Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

How have you got that score?
Punches landed are the only things that score in boxing. Canelo was comfortably ahead.
Every judge had Canelo ahead at the stoppage.
cards.png.bab044704e38c6c0155ed9ea773b4ee9.png

Yeah, no, as alluded to above, that’s actually not true at all. Punches landed are not the only metric that score in professional boxing and that’s why just presenting punch stats is either a minor show of ignorance, or bad faith (depending on the persons knowledge) when discussing boxing scoring. Aggressiveness, defence and ‘ring generalship’ are also a huge part of the scoring criteria for judging a round.

From my perspective, BJS was controlling the pace of large parts of the fight with his footwork and jab, and also making Canelo miss wildly, and whether with hindsight you believe that Canelo may have been fighting within himself waiting for an opportunity (or ‘working out’ his opponent), or that BJS wasn’t allowing him to get in range to consistently land, it’s irrelevant, Saunders was potentially winning those rounds, or at the very least was very, very competitive in them all (and I preferred his work, hence my scoring) until that screamer of a right landed, which, to add further to my point, was only available because Saunders reached in being overly aggressive because he’d been having success. Once that landed and caved in Saunders face, the rest of the round was obviously all Canelo.

To use the old cliche, you’d have to knock Canelo out to get a draw from the judges in the States in one of his fights just now. That’s not to disparage his ability, he’s an utterly exceptional boxer, but if you think his opponents are ever going to get a fair shake of a judges decision whilst he remains the biggest PPV star on the planet, you’re absolutely fucking mental.

I didn't see the fight, have watched the highlights just now, so can't comment on it directly but to say that punches landed are the only metric for scoring a fight is crazy talk.  The old tales about guys like Willie Pep or Pernell Whitaker winning rounds without throwing a punch are probably apocryphal but punches landing is merely one aspect of scoring.

41 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I didn't see the fight, have watched the highlights just now, so can't comment on it directly but to say that punches landed are the only metric for scoring a fight is crazy talk.  The old tales about guys like Willie Pep or Pernell Whitaker winning rounds without throwing a punch are probably apocryphal but punches landing is merely one aspect of scoring.

Aye but you definitely don't win them by missing loads of punches or by doing a backwards 400m every round. 

Canelo landed more shots, almost all the significant punches and was the aggressor. Saunders fought for about two and a half rounds and his engine went. 

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Even the Youtube video from that judge is 4 different ways of saying only punches that land matter.

• Hard punches that land clean are best for the puncher
  • Punch which land clean are good for the puncher
  • Blocked punches are not as good for the puncher
  • Defense counts as far as it stops the opponent landing a punch

Weirdo suggestions like "setting the pace" mean literally nothing and are impossible to quantify outside of how many punches are thrown.

5 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Even the Youtube video from that judge is 4 different ways of saying only punches that land matter.

• Hard punches that land clean are best for the puncher
  • Punch which land clean are good for the puncher
  • Blocked punches are not as good for the puncher
  • Defense counts as far as it stops the opponent landing a punch

Weirdo suggestions like "setting the pace" mean literally nothing and are impossible to quantify outside of how many punches are thrown.

16 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

You can just admit you got it wrong.

I stand by my statement that punches landed are the only thing that score in boxing.

Not all punches are equal. The power and effectiveness of each punch is determined by the judge.

You can read a senior boxing judge plainly stating all this here.

https://www.premierboxingchampions.com/news/veteran-boxing-judge-steve-weisfeld-offers-tips-how-score-fight

23 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

I stand by my statement that punches landed are the only thing that score in boxing.

16 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

You can just admit you got it wrong.

Managed to poke myself in the eye on Saturday just putting my coat on and was buckled on the ground for 20 minutes. 

When Canelo landed that uppercut and raised his hands I thought it was because he was glad to have landed a decent shot after BJ Saunders (as that commentator liked calling him) had been the better man for a couple of rounds. Instead it was because he’d felt the face cave in. 

In the end Canelo showed his class and his power. It was a similar moment to punched like Povetkin stopping Whyte first time or when Usyk stopped Bellew (not the knockout but the uppercut right on the bell the previous round). Drained from the concentration involved in being in with someone so dangerous they eventually made we moves on autopilot that the opponent saw coming. 

6 hours ago, Boostin' Kev said:

Didn't realise Saunders told his corner he couldn't see at the end of the 8th so it was a quit.  Not a good look for him after his comments about Brook and Dubois quitting.

I've got a feeling the idiots that criticised Brook and Dubois will be more forgiving to Saunders. 

Plenty of people have fought on with closed over eyes. Eduard Gudkneckt paid a terrible price for it others have survived. 
BJS deserves whatever is coming his way because of his comments about Dubois. Eye or no eye I think his arse collapsed in the 8th when Canelo was getting the crowd going and clearly wanted to hurt him.
Didn't realise Saunders told his corner he couldn't see at the end of the 8th so it was a quit.  Not a good look for him after his comments about Brook and Dubois quitting.
When the eye socket is completely fucked it's a shocking take to cry 'quitter'. Seriously, lads, have a word.

The fact that saunders did the same previously just proves he's a bell-end.

4600AABE-17E0-4C44-80EC-2A28AA97CF56.thumb.jpeg.8c0fcb208da226649fed522ead149ffb.jpeg

Didn’t realise the government had told Josh Taylor he can start being an absolute brain donor again.

Hope he wins this upcoming fight solely down to the fact that he’s Scottish and a very talented boxer, but my god does he make it hard to like him. He had went a few weeks without posting anything stupid, and I thought maybe he had turned a corner or someone at his promotion had  a word in his ear, but obviously not. It’s strange because when I watch him being interviewed about boxing he’s largely sensible and comes across pretty well, then half an hour later I see his Twitter or Instagram and realise that the boy is absolutely brainless. 

4600AABE-17E0-4C44-80EC-2A28AA97CF56.thumb.jpeg.8c0fcb208da226649fed522ead149ffb.jpeg

Didn’t realise the government had told Josh Taylor he can start being an absolute brain donor again.

Hope he wins this upcoming fight solely down to the fact that he’s Scottish and a very talented boxer, but my god does he make it hard to like him. He had went a few weeks without posting anything stupid, and I thought maybe he had turned a corner or someone at his promotion had  a word in his ear, but obviously not. It’s strange because when I watch him being interviewed about boxing he’s largely sensible and comes across pretty well, then half an hour later I see his Twitter or Instagram and realise that the boy is absolutely brainless. 
Why his bout is on ficht.tv?