Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

I actually think Whyte is still showing small signs of improvement even at 34.   I think a fight with Wilder would be a great watch while it lasted tho I wouldn't expect it to be a fight the latter would take.   Covid may well have had an effect on Povetkin but I doubt very much he'd have made it through a full camp if it was even marginally impacting on his lung capacity as suggested.   I think he simply aged overnight, as we've seen happen many times before.

I thought Whyte started the first fight very well but just got taken out by a peach of a shot after making a mistake. 

He was excellent last night, still windmills a bit but like was said above, is still showing signs of improvement. 

Povetkin did look a bit fucked, don't know if it was just age though. His footwork was really sloppy from the start. Hope he calls it a day now. 

Decent card actually, the Cheeseman fight was excellent and the Wardley stoppage bizarre. Molina looked like he wanted out and seemed like there was a clear leg sweep too. 

Edited by JMDP

16 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Is whyte an arsehole?

Seems like a reasonable guy from what I've heard, so fair play.

He's limited as a boxer, but this at least gets him another huge pay day.

I think Whyte was a bit of an arsehole a few years back, certainly around the time he fought Joshua where he gave off the vibe of some London gangster who didn’t really care too much where boxing took him. Looking at the interviews since even before the first Povetkin fight, I think he has matured massively. He comes across like he now understands the opportunities that his boxing career has created for him and also for his family.

The interview he done the other day on the Matchroom YouTube channel, talking about being the first black man to be represented on British currency, shows that he’s got a different perspective on what his legacy can be if he continues to put the hard work in. In that interview he spoke about the pride his family have for him, and how having his face on the currency is something that will outlive his boxing career and never be taken away from him. 

To be honest the thing I took from that interview the most is that it’s taken until the year 2021 for a man of colour to appear on British currency, and not even on a legitimately minted UK coin or note, a one off Gibraltar coin that will never be in general circulation. Britain isn’t racist at all though, no siree. Everything is better when we have a nice white, inbred, German pensioners face on our coins and notes, a woman with an estimated worth that runs into the billions and who allowed 330 million pounds of tax payers money to renovate her palace in Central London. Slightly off topic I know, but Britain and its traditions make me genuinely seethe. 

Edited by IrishBhoy

Josh Taylor doing Josh Taylor things on Twitter again this morning.

Makes a post criticising the media and says that they should be held accountable for what they publish, gets called out by a guy asking if he should also be held accountable for using his public platform to spread lies about the vaccine, makes another post saying that he’s never spread any lies about the vaccine, then gets called out by someone else who asks why he posted a picture on his Instagram stating that the vaccine was ‘guaranteed to make you sterile’...and then deletes his posts. The guy is thick as shite. 

On 29/03/2021 at 11:53, IrishBhoy said:

Josh Taylor doing Josh Taylor things on Twitter again this morning.

Makes a post criticising the media and says that they should be held accountable for what they publish, gets called out by a guy asking if he should also be held accountable for using his public platform to spread lies about the vaccine, makes another post saying that he’s never spread any lies about the vaccine, then gets called out by someone else who asks why he posted a picture on his Instagram stating that the vaccine was ‘guaranteed to make you sterile’...and then deletes his posts. The guy is thick as shite. 

Alex Arthur doesn't seem much better. His venture into the political world has seen him take an utter mullering.

On 28/03/2021 at 11:24, Abby Normal said:

Would like to see Wilder back on the scene. Even if it’s just to spark out some old duffer with a heart condition. 

Big Deontay appearing on an American sports show to promote his fight with Fury, being asked to punch their mascot, and subsequently breaking the boys jaw through his padded helmet is a top 5 moment in television history, and no one can tell me otherwise.

On 01/04/2021 at 08:38, J_Stewart said:

Big Deontay appearing on an American sports show to promote his fight with Fury, being asked to punch their mascot, and subsequently breaking the boys jaw through his padded helmet is a top 5 moment in television history, and no one can tell me otherwise.

Cheers. Hadn’t seen that. What a hit! Mascot wasn’t getting up from that one.

In the early days of Sammy the Tammy, one of the players’ ritual was to give Sammy a gentle dig in the stomach as he ran past. One day, for a laugh, he decided to hit Sammy a bit harder. He wasn’t to know that day that the regular “Sammy” couldn’t make it so his daughter had stepped in. 

Frampton just starting on Channel 5. Will admit to having never heard of his opponent and not kept up with the the build up to the fight, but the commentators have just said Frampton has stated he will retire if he gets beat so he must be confident. 

15 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

Frampton just starting on Channel 5. Will admit to having never heard of his opponent and not kept up with the the build up to the fight, but the commentators have just said Frampton has stated he will retire if he gets beat so he must be confident. 

Hope Frampton has dusted down the golf clubs, if he is true to his word he will be having a lot of free time in the coming months.