Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

7 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Well no, let's not because whilst Usyk may get beat, it will be exclusively down to physicality, not down to these absolute nonsense takes about how he is no better than Bellew or Parker or Chisora. Only Fury can trouble Usyk in terms of actual skill and even then p4p Usyk is light years ahead of him. It would still be Furys size that decided it in his favour.

This is the absolute worst type of prediction. Any idiot can continue to predict Usyks downfall at heavy for each and every fight and then crow about it when they eventually get it right. Trying to paint it as some sort of boxing knowledge is a bit embarrassing.

So I can’t defend myself but it’s ok to be ridiculed, ok then.

I didn’t say he wasn’t better than bellew just at that kind of level. He won’t trouble the big boys because he’s in the wrong division. Kudos for stepping up though. That doesn’t mean he’s not a good fighter. He’s ran out of options at the correct fighting weight.

6 hours ago, J_Stewart said:

Will preface this by saying obviously anyone can get beat at heavyweight, these are all big punching guys and a flush shot will put the lights out, but genuinely interested to know what this is based from?

At no point was Usyk hurt by Chisora last night, he didn’t get hit with a huge number (was slipping or catching most on his gloves) but the right hands Chisora did get through didn’t seem to bother him much at all, so I don’t see a problem with his ability to take shots, and bar Fury, he avoids them better than anyone at heavyweight.

His footwork is the second best in the world at any weight (after Lomachenkos). Likes of Wilder, Joshua, Whyte, Povetkin, etc are no where near that.

He hurt Chisora on a couple of occasions (end of 7th and 8th most notably). He didn’t finish him, but Chisora has gone the distance with Vitali, Fury, Pulev and Whyte (amongst others) at various stages of his career. He’s a hard b*****d to stop. It’s no slight on someone not finishing him in their second fight in the division.

Joshua and Wilder have both been down / hurt multiple times in their careers and both been stopped. There are real question marks over Joshua’s chin. Granted he’s fought at a lighter division for most of his career to date, but Usyk has never touched the canvas.

Usyk is as accurate as any boxer on the planet, and he’s as good at not being hit as anyone too. Barring Fury (which would be on boxing ability), I just don’t see what the justification for this “the big boys will eat him up” narrative is.

At no point was chisora hurt either despite getting pummelled by punches for twelve rounds. A small stumble to the end of the round and that was it.

It’s pointless stepping up to heavyweight now because most fighters will have weight and reach advantage and will hit harder and not get hurt. Yes he can dance about and land weak punches on bums but that’s it.

At no point was chisora hurt either despite getting pummelled by punches for twelve rounds. A small stumble to the end of the round and that was it.
It’s pointless stepping up to heavyweight now because most fighters will have weight and reach advantage and will hit harder and not get hurt. Yes he can dance about and land weak punches on bums but that’s it.

It’s the art of hitting and not getting hit. It might not be what you want to see, but that’s what the sweet science is based on.
Usyk at heavyweight might not knock most the division out like he did at cruiser but if he can box their lugs off for most the fight like he did last night then I don’t see it as pointless.
You’ve also said he’s at the same level as whyte, Chisora and Bellew...whyte and Chisora went toe to toe for 23 rounds...Usyk retired Bellew and won routinely against Chisora suggesting he’s well above that level.

29 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

It’s the art of hitting and not getting hit. It might not be what you want to see, but that’s what the sweet science is based on.
Usyk at heavyweight might not knock most the division out like he did at cruiser but if he can box their lugs off for most the fight like he did last night then I don’t see it as pointless.
You’ve also said he’s at the same level as whyte, Chisora and Bellew...whyte and Chisora went toe to toe for 23 rounds...Usyk retired Bellew and won routinely against Chisora suggesting he’s well above that level.

On that logic fury dispatched chisora within four rounds yet people on here claimed usyk would beat fury?

I don’t disagree that he’s an excellent boxer but this is his level. Beating washed up middle ranking fighters. Still making big cash though. Fury and Joshua don’t really consider him atm.

Parker or someone like that next, would like to see Dubois fight him. Joshua will beat pulev then he’s in line to fight him but I think that’s a step too far too quickly. 

Edited by D.A.F.C

On that logic fury dispatched chisora within four rounds yet people on here claimed usyk would beat fury?
I don’t disagree that he’s an excellent boxer but this is his level. Beating washed up middle ranking fighters. Still making big cash though. Fury and Joshua don’t really consider him atm.
Parker or someone like that next, would like to see Dubois fight him. Joshua will beat pulev then he’s in line to fight him but I think that’s a step too far too quickly. 

I never seen that claim but it’s definitely not an opinion I share. I think Fury is the only heavyweight with the technical skills and movement to negate Usyk’s.
Joshua will need to start considering as Usyk’s his mandatory.
Parker would be a routine win for Usyk, Dubois who’s a bit more explosive than Parker could be a good shout for Usyk’s next fight if he doesn’t get his crack at AJ, and Dubois gets past Joyce of course (I do expect him to, think Joyce is made for him)

30 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

When did Fury dispatch of Chisora in four rounds by the way?

More nonsense you have made up.

Yes he can dance about and land weak punches on bums but that’s it.

Iv only picked this bit out of that entire post, because you mentioned getting ridiculed. If I was going to ridicule you it would be for this utterly outrageous statement.

As for the rest of it.... Joe Calzaghe will go into the IBHOF having been unable to knock snow off a rope for the bulk of his career. Oleksandr Usyk is about 16st of muscle and some of the purest boxing technique in the game. If you dont think he can hurt people like AJ or Wilder just give up. This sport isnt for you.

On 01/11/2020 at 18:42, D.A.F.C said:

At the end of one of the rounds, I think 8 🤔 . Chisora was definitely hurt from the 2 flush punches. If that round had had another 30 secs I think chisora could have been in serious trouble.

Usyk ran out of steam a bit from then.

That being said, im not terribly sure why everyones piling on you for having a slightly different opinion than them. Some people only see things in black or white with no grey.

Its heavyweight boxing, things can change in an instant.

I was impressed with Usyk, he had chisora worked out quickly. And comfortably won. Despite 1 ridiculous and 2 slightly off cards.

But I can also see the argument that he's going to struggle against some of the bigger guys. 

I think fury would be able to handle him quite easily. Not knock out as usyk is so hard to hit flush. But keep him at range and rack up the rounds.

I can honestly see AJ doing that to him also, despite being nowhere near as good a boxer, the reach and power distance I think is just going to be to much. I could see AJ box him like he did Ruiz (second time) and just grind in the rounds.

But despite thinking all this. Usyk is a talented and adaptable guy. Its possible he can adapt, increase his stamina and become even harder to hit. But if I were betting, I think those 2 would be a bridge 2 far for him.

56 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

Big Ed saying he'll wait for Povetkin in January instead, no legs in the chisora trilogy and he's pissing in the wind saying he'll fight Fury.

Would the WBC see it as a mandatory for Fury though?