Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

16 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

I've actually forgotten how poor heavyweight boxing actually is, hit then hold, hit then hold repeat for as many rounds as it takes until one big guy falls over before the other one, through exhaustion more than anything else.

Wilder is just walking round the outside of the ring.

Compared to the high level boxing of two weeks ago, that was an utter abomination.

But at least the fight fans were entertained.

What a fight.

Technically it wasn't proficient but Fury did enough to prove to me he's the best in the world.

The fight to be made now is Usyk vs Fury. That's the true battle to be made. Not Joshua. 

Fury now deserves his name alongside Klitchsko or Lennox Lewis. Before tonight he didn't. What a sensational win. That's the group he belongs in now.

27 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

What a fight.

Technically it wasn't proficient but Fury did enough to prove to me he's the best in the world.

The fight to be made now is Usyk vs Fury. That's the true battle to be made. Not Joshua. 

Fury now deserves his name alongside Klitchsko or Lennox Lewis. Before tonight he didn't. What a sensational win. That's the group he belongs in now.

Maybe Klitschko at a push, I like Fury but I can't have him anywhere near Lennox Lewis. No way. 

Maybe Klitschko at a push, I like Fury but I can't have him anywhere near Lennox Lewis. No way. 

Based on what exactly? I think Lennox is a top lad, and was a great fighter, but the only two prime world class fighters he fought were Holyfield and Vitali (who there’s an argument to be made he was lucky with the decision to stop it). Bruno was a national treasure, but essentially the early 90s equivalent of Chisora ability wise. McCall and Raham were B-level fighters overall (lots of talent, no discipline) that he didn’t take seriously, shouldn’t have lost to and spanked in rematches, and Tyson was an absolute shell of his prime by the time they fought.

Fury’s beatings of Wlad, Del x 2 and Wilder x 2 / 3 more than match up to Lewis’ record just in isolation. Throw in the context of the depression, suicide attempts and insane weight gain and loss, and it probably trumps it. Would have loved to see a fight between the pair in their primes mind you.

18 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

How would Usyk get on against these two guys?

As I mentioned 2 weeks ago, Fury/Usyk would be a shitfest. As it would be 12 rounds of Fury spoiling & lying all over the top of the Ukrainian. 

34 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

Based on what exactly? I think Lennox is a top lad, and was a great fighter, but the only two prime world class fighters he fought were Holyfield and Vitali (who there’s an argument to be made he was lucky with the decision to stop it). Bruno was a national treasure, but essentially the early 90s equivalent of Chisora ability wise. McCall and Raham were B-level fighters overall (lots of talent, no discipline) that he didn’t take seriously, shouldn’t have lost to and spanked in rematches, and Tyson was an absolute shell of his prime by the time they fought.

Fury’s beatings of Wlad, Del x 2 and Wilder x 2 / 3 more than match up to Lewis’ record just in isolation. Throw in the context of the depression, suicide attempts and insane weight gain and loss, and it probably trumps it. Would have loved to see a fight between the pair in their primes mind you.

Fighting Wilder, nearly 40 Wlad and Chisora(!) does not equate to Lewis. 

He doesn't get credit for fighting Wilder three times ffs. 

Edited by Detournement

1 hour ago, J_Stewart said:

Furys fights against Wilder have been great to watch, but Wilder doesn't get near a belt in Lewis era. Fury still gets credit for the wins and performances from me, but Lennox Lewis generally finds his way into most folks heavyweight all time top 10s. Tyson Fury won't, and is unlikely to based on available opponents left before he raps it. Off the top of my head, on LL's record, names that are better than literally everyone on Furys record with the exception of Wlad and in some cases, Wilder.... (and leaving out the ones you already mentioned.) I would have Grant, Tua, Morrison, Ruddock, Mercer, Tucker, Golota. 

I dont want to type this post like its in some way a criticism of Tyson Fury. I like him, I rate him, but he isn't close to Lennox Lewis for me.

A real gutsy performance from both fighters. Incredible resolve from Wilder to hold on for so long, he definitely had a punchers chance as the 4th round proved, amazing come back from Fury though who ended up out boxing him for the 2nd half of the fight.

Always felt it was a matter of time before Wilder ran out of steam, he looked knackered by the 3rd round. He had nothing left in his punches and Fury just had to pick his moment.

Some devastating knock downs, especially when Fury knocked Wilder down the 2nd time.

Very entertaining with both guys just going to town on each other. 

F**k me, we're not going down the "lucky against Vitali" rabbit hole again are we? That fight had turned & 'Big' Klitschko had a face like a Butcher's shop by the time the fight was stopped, in the sixth round.

A few things from rewatching the fight.

- Fair play to Wilder for finally changing tactics a bit, however bulking up fucked him tbh

- Also fair play to the ref for breaking up grappling asap to make it the spectacle it was.

- Lol @ Wilder doing his stupid win salute at the end of every round regardless of the beating he was taking. 

Edited by gannonball

37 minutes ago, gannonball said:

A few things from rewatching the fight.

- Fair play to Wilder for finally changing tactics a bit, however bulking up fucked him tbh

- Also fair play to the ref for breaking up grappling asap to make it the spectacle it was.

- Lol @ Wilder doing his stupid win salute at the end of every round regardless of the beating he was taking. 

Changed tactics, 😂😂😂 They didn't even last into round two!

2 minutes ago, kiddy said:

Changed tactics, 😂😂😂 They didn't even last into round two!

With the understated rounds and multiple childish crying emojis aside, Wilder lasted much more than I though he would. Fury was in arguably better shape again than the second fight so obviously Wilder must have  have been doing something different for a change given his capitulation previously. Nothing ground breaking but the maximum I could ever expect from him with only in-house changes and the age he is at.