Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

26 minutes ago, kiddy said:

Why his bout is on ficht.tv?

Fite.tv? No idea why a bigger channel hasn’t picked it up but I assume this Fite channel has paid an amount of money that no other broadcaster is willing to pay. I am surprised that it’s not going to be on a mainstream UK channel but it’s possible that while Taylor is a big deal to us as a Scot, he’s not the draw that some would assume, even in a unification fight. 

The fight is on ESPN in America/Mexico, which I imagine will get fairly decent viewing figures. The undercard is absolutely trash though, only three fights before the main event and one of them is still waiting for an opponent. I don’t know what sort of following Josè Ramirez has but you would think a unification at super-lightweight would pull in a majority of casual boxing fans. 

It is also possible that Taylor’s promotion has tried to sell the broadcast rights as PPV only in the UK, and BT and Sky have looked at the numbers and ran a mile, leaving this Fite.tv outfit to pick it up. That’s not me speaking as any type of authority on TV deals, but surmising that Top Rank have possibly over estimated the pull that a 4am Josh Taylor fight has.   

9 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

4600AABE-17E0-4C44-80EC-2A28AA97CF56.thumb.jpeg.8c0fcb208da226649fed522ead149ffb.jpeg

Didn’t realise the government had told Josh Taylor he can start being an absolute brain donor again.

Hope he wins this upcoming fight solely down to the fact that he’s Scottish and a very talented boxer, but my god does he make it hard to like him. He had went a few weeks without posting anything stupid, and I thought maybe he had turned a corner or someone at his promotion had  a word in his ear, but obviously not. It’s strange because when I watch him being interviewed about boxing he’s largely sensible and comes across pretty well, then half an hour later I see his Twitter or Instagram and realise that the boy is absolutely brainless. 

Think it's time you stopped reading his social media pages. yXAbrOQ.png.7c9c1ba64b4e9ee7b420b372ab503bc9.png

Some KO from Buatsi, awful mismatch tho. Yafai-Cunningham was a topper of a fight though. 

Great patter in the Charr-Lovejoy fight as well with Charr's celebratory cartwheel being one of the worst celebrations I've ever seen.  

9 hours ago, Cowshed Chris said:

He doesn't want the fight, he's just after the step aside money.

Exactly.   Problem is I don't think Fury especially will want him to get anything after being slandered.  Will Fury vacate and if he does will AJ be happy if the fight isn't for all the marbles?  What a clusterfuck of a situation and Chisora called it spot on, Hearn has led the fans up the garden path. 

9 hours ago, jaggyness said:

Josh Taylor on radio 5 tonight. Clearly someone had a word with him before he went on air. Even spoke about putting a mask on before going indoors whilst in LA.

It'll be a disgrace if that fight isn't picked up by a UK broadcaster before the weekend.   I'm still hopeful.

2 hours ago, LargsTON said:

It'll be a disgrace if that fight isn't picked up by a UK broadcaster before the weekend.   I'm still hopeful.

It won't make any money on PPV and no one is going to show it for free to the ten thousand viewers that will stay up to watch. 

If you want to see it then just pay Fight TV or whatever they are called. 

Edited by Detournement

19 minutes ago, Detournement said:

It won't make any money on PPV and no one is going to show it for free to the ten thousand viewers that will stay up to watch. 

If you want to see it then just pay Fight TV or whatever they are called. 

Oh I will don't worry about that.   

The fight will go ahead, IMO. If the ruling had been made prior to the date and site announcement I would have one billion percent said it was off, but considering how high value these site contracts are - and that I believe the Saudi’s are purpose building a stadium for this - they’ll give Wilder whatever he wants in step aside money to ensure it goes ahead. Wilder can basically go full Kevin Kyle with Ally McCoist here.

It’s probably the biggest fight that can be made in boxing right now, and I do really, really want to see it. In saying that though, if it has to be put on the backburner, as long as the result of that is Fury v Wilder III (and the other two were great fun) and Joshua v Usyk, with the winner of each fighting for all the gold, then I’d certainly be happy enough with that, especially if one of the three of those hypothetical fights are in the UK and everything is back to normal.

Hard to see how anyone pays what Wilder will want to step aside. He'll see the money for the unification fight and demand something silly to sit on his arse and not lose badly to Fury again and I can't see even he Saudis stumping up $30M or other such ludicrous sum to make that happen. 

Makes it likely Fury will have to go through him again and Joshua to fight Usyk in the mean time I think.

11 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Hard to see how anyone pays what Wilder will want to step aside. He'll see the money for the unification fight and demand something silly to sit on his arse and not lose badly to Fury again and I can't see even he Saudis stumping up $30M or other such ludicrous sum to make that happen. 

Makes it likely Fury will have to go through him again and Joshua to fight Usyk in the mean time I think.

Surely the money would have to come from Arum and Top Rank anyway? It's really there issue all of this. There's zero chance of that happening anyway they've done f**k all really to get this fight in the first place has all been Uncle Eddie.

9 minutes ago, Rasputin said:

In his latest Instagram video (training in what appears to be a red velvet ring in a forest), Wilder looks like a different animal. 

He won't have miraculously learned to box in a couple of months. A waste of everybody's time really this Wilder/Fury fight but once again the politics in boxing ruins the sport.

Used to watch every and any boxing crmard or event I could , with all the politics involved and the some of the judging I've witnessed over the years I've fell away from watching most cards and tunes into most ufc events. Imo a lot of people have done the same in recent times.