Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

Benn doesn’t need to box and could just go back and live on his dad’s money, so maybe he can be a bit bolder in terms of future opponents. Definite shades of his old man with the way he throws that straight right hand. 

14 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

Benn doesn’t need to box and could just go back and live on his dad’s money, so maybe he can be a bit bolder in terms of future opponents. Definite shades of his old man with the way he throws that straight right hand. 

Bolder?  I don't think anyone can question his ambition.   There were plenty writing him off after his draw with Peinar,  including some on here.  He's the most improved fighter in the country along with Okolie.  I'd back him to beat the likes of Khan, Brook or Porter tomorrow and with a degree of comfort at that.   He's THE hot ticket in British boxing right now. 

15 minutes ago, LargsTON said:

Bolder?  I don't think anyone can question his ambition.   There were plenty writing him off after his draw with Peinar,  including some on here.  He's the most improved fighter in the country along with Okolie.  I'd back him to beat the likes of Khan, Brook or Porter tomorrow and with a degree of comfort at that.   He's THE hot ticket in British boxing right now. 

Don't think its fair to bracket Porter with those two tbf. Benn would probably beat Khan or Brook since both are beyond done, but Porter is a totally differnt beast to those two.  

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Don't think its fair to bracket Porter with those two tbf. Benn would probably beat Khan or Brook since both are beyond done, but Porter is a totally differnt beast to those two.  

I actually meant to say Broner but either way I'd back him to beat either one of them.

39 minutes ago, LargsTON said:

I actually meant to say Broner but either way I'd back him to beat either one of them.

I would certainly give him a shot against Broner. No one beats Shawn Porter easily though and he could be called unlucky in some of his losses. Hes a brute, and murderises an inexperienced fighter IMO

26 minutes ago, JMDP said:

Some wild takes here. At present, Shawn Porter scuds Benn from pillar to post. 

Nonsense.  Granted Benn is still a relative novice in the bigger picture but in no way would he be "scudded from pillar to post."  Benn is going to be a special talent in years to come and other than the likes of Spence and Crawford I think he's capable of giving anyone under that top tier a run for their money already.  Be interesting to see who he fights next cos I can't see the likes of Khan or Brook wanting any of that work at this stage of their careers and Josh Kelly can forget it.    A fight with Florian Marku would be a real crowd pleaser but I can't see that one coming off unfortunately.  

Porter gave Spence a belter of a fight 2 years ago? I'd make him favourite to beat Benn but not by much. I dont see either Brook or Khan taking the fight. Does he go against a hungry opponent in the likes of Marku or Mckinson? Does he beat Avenysyan? Very excited to see what happens next.

7 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I  also think a 1 round blowout is a dangerous place to hang your hat in terms of how good he is tbh. 

It's not just that (although nobody else has dealt with Vargas in that manner that im aware of).  It's everything about the guy.  The massive steps he's made in such a short period of times defies what virtually anyone thought he was capable of.  The way he carries himself.  The hunger, desire, the way he speaks and conducts himself.  Sometimes you can just sense when a fighter has something  special about him.   And we've not even spoke about the Benn DNA yet.  I realise I'm making very bold predictions but I'll "hang my hat" on him taking a major scalp in the next 12-18 months.  

Edited by LargsTON

36 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Iv been buckled watching training footage of Ben Askren recently. For a high level sports competitor, for whom striking should have been part of his training for years, he doesnt seem to be picking boxing up so well emoji23.png

He's known in MMA for being one of the worst strikers in the history of the sport. His game is all wrestling and as far as I'm aware he didn't work on striking as he had no need to use it. The Paul lad will probably spark him but I read an interview with Pantoja (MMA fighter paid to spar with Paul) who said that if Askren protects himself and attacks the body he'll win easily. 

ben askren will win | Sherdog Forums | UFC, MMA & Boxing Discussion

I’ve no problem with fights like this as long as the cards aren’t just full of them and there’re actual boxers on the undercards to gain exposure. To use this one as an example, Prograis is in the co-main, that’s great exposure for an exciting talented American fighter, will raise his profile and hopefully get him some big fights. Equally, if he puts on a show, the people watching this predominantly for Paul, might just become fans and start following the sport with a bit more interest.

As long as you’re not taking it particularly seriously and they don’t end up impacting scheduling for actual proper fights (world champions or contenders seeing dollar signs in smashing the piss out of youtubers) then just ignore it and let them make their money.

Quite enjoyed Andrade-Williams there, had it a wee bit closer than judges did at 116-112 but Andrade clear winner despite all the holding. Infuriating fighter, has all the punches in the book but can also look terrible.

Shock first round KO of Majidov too, looks like he has totally fucked his ankle.

Was shouting at the ref to grow a pair and start taking points for the holding. Even when told to break Andrade wants another 10 seconds before letting go.