Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

I'm not massively into boxing but I always enjoy a pointless Mayweather exhibition purely as a source of printing money. Only getting about £14 back from 100 on this though, the McGregor fight he was something ridiculous like 1/3.

6 hours ago, AMMjag said:

I'm not massively into boxing but I always enjoy a pointless Mayweather exhibition purely as a source of printing money. Only getting about £14 back from 100 on this though, the McGregor fight he was something ridiculous like 1/3.

Oh dear. 

Mayweather sparking him out but doing everything he can to keep him upright so Paul doesn't need to take a count is quite something. 

Apparently his little brother took an absolute hidin' though, which is nice. 

Seems like wasted money since there was never going to be a winner
Snap , wish I hadn't though.
It was fucking brutal. Logan Paul seems the lesser of the two evils...the other one needs a proper good hiding from someone.

1 hour ago, Cptn Hooch said:

It was fucking brutal. Logan Paul seems the lesser of the two evils...the other one needs a proper good hiding from someone.

I see he's "calling out" Canelo Alvarez. 

Seems about as good a candidate as any to dish out said hiding. Probably the only way these bouts cease is if one of the YouTube guys gets badly hurt. 

The likes of Canelo in his prime, and who seems broadly offended by this youtuber shite, would probably put him down hard but he is not going to entertain this type of sham you'd think. 

Mental that some people paid for whatever nonsense that was.

Cannot say "fair play" enough to Floyd for essentially reviving an entire industry (showcase fights like H_B mentioned) and making a fortune out of it whilst taking literally zero risk. He's some boy. I mean he literally called himself a legalised bank robber in one of the pressers, he's not even hiding the fact that he's completely coasting in these 'fights' and that there's no actual competition involved such is the disparity in ability. whistling all the way to the bank.

I've said it before, but I have absolutely no problem with these events. They're not going towards anyone's status within boxing, no one is getting ranked or put in contention for title fights off the back of them, and the actual boxers on it - such as Badou Jack - will get a hell of a lot more exposure fighting on this than say if he'd fought on Josh Taylor's undercard recently. Win / win for all concerned. These events are successful, and they're not going anywhere as a result. If you are completely set against them, just don't watch, or comment, or pay any attention to it at all, it's easy to ignore. Otherwise, accept it for what it is, a source of sports entertainment as opposed to a sporting contest.

1 minute ago, J_Stewart said:

I've said it before, but I have absolutely no problem with these events.

I'm not a expert on boxing history but I don't think these are new. Ali and Foreman fought wrestlers and American football players. Rocky Marciano made most of his money doing exhibition bouts against local celebrities in between title fights at county fairs and all sorts. Boxing's always made its money from nonsense like this and punters have always lapped it up

59 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I'm not a expert on boxing history but I don't think these are new. Ali and Foreman fought wrestlers and American football players. Rocky Marciano made most of his money doing exhibition bouts against local celebrities in between title fights at county fairs and all sorts. Boxing's always made its money from nonsense like this and punters have always lapped it up

It absolutely isn't new, and that was basically what I was getting at with the "Floyd reviving an industry" line. He hasn't created anything new here, just re-established a form of entertainment that had been previously very popular. 

I think perception is the issue really. Ali and Marciano fought other athletes. As with Floyd, there was no way in this world or any other they would lose an up-and-up boxing match to 99% of professional boxers, let alone athletes from other sports, but at least the NFL players or wrestlers were considered 'tough guys' and weren't over exposed through the media. With the "Youtubers", not only are they everywhere, they also seem to be viewed with a lack of legitimacy, which makes these things easier to scoff at I guess. People are probably a bit better informed now too. When Ali v Inoki happened in the past, people still thought wrestling as real, and that Inoki could legitimately hurt this guy. That level of mystique just doesn't exist anymore.

As I say though, I have absolutely zero problem with these events. Will I pay for / watch them? No. Am I going to get furiously angry at their existence and claim that they'll lead to the death of boxing? Also no. They're entertainment, plain and simple.

1 minute ago, J_Stewart said:

When Ali v Inoki happened in the past, people still thought wrestling as real, and that Inoki could legitimately hurt this guy.

Whether wrestling is fake or not I have no doubt Inoki could have ripped Ali apart if he fancied it. 

1 hour ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Whether wrestling is fake or not I have no doubt Inoki could have ripped Ali apart if he fancied it. 

You just have to see how Hulk Hogan treated Rocky. Boxing pussies!

1003482505_1NAr(1).gif.1e83c5f845b0338ccf4e4d2110163c55.gif

rocky1.gif

Edited by kiddy

4 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

Apparently his little brother took an absolute hidin' though, which is nice. 

If it was from the 3 ring card girls that he was stood beside then he would have enjoyed every second.

2 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Yeah, rewatched Jack Johnson: Unforgivable Blackness on PBS America last night and he supplemented his income with stage work and "uncompetitive fights" where he took it easy with his opponents over 100 years ago. Mind you one opponent hit him too hard and riled him and Johnson knocked his front teeth out in retaliation.

Edited by btb

Just now, kiddy said:

& so ends Steady Eddies plan for Ritson to take on Taylor. Stopped in the 10th.

Found out when going for European title & now found out when moving on an international stage.

Ref should be shot. Disgusting.