Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

16 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

Saunders will get criticised for “quitting” because sadly boxing is still absolutely stuffed with toxic masculinity bullshit (which BJS enflames with his fucking nonsense sadly), but his corner were absolutely right to pull him. He has not only the rest of his career to think of, but the rest of his life. Going out against a puncher as big as Canelo with one eye would have been a suicide job. Great fight though. Would love to see them go again.

Always good to read the posts of the Twitter warriors after a fighter retires with an eye injury, as if they would have the bottle to stand in front of a guy like Canelo for even 10 seconds fully fit. It would have been nothing but sheer stupidity to stand in front of Canelo with one good eye and the other one in pieces, Canelo knew it was over once he seen the damage he had caused and if Saunders had came back out he would have got pasted about the ring for every remaining second of the fight until he was either lying unconscious or the referee stepped in. 

Not really sure how folk could see that as level never mind Saunders ahead. Canelo played with him for a while and was showboating during rounds. Fair play to BJ, he at least went in and went ahead. Too high a level for him though. 

Hopefully he learns from it and it humbles him to have been in with such company. 

1 hour ago, IrishBhoy said:

Always good to read the posts of the Twitter warriors after a fighter retires with an eye injury, as if they would have the bottle to stand in front of a guy like Canelo for even 10 seconds fully fit. It would have been nothing but sheer stupidity to stand in front of Canelo with one good eye and the other one in pieces, Canelo knew it was over once he seen the damage he had caused and if Saunders had came back out he would have got pasted about the ring for every remaining second of the fight until he was either lying unconscious or the referee stepped in. 

It's only in movies like Rocky where boxers fight on with one eye . Sensible decision by his corner only one they could take 

1 hour ago, stanton said:

It's only in movies like Rocky where boxers fight on with one eye . Sensible decision by his corner only one they could take 

Plenty of people have fought on with closed over eyes. Eduard Gudkneckt paid a terrible price for it others have survived. 

BJS deserves whatever is coming his way because of his comments about Dubois. Eye or no eye I think his arse collapsed in the 8th when Canelo was getting the crowd going and clearly wanted to hurt him.

4 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

Not really sure how folk could see that as level never mind Saunders ahead. Canelo played with him for a while and was showboating during rounds. Fair play to BJ, he at least went in and went ahead. Too high a level for him though. 

Hopefully he learns from it and it humbles him to have been in with such company. 

But scoring goes round by round. You can have the impression that Canelo has more in the tank and is just biding his time, this happens a lot in Canelo fights, but he can be losing those rounds. 

BJS could have swept the first 5 and if you asked me at the beginning of 6 who would win the fight id have still probably said Canelo but on a round by roubd basis, its easy to have BJS well in that fight or ahead

100% agree. If they sent him back out there against someone as clinical as Canelo it could have resulted in some serious long term damage never mind career ending. Protect your man and live to fight another day is what any good corner should be doing.

10 hours ago, J_Stewart said:

Oh my, H_B...it’s just so so sad to see.

I had it 5-3 Saunders at the stoppage. Gave Canelo 2, 3 and 8. Saunders was making him miss, landing the jab consistently and dictating the pace of the fight. That right uppercut changed the entire course of it though, you could see Saunders eye begin to swell seconds after it landed. Canelo can be outboxed for rounds at a time - likes of Khan, Kovalev, Golovkin, etc have shown that - but he is not only a great boxer, but an absolute bull of a man. At this weight, there isn’t a man alive that’ll knock him out, and eventually he’s probably going to catch you.

Saunders will get criticised for “quitting” because sadly boxing is still absolutely stuffed with toxic masculinity bullshit (which BJS enflames with his fucking nonsense sadly), but his corner were absolutely right to pull him. He has not only the rest of his career to think of, but the rest of his life. Going out against a puncher as big as Canelo with one eye would have been a suicide job. Great fight though. Would love to see them go again.

How have you got that score?

Punches landed are the only things that score in boxing. Canelo was comfortably ahead.

Every judge had Canelo ahead at the stoppage.

cards.png.bab044704e38c6c0155ed9ea773b4ee9.png

4 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

But scoring goes round by round. You can have the impression that Canelo has more in the tank and is just biding his time, this happens a lot in Canelo fights, but he can be losing those rounds. 

BJS could have swept the first 5 and if you asked me at the beginning of 6 who would win the fight id have still probably said Canelo but on a round by roubd basis, its easy to have BJS well in that fight or ahead

Was BJS ahead on xG?

Edited by Jim McLean's Ghost

2 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Punches landed are the only things that score in boxing. Canelo was comfortably ahead.

cards.png.bab044704e38c6c0155ed9ea773b4ee9.png

Judges scoring Canelo fights have got a little bit of previous, tbqh. 

Just now, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

You can just admit you got it wrong.

