Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

That straight left that put Frampton on his arse was a peach. Really like what Herring is doing here, jab is lovely, but any time Frampton tries to come in to close the distance he just throws a little cuffing hook, nothing hugely hurtful, but always just throws Frampton off balance. Really good performance.

That uppercut is a fucking peach

Right decision to get the towel in there, ref shouldn’t have allowed that to continue after the knockdown, even with him making the count he was clearly out on his feet. Said it in the post above, but what a shot that uppercut was. Beautiful.

Frampton just seemed to have no punch resistance. Anything that hit him clean he went down.

Sad end to a great career but that is definitely the end. Herring is not a world class opponent and Frampton couldn't even live with him in the slightest.

There was just nothing Frampton could do there. Too small, not enough power to make Herring respect him but Herring was just stood in front of him either. He was escaping to the side, doing damage in every exchange and looked well in control of the war aswell as pretty much every battle. 

What a tinpot production this is though. Filmed on a Nokia and the master of ceremonies is an embarrassment. Don't think there was much need to throw that mic in front of a fighter who was just knocked out on his feet in his last fight.

Never usually someone to criticise the towel coming in from the corner, but if I was Carl Frampton, with the career he has had and in possibly the final fight of his career, I would be absolutely spewing at that. Not saying it was the wrong decision with regards to Framptons health, but if I was in his shoes I would have liked to have went down swinging. 

He was almost certainly about to get stopped, but he was still throwing back and possibly could have managed to get back to his corner. 

If it was a guy in their 10th or 11th fight in the same position then fine, get the towel in. But for a fighter like Frampton to go out like that, after the career hes had and the heart he has shown previously, it will be very hard to stomach. 

1 minute ago, MONKMAN said:

Great interview there, walking away with dignity. I was down at the Warrington fight in Manchester and it was clear that his time at the top was over then.

He’s an absolute class act as a fighter and a person. He was over for one of Taylors fights when they were both under McGuigan, and he used the gym I train in a couple of times while he was here. One of the times he was in the gym at the same time as a junior boxing class was going on. He had them all up in to the ring for a wee spar with him one by one, giving out advice and pointers to them. That was completely off his own back, no one had asked him to do that. I hope he can retire happy, healthy and very proud of the career he’s had. 

7 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

The fight should have been stopped before the towel came in, he was gone.

I’m not so much against the towel coming in for Framptons health, more that if I had lived the career that he has I would hate for it to be concluded in those circumstances. 

What a tinpot production this is though. Filmed on a Nokia and the master of ceremonies is an embarrassment. Don't think there was much need to throw that mic in front of a fighter who was just knocked out on his feet in his last fight.

The camera was so fucking shaky in the 4th round I thought I was getting seasick. Complete amateur hour.

Said the same to my mates about the interview too. Hate it. Mind Bellew having a microphone put in front of him whilst clearly concussed after being merked by Usyk, was the only time I’ve ever felt sorry for the irritating c**t. People that have just been repeatedly punched to the point they can’t continue absolutely should not be answering questions on live television two minutes later. Disgraceful.

I’m not so much against the towel coming in for Framptons health, more that if I had lived the career that he has I would hate for it to be concluded in those circumstances. 

If I was Frampton and had the career he’s had - all those title fights, all that money - and I’m considering retirement because a) I might not quite have it any more, and more pertinently b) I want to spend more time with my wife and kids, then I’m buying whoever there the towel in a Ferrari as a thank you. He was completely out on his feet, was in no position to defend himself and was only going to be really, really badly knocked out, putting his long-term health and faculties at risk. My only gripe is that the ref didn’t stop it after the uppercut and that the towel didn’t come in the second they realised the ref was letting it continue.

Never usually someone to criticise the towel coming in from the corner, but if I was Carl Frampton, with the career he has had and in possibly the final fight of his career, I would be absolutely spewing at that. Not saying it was the wrong decision with regards to Framptons health, but if I was in his shoes I would have liked to have went down swinging. 

