Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

2009/10/11 Manny would have given it a hell of a go.

What we got was a total pantomine with Manny far enough removed from dangerous to make it a safe option.

Not just Floyd to blame though, both parties fucked that up not getting that fight until years after it was perfectly poised as one of the all time great fights is a very obvious stain on modern boxing. A textbook example to point at during the "whats wrong with modern boxing" conversations

Was there not a big thing about drug testing?

what I loved about manny is he went out swinging…. Granted before Mayweather had hand problems he was actually a very good finisher!

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

2009/10/11 Manny would have given it a hell of a go.

What we got was a total pantomine with Manny far enough removed from dangerous to make it a safe option.

Not just Floyd to blame though, both parties fucked that up not getting that fight until years after it was perfectly poised as one of the all time great fights is a very obvious stain on modern boxing. A textbook example to point at during the "whats wrong with modern boxing" conversations

Floyd is older than Manny though. The fight was extremely one sided and Manny moaning about a shoulder injury while pocketing hundreds of millions was a bad look.

45 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Floyd is older than Manny though. The fight was extremely one sided and Manny moaning about a shoulder injury while pocketing hundreds of millions was a bad look.

Their fight was an embarrassment. A borderline exhibition with both of them grinning and fist bumping their way to the bank. They knew it was years overcooked and so did we. Age doesn't matter anything like as much as miles on the clock, in boxing terms the wear and tear Manny took throughout his career is way higher than Floyds and in particular the run against muc bigger guys prior to getting absolutely waxed by JMM out a LOT of miles on Manny. If him and Floyd fought after Manny beat Hatton, or Cotto, we'd have got the definitive fight we should have got and it would have been talked about among the great fights of all time. I am sure both are happy with their choices though. Both retired rich legends of the game.

59 minutes ago, Detournement said:

There’s still some people out there who won’t give Mayweather the credit he deserves purely down to the fact they don’t like his personality. When you go back and look at highlight reels of his fights he’s absolutely unreal. He finished most of his fights with hardly a mark on his face. His intelligence in the ring is up there with the best there has ever been imo. It wasn’t luck that his opponents would miss him by millimetres time and time again, it was years of perfecting that upper body movement that allowed him to then be close enough to counter. 

His jab, pull back, straight one two was the cleanest there’s ever been. A very simple combination but so effective for Mayweather. The first jab would rock the head back, he would pull back out of range to entice his opponent forward then fire a straight one two right down the pipe, and because the opponent was on his way forward after the first jab the one two landed even heavier. He had so much in the locker you could talk about him all day, it’s put me in the mood to go and watch some of his highlights on YouTube. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

There’s still some people out there who won’t give Mayweather the credit he deserves purely down to the fact they don’t like his personality. When you go back and look at highlight reels of his fights he’s absolutely unreal. He finished most of his fights with hardly a mark on his face. His intelligence in the ring is up there with the best there has ever been imo. It wasn’t luck that his opponents would miss him by millimetres time and time again, it was years of perfecting that upper body movement that allowed him to then be close enough to counter. 

His jab, pull back, straight one two was the cleanest there’s ever been. A very simple combination but so effective for Mayweather. The first jab would rock the head back, he would pull back out of range to entice his opponent forward then fire a straight one two right down the pipe, and because the opponent was on his way forward after the first jab the one two landed even heavier. He had so much in the locker you could talk about him all day, it’s put me in the mood to go and watch some of his highlights on YouTube. 
What's your favourite Mayweather win?

A quite frankly ridiculous verdict in the Sam Maxwell Ennis-Brown fight. 2 judges had it by 2 & the third by one ALL in favour of Maxwell who hardly laid a glove on his opponent.

Woodhall & Frampton both had it by rounds the other way & I  couldn't say I'd disagree!

16 hours ago, Sir Kevin Of Kilsyth said:

Josh Taylor defending all the belts against his mandatory, Jack Cattrall at the Hydro Saturday 18th December. Hopefully he gets through this easy enough and we get a superfight here next summer.

Im sure Taylor won’t take Catterall lightly but its a fight he should breeze through. Stranger things have happened, but not many. 

If he does come through that then, as you say, the super fights should be made next. If he’s fighting at that elite level though I can’t see them being staged anywhere but America. Can’t see guys like Lopez, Crawford or Davis coming over to Glasgow or Edinburgh, and Taylor will have no choice but to travel over there. It probably makes sense for his profile to have at least one fight in America against one of those names, even though he’s an undisputed champion he’s not exactly a household name, even in the UK.

I do wonder what Eddie Hearn would have done with his career if he got him before he signed with the McGuigans, he would probably have a lot more money in his bank account for starters.

Edited by IrishBhoy

Im sure Taylor won’t take Catterall lightly but its a fight he should breeze through. Stranger things have happened, but not many. 

If he does come through that then, as you say, the super fights should be made next. If he’s fighting at that elite level though I can’t see them being staged anywhere but America. Can’t see guys like Lopez, Crawford or Davis coming over to Glasgow or Edinburgh, and Taylor will have no choice but to travel over there. It probably makes sense for his profile to have at least one fight in America against one of those names, even though he’s an undisputed champion he’s not exactly a household name, even in the UK.

I do wonder what Eddie Hearn would have done with his career if he got him before he signed with the McGuigans, he would probably have a lot more money in his bank account for starters.
I'm not sure Eddie would have moved him at the same pace that the Mcguigans did.

On 26/08/2021 at 20:51, Bairnardo said:
On 24/08/2021 at 23:03, Rob1885 said:
Its Canelo for me as well

Theres a lot to like about that Mayweather despite all the criticisms, but I would be rewatching his bodying of Diego Corrales before making a call on heavier Floyd being his best performances.

Just going back to this, I watched Mayweather Corrales again the other night. I would have to rewatch a select few of his potential rivals for greatest fight, but I tend to think Canelo is the only one of possible equal standing in terms of the quality of the opponent. Given that I think Floyd didnt fight the best Canelo (i.e todays Canelo), and Corrales was 33-0 with 27 KOs when they met, I don't think i'm changing my mind on this. Corrales, despite looking like a man fighting a wee laddie, had absolutely no fucking idea what to do with Floyd