again or bombing out a blown-up Charlo at SMW. Below cruiser, the only two fighters capable of beating this version of Canelo are Beterbiev and Bivol, no one else. I've been critical of some of the cherry picking earlier in his career when he was at middle and initially swerving GGG, but it's fucking ludicrous to suggest he's ducking guys that he'd handidly take care of now. What would be the point?

Charlo is not a draw, and has literally zero chance of beating him. Canelo isn't going back to middle either, so a belt in a new division does considerably more for his legacy than cleaning up MW again or bombing out a blown-up Charlo at SMW. Below cruiser, the only two fighters capable of beating this version of Canelo are Beterbiev and Bivol, no one else. I've been critical of some of the cherry picking earlier in his career when he was at middle and initially swerving GGG, but it's fucking ludicrous to suggest he's ducking guys that he'd handidly take care of now. What would be the point?

And Makabu is a draw? It’s a clear cherry pick at an easy world title in another weight class. Can’t really blame him for it but that’s what it is. He could’ve fought Beterbiev to become unified at 175 but chose not to.

And Makabu is a draw? It’s a clear cherry pick at an easy world title in another weight class. Can’t really blame him for it but that’s what it is. He could’ve fought Beterbiev to become unified at 175 but chose not to.
He can't unify at 175 cause he doesn't hold a belt there anymore.

I'm not a massive Canelo fan at all (the clenbuterol saga and first Golovkin fight judging really stick in my craw) but I genuinely think this is tremendous from him. Excited to see it.

He can't unify at 175 cause he doesn't hold a belt there anymore.

I'm not a massive Canelo fan at all (the clenbuterol saga and first Golovkin fight judging really stick in my craw) but I genuinely think this is tremendous from him. Excited to see it.

Beterbiev is unified at 175.

On 17/11/2021 at 20:30, Fraser Fyvie said:

Not in isolation, no, but there's a very marketable narrative in Canelo jumping two divisions to try and win a world title in a 5th (and new) division. Makabu might be the weakest champion at that weight, but it's still a guy that started at 147, won his first world title at 154, and most recently fought at 168 jumping up to 200lbs to challenge a world champion. That's insane whatever way you look at it. Also, however it goes, the Beterbiev or Bivol fights at LHW is still there regardless, and actually become more likely with his increase in weight for Makabu. 

This isn't Floyd finishing his (proper) professional career with Andre Berto. This is a live fight with a big puncher at a huge weight, regardless of how crude Makabu may be, and I think it's a hell of a stretch to try and pull a negative from it.

[emoji23][emoji1787][emoji23]
Im fairly sure he has spoken about heavyweight before. There will never be a smaller heavyweight champ available to fight.

Usyk has lost to smaller guys in his amateur days including Shawn Porter.

Theres quite literally no way Canelos team arent pondering this. Remains to be seen whether he goes for it. I genuinely would not be surprised to see him try.

I always thought Teofimo Lopez was a classless little shit, and if ever there was an example of an someone believing their own hype and paying for it, it was last night. He’s had smoke blown up his arse for 18 months, and saw Kambossas as a formality that he’d blow out in a round. The second it became evident that wasn’t happening, he seemed completely flummoxed. His dad is a complete arsehole as well, and gave one of the worst corner performances I’ve ever seen. Continually contradictory “advice” (if you can call it that), no actual instructions, and just seemed to get caught up in their own bullshit.

Though Kambossas fought really well, timed Lopez from the first minute, countered him constantly and used his jab to keep Lopez off balance. Had it 115-111, and thought he won comfortably. No rematch clause either, so he can take his pick in a fantastic division. Loma, Haney, Garcia, Tank, Shakur will all be wanting a piece.

Was talk of Lopez moving up to fight Josh Taylor. On that performance, Josh would eat him alive.

I always thought Teofimo Lopez was a classless little shit, and if ever there was an example of an someone believing their own hype and paying for it, it was last night. He’s had smoke blown up his arse for 18 months, and saw Kambossas as a formality that he’d blow out in a round. The second it became evident that wasn’t happening, he seemed completely flummoxed. His dad is a complete arsehole as well, and gave one of the worst corner performances I’ve ever seen. Continually contradictory “advice” (if you can call it that), no actual instructions, and just seemed to get caught up in their own bullshit.

Though Kambossas fought really well, timed Lopez from the first minute, countered him constantly and used his jab to keep Lopez off balance. Had it 115-111, and thought he won comfortably. No rematch clause either, so he can take his pick in a fantastic division. Loma, Haney, Garcia, Tank, Shakur will all be wanting a piece.

Was talk of Lopez moving up to fight Josh Taylor. On that performance, Josh would eat him alive.
Imagine getting his pic taken wi Canelo, when he coulda been like Logan Paul, & got one wi Taylor as well!
[emoji23][emoji1787][emoji23]

19 hours ago, jaggyness said:

Khan and Brook after realising they aren't an attractive fight for anyone else finally agree to fight each other. Of course sky put it on box office for two past their best fighters with likely a terrible undercard meaning few will be watching

Yeah, its really poor to be charging folk extra for a fight like this. It's exaclty this sort of fight where the promoters/broadcasters determination to fleece the fans is really naked and clear to see.

12 hours ago, We Are Pars Fans! said:

5 years to late for this match

Agreed. If they can stage this fight in 2014 we've got a banger. 

But with them now both at the latter ends of careers that have seem them both take a few bad stoppages does it really even matter who wins? There's nothing at stake. 

A few years ago I'd have had Brook outlasting and stopping Khan but f**k knows now.