Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

Ironically enough just seen the Tyson Jones Jr fight is taking place at a venue called the Dignity Health Sports Park.
Do you object to this fight? I actually dont. Iv always thought a boxing seniors tour would be great. Get the likes of these two, Holyfield, Cheeseburger Toney, Winky Wright.... Whoever wants to do exhibitions touring round the world doing a night of 3 or 4 rounders. I mean this one is pretending to be a real fight which is a bit off, but I'd be all for seeing some of the old timers have a knock about

I'm not bothered, there's not much else on just now. Afaik it's not being promoted as a real fight more of a glorified sparring session.
I think they got it sanctioned? For me that's a step too far. These things really should be exhibition format and I wouldnt pay for it on tv. But I would love to see them doing it in the flesh. Imagine an event with 4 or 5 exhibition fights.... RJJ v Hopkins with Toney doing the commentary through the arena, let them all do a wee after dinner speech later on etc. Theres a serious amount of boxing wisdom among that generation of fighters. I always imagine they could make serious coin on my fantasy seniors tour.

I do wonder about the odds for that fight. Why is Tyson the favourite. Been out the ring since 05 whilst Jones was still pretty active until 2 or 3 year ago.
I just wonder if there is an element of pro wrestling in the outcome of this.
Jones chin is beyond shot, hed have to be careful putting on aftershave and the videos he releases of him training, presumably the ones that his team feel paint him in the best light, he looks like a lead footed plodder. His son says he cant even run anymore. Power is the last thing to go so you would have to think Tyson still carries some.

That said, Folk are forgetting how terrible Tyson looked fully 15 years ago.

It's quite intriguing tbh.

5 hours ago, Sir Kevin Of Kilsyth said:

I do wonder about the odds for that fight. Why is Tyson the favourite. Been out the ring since 05 whilst Jones was still pretty active until 2 or 3 year ago.

I just wonder if there is an element of pro wrestling in the outcome of this.

I would say anyone staking their hard earned money on this fight/exhibition needs to tread carefully and/or have a good word with themselves. This is a fight to sit back and observe, if they put on a good show then brilliant. Chances are they put on a glorified sparring session and wake up the next day counting their PPV earnings, both considerably richer than they were the day before. Mayweather and McGregor laid the path, these guys are following it and I can confidently say they won’t be the last. 

Don’t give any of the bookies money in this market, no matter what specials or bonuses they offer...they make enough money from offering terrible odds through the week on the football and horse racing, they don’t need the money. Bet365 alone had revenues of over £2 billion last year, profits of over £600 million and their CEO took home a £232 million bonus. 

We have a Govt. who are in the pockets of the big bookmakers and the British Horseracing Authority. I would think that laying odds on markets like this Tyson/RJJ fight would be illegal in a moral society, but gamblers make bookies a lot of money, who in turn pay our Govt. a fraction of the tax they are due by basing themselves in places like Gibraltar and the Isle of Man, and for some absolutely crazy reason a blind eye gets turned to that.  

Realise I have went off on a tangent here but it’s truly one of the biggest scandals in the UKs recent history...when you pair up the time scales of the previously strict UK gambling laws being near enough abolished under Gordon Brown, and compare it to modern day debt levels, gambling addiction, male suicide rates...there is a definite correlation that cannot be denied.

TL:DR - Don’t bet on the Tyson-JonesJr fight. Plz. 

Babic hype train keeps rolling on. The fella can bang them out and doesn’t let up in terms of work rate. Needs to get in against someone who can take his shots and preferably land something back before we’ll know where he is really.

Always get an exciting fight with Benn, but that’s mainly down to his horrific defence. Last time I seen him in the ring he was getting pasted about by some French jobber, and he came out saying his defence would be improved next time out. He’s winning this fight quite handily so far but he’s so open to the counter punch that a quality fighter would catch him eventually. Slim chance Formella does it here if he stays upright. 

He is so lazy with his hands after he throws a couple of punches, he never brings them back to anywhere near his chin and the majority of the time he brings them back to his hips. It might just be his style but bringing the gloves back to the chin is pretty basic stuff that would get drilled into juniors from an early age. 

Benn has improved, his jab and footwork looked better than the last time I saw him, but he is still so, so hittable. Ironically he also has a lot of the Eubank jnr about him, where he not only has his hands low, but he also loads up with every punch for zero reason, which leaves him even more open when he inevitably misses with yet another wild hook. Not convinced he has either the chin or the power to get away with that as he moves up the levels either.

He’s got a fan friendly style and his dads name, so he’ll do alright for himself regardless, but on current evidence I don’t see him ever troubling world titles.

Amir Khanesk looking good coming through but who will be DD's breidis Prescott ? I agree though he will be on a highlight reel in the not so distant future.

Dubois but I really don't think either guy is particularly good tbh. DD will end up on someones highlight reel in the next 2 years.

9 minutes ago, Disco30 said:

Amir Khanesk looking good coming through but who will be DD's breidis Prescott ? I agree though he will be on a highlight reel in the not so distant future.

I love big Prescott, since I bet on him to win that by KO. The bookie laughed at me and ripped the pish as I was putting it on.... Proper Still Game stuff when I went to collect