Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

Taylor v Jonas has been really good so far. Tough to score, but think I have Jonas one ahead after 7. Both landing well, but Jonas doing the slightly cleaner work in the last couple of rounds, IMO.
Didn't see the fight but remember watching Jonas get stopped by Viviane Obenauf a few years ago, and Obenauf coming across as very likeable in the post fight interview.

Googled Obenauf tonight and found out she is alleged to have beaten her 66 yr old Swiss husband to death in December! Definitely wouldn't take a broken pay packet home to her either.

That could've been a draw for me especially with the 10-8. One judge had 116-111 to Parker even being knocked down which makes absolutely no sense. Mental scoring.

55 minutes ago, GiGi said:

That could've been a draw for me especially with the 10-8. One judge had 116-111 to Parker even being knocked down which makes absolutely no sense. Mental scoring.

Didn’t score it round by round but I thought Parker took it by either one or two rounds. If it had been a draw or Chisora by one I could completely understand why. I would love to see judges being held accountable for their scores though. How can someone earn a living from being a boxing official, be around the sport for as long as they have to get to that level where they are trusted to score a fight, and then have Parker winning that by 5 rounds after a 10-8 Chisora? It’s on a near enough weekly basis we have a judges scorecard that flies in the face of what every one else has just watched. 

Taylor/Jonas was brilliant. The matches at the top of the woman's game are brilliant really.

Shields/Marshall hopefully get made for this year. I reckon Marhsall far too powerful for her.

Thought the Parker fight could have gone either way, I had it very similar to the Sky guys. Didn't think Chisora did enough to win any of the last 5 rounds.

One thing is for sure, having watched most of his fights since the Hughie Fury fight, there is no way that Parker is anywhere close to good enough to win a world title again, unless he flukes a shot at a surrendered belt.

Had Taylor by 2 in the girls fight, great fight though - enjoyed it.

Hopefully we get the big fight confirmed in the next week or so, if it drags out any longer you'd need to seriously question the chances of it happening this year.

On 16/12/2020 at 05:58, Bairnardo said:
On 15/12/2020 at 21:50, Boostin said:
Watched Verdejo - Nakatani last night, great fight. 

Mind a few years ago Verdejo was being touted as the next big thing. Without having time to look right now.... Whay happened to him/his career

On 16/12/2020 at 06:36, Boostin' Kev said:

Personal lifestyle outside the ring got in the way including a motorcycle crash. Recently changed trainers to Ismael Salas and for the first half of the fight on Saturday looked like he was starting to reach his potential. 

Guess we can close the book on young Felix. A truly horrible story breaking about him killing his pregnant GF

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Guess we can close the book on young Felix. A truly horrible story breaking about him killing his pregnant GF

Fucking hell the details are horror film stuff. Talk of the FBI getting involved and possible death penalty.

2 hours ago, quickoverayard said:

Canelo v BJS fight is off

Hope not, I want to see if BJS is as good as I think he is. 

Canelo v BJS fight is off
As someone who just enjoys watching boxing, I don't have any background in it, why can the governing bodies not standardise ring size, for title bouts anyway? One less thing for the likes of Canelo and Saunders to be cnuts about!

As someone who just enjoys watching boxing, I don't have any background in it, why can the governing bodies not standardise ring size, for title bouts anyway? One less thing for the likes of Canelo and Saunders to be cnuts about!
Theres an approved range. Just like football pitches. Likewise gloves which have an approved minimun also regularly negotiated.

This fight was never, ever in danger. Nonsense from BJS

Just found out that the boxing subscription site DAZN which is covering the Canelo fight is only £1.99 a month. It can be cancelled at any time. Wonder if it will stay the same price when Eddie Hearn moves his fighters over to them when his Sky deal finishes.