Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

“Lions in the camp”

Nope [emoji23]

Yarde and his whole team seem like arrogant wankers, so very glad he lost. Arthur’s jab was outstanding and well deserved result, IMO.

Frank will be absolutely inconsolable with tonight and last weeks’ results [emoji23]

Arthur v Yarde was shite. Two weeks in a row we’ve seen the boxer with more amateur experience and a proper trainer win the fight only using a jab against a boxer with little amateur experience and a cheerleader for a trainer. Turns out ability and experience can beat hype, who knew?!
Spence jr v Garcia was decent. Spence
looking like he’s never been out the ring / Garcia starting far too slow. Garcia came back in towards the end but never really hurt Spence.

Yarde is absolute w****r delighted to see him get his dinner served last night. So arrogant in the post match interview as well. Gave Arthur zero respect and kept interripting him.

Only so long you can have "Lions in the camp" as instruction from the corner. That ain't going to progress his careeer. Needs to get away from Tunde to a proper trainer if he is going to do anything of note.

11 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Plenty of grown men pay for WWE, this isn't any different.

Floyd battering the wee Japanese guy was quite funny, hoping for more of the same.

Pretty much disagree with all of that tbh, but you’re spot-on about muppets paying for it.

11 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

If this bullshit takes off, it takes money off the table for real fights and fighters. It's a fucking disaster for boxing as a sport.

Boxing as a nonsense exhibition is the future apparently. Poke it.

That would only be true if active fighters start doing it. 

2 hours ago, Detournement said:

That would only be true if active fighters start doing it. 

I dont think so. If it takes attention and therefore money out of the sport, it will undoubtedly suffer a knock on effect.

That said, the sport of boxing has only itself to blame. 

It's sad that over a million people would pay to see Jones v Tyson, when you imagine what sort of numbers say Spence v Crawford would draw. I'd guess at no more than 700k. 

Does Pulev have a good chance on Saturday, obviously he has a punchers chance but is he quite technical?
Worth getting the fight in?

Should be a routine win, Pulev solid enough but he’s 39 now.
The undercard isn’t particularly thrilling either, I won’t be paying for it.

14 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

If this bullshit takes off, it takes money off the table for real fights and fighters. It's a fucking disaster for boxing as a sport.

Boxing as a nonsense exhibition is the future apparently. Poke it.

Precisely what I was getting at in my first post. An absolute farce that some Youtubers can just glove up, have that one pantomime fight and thereafter, on paper they are a professional boxer with a professional boxing record?? f**k off.

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

I dont think so. If it takes attention and therefore money out of the sport, it will undoubtedly suffer a knock on effect.

That said, the sport of boxing has only itself to blame. 

It's sad that over a million people would pay to see Jones v Tyson, when you imagine what sort of numbers say Spence v Crawford would draw. I'd guess at no more than 700k. 

Tyson Jones was an event featuring a true icon at a time when absolutely nothing happens on a Saturday night. Tyson's fame goes beyond boxing. This shit has been going on for a long time even before Ali Vs Marciano.

700k buys still equates to the fight generating over $30 million. Revenues will have to decrease by a hell of a lot before boxers decide it's not worth the hassle. 

1 hour ago, 8MileBU said:

Precisely what I was getting at in my first post. An absolute farce that some Youtubers can just glove up, have that one pantomime fight and thereafter, on paper they are a professional boxer with a professional boxing record?? f**k off.

I don't think any of the Paul brothers' fights have been sanctioned. 

While I totally agree with all this I don’t blame floyd for taking these fights. 

It is the dream for a prize fighter, enormous purses for fighting guys that don’t have a hope in hell of beating him.

Of course he is going to keep taking them as long as dafties like this keep calling him out, laughing all the way to the bank. 

Edited by Merkie84
Spelling

The undercard could have been miles better with a few tweaks, which frustrates the life out of me. Don't understand why Fury and Bakolie are fighting a jobber each rather than fighting each other. The nonsense reasons as to why Florian Marku wont fight Chris Kongo (Kongo said he could only make 150, meaning the fight wouldnt take place at welterweight title fight limit so 8oz gloves wouldnt be allowed) is just ridiculous.

In fairness, was clear for a long time that Okolie vs Glowacki was going to be chief support to this fight and its unfortunate that its feel off due to Covid. Don't have any issue with anyone saying they wont be buying it.