Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

14 minutes ago, Rasputin said:

Half way in and Saunders starting to really stick it on Canelo now. Canelo swiping fresh air and Saunders cracking him with some decent shots. Worth getting up at this stupid time for. 

Weird ending there as I had the sound off but Canelo had started to pour it on in the 8th there which answered a few of the questions I had in the previous rounds.

Through 3 I was thinking Canelo can do what he wants here, but it changed int he 4th. Saunders was pulling his punches a bit and fighting scared but in 4 he started to show less respect, and stay range long enough to get his own power shot off, Canelo suddenly stopped landing much of note. The respect thing was typified with the glorious straight left on the break in the 5th. 

With Canelo though, he is so relaxed in there, as it turned out, Saunders was probably spending too much for too little return, he didnt take enough out of Canelo in his good rounds and in that 8th, Canelo went back to stalking and landing. BJS had more than I thought he would but Canelo can do that, hes good enough to take his foot off the gas and let the other guy have his spell. A good scrap that I enjoyed, and Canelo looking ever so slightly less invincible maybe, but he is a master of winning the war even if he ships a battle or two. 

Edited by Bairnardo

1 minute ago, Detournement said:

Numerically challenged cokeheads on Twitter claiming Saunders was winning. 

Saunders maw wouldn't given him 5 rounds!

I definitely gave Canelo 2 and 3. I gave BJS 4 and 5, and I think 6. I cant actually remember 7 I got a bit distracted and 1 was a coin toss, I probably edged it to Canelo. Its not a stretch to have BJS level or slightly ahead though. Its also not a stretch to have Canelo ahead. 

14 hours ago, Detournement said:

Really hoping BJS gets Khan'd by Canelo. 

Incredible talent but his entire career has been a piss take. 

14 minutes ago, JMDP said:

The state of H_B.

I had it 4-4 at the time of the stoppage - good decision by Tibbs as his orbital bone looked fucked. 

All of his fight analysis can be replaced with the above i'd say

44 minutes ago, JMDP said:

The state of H_B.

I had it 4-4 at the time of the stoppage - good decision by Tibbs as his orbital bone looked fucked. 

It was 60-30 power punches in favour of Canelo. 

Saunders barely landed outside the 5th round. 

26 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
31 minutes ago, Detournement said:
It was 60-30 power punches in favour of Canelo. 
Saunders barely landed outside the 5th round. 

Im sure you know you cant come with punch stats to argue what way the score cards were.

Punches landing are what counts. If you ignore that then you are in the realms of the morons who scored it for Pacquiao over Mayweather.

Saunders was in reverse gear the entire fight. If you are fighting on the back foot you need to win the majority of the exchanges. The only round where he did that was the 5th.

1 is a toss up because nothing happened. 4 was close but since it was the first round where Saunders showed any aggression it looked in his favour. 5 Saunders won the exchanges. The rest are Canelo rounds. 

Edited by Detournement

Oh my, H_B...it’s just so so sad to see.

I had it 5-3 Saunders at the stoppage. Gave Canelo 2, 3 and 8. Saunders was making him miss, landing the jab consistently and dictating the pace of the fight. That right uppercut changed the entire course of it though, you could see Saunders eye begin to swell seconds after it landed. Canelo can be outboxed for rounds at a time - likes of Khan, Kovalev, Golovkin, etc have shown that - but he is not only a great boxer, but an absolute bull of a man. At this weight, there isn’t a man alive that’ll knock him out, and eventually he’s probably going to catch you.

Saunders will get criticised for “quitting” because sadly boxing is still absolutely stuffed with toxic masculinity bullshit (which BJS enflames with his fucking nonsense sadly), but his corner were absolutely right to pull him. He has not only the rest of his career to think of, but the rest of his life. Going out against a puncher as big as Canelo with one eye would have been a suicide job. Great fight though. Would love to see them go again.

Saunders did well to last to the 8th better than I thought he would do and it takes courage to go in the ring against Canelo, some fighters would try and avoid that. Not a bad performance and he deserves respect for that.

He could fight Canelo 10 times though and he wouldnt win