He was almost certainly about to get stopped, but he was still throwing back and possibly could have managed to get back to his corner. 

If it was a guy in their 10th or 11th fight in the same position then fine, get the towel in. But for a fighter like Frampton to go out like that, after the career hes had and the heart he has shown previously, it will be very hard to stomach. 
The towel coming in could save him from serious damage in later life.

He was never going to give in and the ref was slow to act.

At least twice the ref should've stopped it before the towel.

Great interview though. Really genuine and lots of respect.

It allowed him to pay tribute to his former coach as well.

Can see your point, but he was done. The guy’s going to retire with Martinez, Donaire and Santa Cruz wins on his CV, along with a stack of cash (courtesy of a lawsuit with McGuigan). He done more than most dream of so fair play to him. Also retiring on the back of a world title fight, instead of dropping down to fight some british/European level jobbers for a few quid is the way to go.

On another note, I’m glad he’s walking away when he is. I briefly worked with Richie Wenton several years back, who fought Barrera for the world title in Atlantic city. As humble a man as they come but if you ask him about it he won’t say he fought Marco Antonio Barrera, he’ll say he was lucky enough to have shared the ring with him, albeit for 3 rounds. His only career regret was not calling it a day there and then, after being humbled by a legend, but had a couple of more fights chasing the dream and he was ended by Scott Harrison. Suppose it’s a different world 20 years on where Frampton will be set for life, whereas these guys back in the day went on to regular jobs.

21 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

The towel coming in could save him from serious damage in later life.

He was never going to give in and the ref was slow to act.

At least twice the ref should've stopped it before the towel.

I can’t argue with a word you or @J_Stewart are saying, but I also can’t help but feel that if I was in the same position as he was tonight I would be absolutely heart sick for my career to end like that. Boxers risk their life and future health every time they step through the ropes, and 99% of them have the mentality that if they are going to get beat then they go down swinging. 

I suppose you could say that he has probably continued on 2-3 fights longer than he should have, as it was clear he wasn’t getting back to anything near world level for a while now. But a beating like that and the towel coming in on your last fight would be hard to take imo, it’s something he will never be able to rewrite.

In a few weeks time when the emotion has lessened and he’s spending the time with his wife and kids, it won’t be as big a deal. Im possibly over reacting as it’s very raw at the moment and feels like an undeserving way for a fighter like Frampton to end on.  

16 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Can see your point, but he was done. The guy’s going to retire with Martinez, Donaire and Santa Cruz wins on his CV, along with a stack of cash (courtesy of a lawsuit with McGuigan). He done more than most dream of so fair play to him. Also retiring on the back of a world title fight, instead of dropping down to fight some british/European level jobbers for a few quid is the way to go.

Aye, when you look at the career then he’s got nothing to prove to anyone and his heart can never be questioned. It’s the boxers pride that has taken a hit tonight, and I feel bad for him that he won’t get the chance to avenge that, even though he is completely right to hang the gloves up. 

Im not too clued up on the history of Northern Irish fighters, but is there an argument to be made for him being their most successful boxer ever?

3 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Great interview though. Really genuine and lots of respect.

It allowed him to pay tribute to his former coach as well.

He will have plenty of time to give interviews when he has recovered and taken stock. He probably won't even remember much of what he said.

Boxers should never be interviewed two minutes after a bad knockout period, it's just crass.

Edited by Neilly

1 hour ago, Neilly said:

He will have plenty of time to give interviews when he has recovered and taken stock. He probably won't even remember much of what he said.

Boxers should never be interviewed two minutes after a bad knockout period, it's just crass.

That’s very true, I’m sure Channel 5 were hoping for him to burst in to tears or break down with emotion during the interview. It’s testament to the character of Frampton that he called out the interviewer and asked why he wasn’t speaking with the winner.