Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

49 minutes ago, dundeefc1783 said:
2 hours ago, Detournement said:
@kiddy
He would be crazy not to go for a defence in Scotland (if Sturgeon allows it). Make some money and raise his profile in the UK. Go up to 147 next year.

Think he possibly has a mandatory against Catterall unless he vacates and moves up

Catterall, you are joking. That he's ranked by the WBO, above Prograis, Zepeda, Pedraza & Postol, having fought nobody of note, whilst Taylor has just rinsed the whole division; says more about promoter manipulation than anything else.

That Lopez & Crawford are both WBO Champions, in the adjacent divisions, would tend to suggest that these Super Fights are the more likely possibility, & where the major money, exposure & notoriety, would be. 

27 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
45 minutes ago, GiGi said:
If Taylor was a Hearn fighter he'd be a household name no doubt. But he's chased the best consecutively to mop up his entire division in a couple of years and there's no way Hearn would have risked those fights ahead of easy money. That's the difference.

This, Fury wasn't a household name when he fought klitscho. He was fighting for a title and linear championship yet build up and marketing was very underwhelming

Aye he became a household name due to sexism and homophobia.

There may be hope for Taylor yet.

25 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
42 minutes ago, GiGi said:
If Taylor was a Hearn fighter he'd be a household name no doubt. But he's chased the best consecutively to mop up his entire division in a couple of years and there's no way Hearn would have risked those fights ahead of easy money. That's the difference.

This, Fury wasn't a household name when he fought klitscho. He was fighting for a title and linear championship yet build up and marketing was very underwhelming

I suppose that's why Taylor signed with Top Rank, with the major money/fights taking place in the States.

I think the time for fights at Easter Road/the Castle have gone. Crawford's not the 'unknown' who fought Burns at the Hydro anymore & Lopez is a superstar.

52 minutes ago, kiddy said:

I suppose that's why Taylor signed with Top Rank, with the major money/fights taking place in the States.

I think the time for fights at Easter Road/the Castle have gone. Crawford's not the 'unknown' who fought Burns at the Hydro anymore & Lopez is a superstar.

He has a mandatory against Catterall next, which would be the likely fight at the castle/easter road. 

I actually had Taylor winning a bit wider 115-111. Thought it was a very good performance but he made it a bit closer than it had to be with coasting the last couple. 

Catterall, you are joking. That he's ranked by the WBO, above Prograis, Zepeda, Pedraza & Postol, having fought nobody of note, whilst Taylor has just rinsed the whole division; says more about promoter manipulation than anything else.
That Lopez & Crawford are both WBO Champions, in the adjacent divisions, would tend to suggest that these Super Fights are the more likely possibility, & where the major money, exposure & notoriety, would be. 
Believe he stepped aside from a mandatory to allow that fight to happen so imagine he was given some reassurances that's he next

Thoughts on Davison as a trainer? Not sure McGuigan would have had him try to just survive the last few rounds when he was ahead. Probably closer than it had to be. Feel like Taylor could have bossed the last couple of rounds if he wanted to.

32 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Thoughts on Davison as a trainer? Not sure McGuigan would have had him try to just survive the last few rounds when he was ahead. Probably closer than it had to be. Feel like Taylor could have bossed the last couple of rounds if he wanted to.

Did he not do the same thing versus Prograis?

Just watched the fight, scored it 115-111 for Taylor. Superb performance from Taylor, weathered Ramirez early work and delivered superb, accurate punches. Agree with whoever said the red helped Ramirez with the counts. The second knockdown in particular, if Baylis hadn’t given him the extra seconds wiping his gloves and having a look at him I think Taylor would’ve stopped him.

On 23/05/2021 at 14:27, JMDP said:

He has a mandatory against Catterall next, which would be the likely fight at the castle/easter road. 

I actually had Taylor winning a bit wider 115-111. Thought it was a very good performance but he made it a bit closer than it had to be with coasting the last couple. 

I was away at the weekend so didn't see it live but I've just scored it and I had Taylor winning by 4 too but there were a few close rounds. However Taylor definitely dominated the middle rounds and thought he was just that bit better.  Ramirez was game though.

Given what was at stake I think coasting against a shot Ramirez in the last few rounds was understandable even if it meant giving up the points.

I thought it was interesting that pre match a lot of the pundits had Ramirez has the more powerful and formidable banger but it never looked that way to me.  Even in the rounds where Ramirez caught Taylor with good shots, Taylor didn't really look in trouble.  On the other hand Ramirez was knocked down twice and probably had the ref to thank for going the distance.

I see Eddie's got Ritson a final eliminator for Taylor's IBF belt.
Added to Catterall's WBO mandatory challenge that'd be the Easter Road & Castle fights covered then.
Zepeda's ranked 1 by the WBC & Puello?, the WBA.

Easter Road - Crawford. He’d happily come over here.

Edinburgh Castle - a fun one, like Pacq, Prograis or one of Ritson/Catterall.

Vegas - another fun one like Mikey Garcia or Tank. Finish career off with Lopez, probably Vegas. 

Really don’t think he needs to do more than a handful more fights. No tattoo again this year so no seats up at Edinburgh castle this summer so that’s maybe one for next year. 

There's no fear any of the big fights will happen in Edinburgh. It would take filling Murrayfield, for your Crawfords/Lopez/Spence's of this world to come over & Taylor just doesn't have that sort of pulling power, yet.
Cattrall or Ritson is your max for ER or the Castle.