Na, quite comfortable with saying Saunders could quite credibly have been ahead on an objective scorecard tbh. And if the best anyone has to offer is punch stats and the cards of official judges to tell me i'm wrong then I am going to assume a fairly low level of boxing knowledge from anyone who would cite either of those things. Once again, I have no issue with anyone having Canelo ahead, I have an issue with someone saying Saunders couldn't conceivably have been ahead, Because its shite. 

38 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Na, quite comfortable with saying Saunders could quite credibly have been ahead on an objective scorecard tbh. And if the best anyone has to offer is punch stats and the cards of official judges to tell me i'm wrong then I am going to assume a fairly low level of boxing knowledge from anyone who would cite either of those things. Once again, I have no issue with anyone having Canelo ahead, I have an issue with someone saying Saunders couldn't conceivably have been ahead, Because its shite. 

Oh dear.

"No statistics and professional experts will get me to change my mind!" :1eye

4 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Oh dear.

"No statistics and professional experts will get me to change my mind!" :1eye

This is one of the wildest takes iv ever seen from anyone claiming to be a boxing fan. You do know that a "professional expert" gave Canelo a draw against Mayweather don't you? Or that absolutely loads of folk disagreed with those "experts" who gave him cards v Lara and Golovkin? 

Most boxing fans that I know pay absolutely no regard to compubox and the like. 

I have absolutely no idea how anyone is struggling with the notion that Saunders could potentially have been ahead on what is a completely subjective scoring basis. 

6 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

This is one of the wildest takes iv ever seen from anyone claiming to be a boxing fan. You do know that a "professional expert" gave Canelo a draw against Mayweather don't you? Or that absolutely loads of folk disagreed with those "experts" who gave him cards v Lara and Golovkin? 

Most boxing fans that I know pay absolutely no regard to compubox and the like. 

I have absolutely no idea how anyone is struggling with the notion that Saunders could potentially have been ahead on what is a completely subjective scoring basis. 

When all the judges are agreeing, only 1 round was scored in a 2-1 split you should, I think you need to let your judging conspiracy go and accept they scored the fight fairly.

I'm struggling with the notion Saunders could be ahead because he barely landed a punch in most rounds.

Edited by Jim McLean's Ghost

1 minute ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

When all the judges are agreeing, only 1 round was scored in a 2-1 split you should, I think you need to let your judging conspiracy go and accept they scored the fight fairly.

I'm struggling with the notion Saunders could be ahead because he barely landed a punch in most rounds.

Judges scorecards are often shite, (with Saul Alvarez a frequent flier over the years on this) and they should not be held up as some bulletproof representation of how a fight was going. Indeed, I have yet to meet the boxing fan who doesn't frequently complain about judges cards. 

So no conspiracy then, just me disagreeing with Detournement about whether or not it was credible to have Saunders ahead, and then pointing out that punchstats are shite, and generally paid no heed whatsoever. 

Just now, Bairnardo said:

Judges scorecards are often shite, (with Saul Alvarez a frequent flier over the years on this) and they should not be held up as some bulletproof representation of how a fight was going. Indeed, I have yet to meet the boxing fan who doesn't frequently complain about judges cards. 

So no conspiracy then, just me disagreeing with Detournement about whether or not it was credible to have Saunders ahead, and then pointing out that punchstats are shite, and generally paid no heed whatsoever. 

So you took a stance that Saunders won the fight because you are in a feud with another poster. This is getting even more pathetic.

There is nothing to back up a view that Saunders was winning the fight or that it was even particularly close.

1 minute ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

So you took a stance that Saunders won the fight because you are in a feud with another poster. This is getting even more pathetic.

There is nothing to back up a view that Saunders was winning the fight or that it was even particularly close.

😂😂😂😂 Away to your bed you absolute slaver. "A feud with another poster"

4 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

I'm not sure you know how judging works, brother.

20210509_230715.jpg.024671ee59a010202881ecf5ebcec4c0.jpg

If you read the actual rules, you'll see even further guidance on exactly what should be followed. 

As @Bairnardo said as well, Canelo fights have a lot of previous. The Mayweather card, both Golovkin fights and the Lara decision being the most obvious examples. A couple of the Trout cards were a bit off too I reckon.

I think it was such a fight that you couldn't really be too aghast at Canelo being a couple ahead all the way to BJS being a couple ahead. 

I had it 4-3 after 7 to BJS as I thought he was effective at moving in and out in specific rounds, used the jab well and Canelo wasn't doing enough with the odd flurry (usually in the last 1:20 of the round) to win them. Also, I thought 2, 3 (Canelo) and 5 (BJS) were the only clear rounds to score until the obvious 8th. 

Good fight though and despite him being a fanny, hope BJS recovers well and can box again. 

Edited by JMDP