Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Fury is a totally different level from Bellew.  He has the best movement and ring skills of any current heavyweight by miles, he's fucking enormous and he can take a punch.

Usyk has done great and proved a lot of people wrong but it's a different story when Fury starts clinching and leaning on him for 6, 7, 8 rounds.  There was a spell in the match last night where Usyk looked gassed and AJ made a bit of a come back.  Fury will exhaust him in the ring way more than AJ did.

So he's got "the  best movement and ring skills of any current heavyweight by miles" but will be  "a different story when Fury starts clinching and leaning on him"

In short, Fury will find out he's not Ali incarnate & resort to spoiling..

Forby last nights contracted  rematch, the Wilder/Fury winner will be mandated to fight Whyte. So any undisputed match is at least a year away. Most likely early 2023. By which time, the WBA would be looking for a mandatory defence from the Ukranian.

At that point Usyk & Wilder would be 36, Fury 34,  & Joshua 32.

Edited by kiddy

Asked about any future fight with WBC champion Fury, Joshua said: "The road to undisputed is marketing. When I pulled up today, it just reminds me that it's a big circus. This is the greatest show on Earth.

"I'll fight Tyson Fury and Wilder without the belts. The belts are fun, it's great, it's legacy - but with or without the belts, I'll fight whoever. The road to undisputed [champion] is a nice title to have and chase but would you still watch it without the belts?

"The main thing is that you have got two competitive fighters in the ring from UK soil that just want to go toe-to-toe."

Don't know what planet he's living on. Winning ALL the belts & being "Undisputed" are everything. It would be direct entry into the pantheon of Boxing Greats.

'That fight' could probably have sold out Wembley twice over, at ridiculous ticket/PPV prices.

Two schmucks, named Joe, going toe-to-toe, over bragging rights? See you at the 02 mate & neither of them are on Sky.

Since Ruiz exposed his chin he's been terrified to come forward.
When Lewis lost to Rahman he came back and decked the guy with one of the all time great shots.  When AJ lost to Ruiz he came back and played it safe for the win.  The alarm bells should gone off then.  AJ isn't as bad as his detractors will make out but he knows he doesn't have a chin and that's in his head now plus he doesn't have the grit in his belly that you need to be a real warrior.  I don't think anyone out the Top 4 is actually going to beat him but he's not the fighter he was pre Ruiz loss and you gotta have Usyk and Fury ahead of him as the top guys.  

Yeah I know what you mean…. For me I love Usyk and I openly admit I expected AJ to lay him out after 8-9 rounds but he never imposed himself on Usyk. He was a lot heavier, physically could of bullied him on the inside and hits harder… wouldn’t let his hands go because of the suspect chin!!

I think AJ needs to go back to the AJ who fought Dylan Whyte, Wladimir etc f**k the boxing go and use your athleticism…… if he doesn’t do this and loses the rematch then I’m afraid he’s done and I love what he’s done for boxing l!

Ps he needs a new trainer, McCracken has done well for him but time for them to part ways, all I heard him shout was brilliant [emoji50]

Yeah I know what you mean…. For me I love Usyk and I openly admit I expected AJ to lay him out after 8-9 rounds but he never imposed himself on Usyk. He was a lot heavier, physically could of bullied him on the inside and hits harder… wouldn’t let his hands go because of the suspect chin!!

I think AJ needs to go back to the AJ who fought Dylan Whyte, Wladimir etc f**k the boxing go and use your athleticism…… if he doesn’t do this and loses the rematch then I’m afraid he’s done and I love what he’s done for boxing l!

Ps he needs a new trainer, McCracken has done well for him but time for them to part ways, all I heard him shout was brilliant [emoji50]
Was that McCracken shouting BRILLIANT AJ over and over? Had me raging

Don't think Eddie has quite realised his guy lost on Saturday. Seems to think any rematch WON'T take place in Kiev!!

Usyk has already said he wants it there & Hearn should think himself lucky the Ukranians agreed to a rematch clause, as it wasn't required being a Mandatory defence.

Don't think Eddie has quite realised his guy lost on Saturday. Seems to think any rematch WON'T take place in Kiev!!
Usyk has already said he wants it there & Hearn should think himself lucky the Ukranians agreed to a rematch clause, as it wasn't required being a Mandatory defence.

He should be advising against his man taking such a rinsing again tbh. The Ruiz KO is easier to explain away than getting your pants pulled down over 12 rounds

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

He should be advising against his man taking such a rinsing again tbh. The Ruiz KO is easier to explain away than getting your pants pulled down over 12 rounds

He was simply out boxed in a Boxing match. To put up as good a display as he did, for somebody with his resume, compared to Usyk's, was admirable IMO & one of the most technical Heavyweight title fights for many a year.

It was ALWAYS going to be his toughest test, against an elite boxer & was well beaten in the end.

Joshua HAS to come in to any rematch from a different viewpoint. One which might show if his height, weight & reach may count against the smaller opponent; making it a "Fight" & firing big shots. Unlike Ruiz, Usyk isn't supposed to carry the weight or punch liable to trouble those 'Big Heavyweights'.

It is the only alternative to another 12 round trouncing on points. Better to lose trying something different, than enter with the same plan & expecting a different result.

3 minutes ago, kiddy said:

He was simply out boxed in a Boxing match. To put up as good a display as he did, for somebody with his resume, compared to Usyk's, was admirable IMO & one of the most technical Heavyweight title fights for many a year.

It was ALWAYS going to be his toughest test, against an elite boxer & was well beaten in the end.

Joshua HAS to come in to any rematch from a different viewpoint. One which might show if his height, weight & reach may count against the smaller opponent; making it a "Fight" & firing big shots. Unlike Ruiz, Usyk isn't supposed to carry the weight or punch liable to trouble those 'Big Heavyweights'.

It is the only alternative to another 12 round trouncing on points. Better to lose trying something different, than enter with the same plan & expecting a different result.

Andy Ruiz burned caution into AJs psyche. He now knows Usyk can wobble him, and also tag him at will with the straight back hand. Tyson Fury said he should go right in on Usyk but that takes balls that AJ doesnt have. I suspect AJ and McCracken knew all of this. I mean we doscussed it here before the fight... AJ was ALWAYS going to use his size to win the fight..... wasnt he? 

Except he didn't. Only he knows why, the rest of us can only speculate but I dont think we are any more likely to see a less cautious AJ in a rematch. 

On 27/09/2021 at 14:10, kiddy said:

That annoyed me on Saturday night. Usyk has just came to London and schooled AJ in his home city…first question he is asked by the Sky interviewer ‘Are you willing to come back to London to defend your belts?’  

Fair enough, your almost guaranteed a big crowd in London etc, but Usyk is the champion and it should be he and his team who decide where the fights goes. Kiev has stadiums that could be used and would almost certainly sell out, albeit not at the same ticket prices as London.