Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

10 minutes ago, Neilly said:

As do I. But I also think AJ is comfortably better than the rest.

Which is why Usyk would beat them all outwith those two I genuinely don't see who would beat him.

Still awaiting DAFCs top 5 cloggers.

Comfortably? Nah. 

AJ is just absolutely fucking huge with half a boxing skill-set and fought an ageing Klitschko and Povetkin in the twilight of their careers. 

13 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Yes he’s a great boxer but he doesn’t have the size or power to trouble any titles. Therefore he’s at the same level as the boxers mentioned.

I understand he fought bellew who dropped weight and was 35 and beat him after bellew tired himself out. People cited haye but bellew beat him twice. It would be very interesting to see him fight whyte if he beats Povetkin. He’s in line to fight Joshua after pulev as well. 
Maybe I’m wrong but I think it’s just too much of a step up and he’s a bit overrated.

Usyk is smart enough to know what he needs to do moving forward now that he’s experienced a heavyweight fight for real. Cardio needs worked on as he was very obviously tired  himself from about round 8 onwards. Coming from cruiserweight still gives him room to gain weight without adding too much bulk and still be far quicker and more refined than other heavyweights. Wouldn’t be surprised if he comes in even just a stone or so heavier for his next fight. If Usyk had greater punch power or weight behind it, Chisora would’ve been doing well to have made it beyond round 6 tonight. Usyk will absolutely realise this though and adapt accordingly.

Edited by 8MileBU

Yes he’s a great boxer but he doesn’t have the size or power to trouble any titles. Therefore he’s at the same level as the boxers mentioned.
I understand he fought bellew who dropped weight and was 35 and beat him after bellew tired himself out. People cited haye but bellew beat him twice. It would be very interesting to see him fight whyte beats Povetkin. He’s in line to fight Joshua after pulev as well. 
Maybe I’m wrong but I think it’s just too much of a step up and he’s a bit overrated.

So you think he's a great boxer but overrated, which one is it? He's was an undisputed champion after 15 fights Ffs that doesn't happen if you are overrated

And let's get this right Bellew didn't tire himself out, Usyk tired him out with the pressure he puts on before almost fucking decapitating him.

Think fury would be too big for Usyk as his movement is also very good, but not convinced AJ would be. Totally different fight to this as Joshua wouldn’t just be pressing forward throwing wild haymakers (majority of which missed by a distance or been blocked), but have more of a jab fest. That would suit Usyk far more than the fight tonight. Joshua is a cautious boxer now and his footwork is levels below Usyk’s as well so there’s every chance he could get in and out of range without being landed on.

Worth remembering that it’s his second fight at the weight. He’s only going to get heavier and stronger as he continues, same way Haye did, same way Holyfield did.
This is where the laughable credit AJ got for "boxing" against an even fatter version of Ruiz would get hilariously unpicked. AJ would go into the ring with Usyk unsire of what he wants to be and would be easily lulled into fighting Usyks fight, which would end up with his gas tank blown in about 3 rounds. AJ is a robot and doesnt have resilience like Chisora. Usyk would time him with ease and be able to hurt him too. That's a nightmare combination.
Really don't get the love in for usyk. Doesn't look like he's anything above the likes of parker/bellew/chisora.
Sure hes talented but you need power.
I can see him exhausting big lumps with skill but anyone who is in shape or good technically will beat him.
No denying hes a great boxer but to say he will trouble fury or Joshua is nuts.
No you don't need power. If you can time them and tire them. See Mayweather; Floyd, hundreds of other examples available. That's a closer comparison of the level Usyk can box at than those ridiculous examples. Joe Parker, or two guys that Usyk has literally proved himself better than ffs
I understand he fought bellew who dropped weight and was 35 and beat him after bellew tired himself out. People cited haye but bellew beat him twice. It would be very interesting to see him fight whyte if he beats Povetkin. He’s in line to fight Joshua after pulev as well. 
Maybe you should listen to what Bellew said about why he was tired. Or..... go and watch that fight again and see for yourself. Maybe switch the Sky commentary off though.

Hope D.A.F.C. has the alkaseltzer and lucozade handy, that’ll be a sore one this morning.

Davis practically decapitated Santa Cruz there!

An unbelievable shot. An easy top three knockout of the year. He timed him absolutely perfectly, waiting for the last punch of the flurry and the detonating. Was a cracking watch before that (as LSC fights always are), but Tank is a very good boxer, far more intelligent than just a bomber. Glad LSC seemed to be ok.

Not been able to find the fight yet, but see Inoue was up to his old tricks again last night:

What a fighter.

Chisora and Haye deserves plenty of praise for the disciple showed by Chisora. Despite lunging in all the time he never one dipped his head into the line of fire for Usyk’s uppercut (see Bellew Usyk, Whyte Povetkin..). Usyk looked reluctant to let his left hand go - whether a little injury or just fear/respect or Chisora. 

[mention=59448]D.A.F.C[/mention] with a couple of contenders for post of the night, but this beauty takes the title.

Think we can comfortably file that H_B post in the waste paper bin with the rest of his output on this fine, fine website. A peculiar individual.

Hope D.A.F.C. has the alkaseltzer and lucozade handy, that’ll be a sore one this morning.

An unbelievable shot. An easy top three knockout of the year. He timed him absolutely perfectly, waiting for the last punch of the flurry and the detonating. Was a cracking watch before that (as LSC fights always are), but Tank is a very good boxer, far more intelligent than just a bomber. Glad LSC seemed to be ok.

Not been able to find the fight yet, but see Inoue was up to his old tricks again last night:

What a fighter.
Inoue is a fucking terminator. Ruthless. It's an achievement for him not to have fallen in live with his power like many do. He still does everything right, it just so happens that in landing a textbook combo he can also put the lights all the way out.

Let’s bookmark this for when usyk fights someone half decent at heavyweight.
Well no, let's not because whilst Usyk may get beat, it will be exclusively down to physicality, not down to these absolute nonsense takes about how he is no better than Bellew or Parker or Chisora. Only Fury can trouble Usyk in terms of actual skill and even then p4p Usyk is light years ahead of him. It would still be Furys size that decided it in his favour.

This is the absolute worst type of prediction. Any idiot can continue to predict Usyks downfall at heavy for each and every fight and then crow about it when they eventually get it right. Trying to paint it as some sort of boxing knowledge is a bit embarrassing.

It was a convincing win in terms of points but he won't survive against the big guys if that performance is anything to go by.

Will preface this by saying obviously anyone can get beat at heavyweight, these are all big punching guys and a flush shot will put the lights out, but genuinely interested to know what this is based from?

At no point was Usyk hurt by Chisora last night, he didn’t get hit with a huge number (was slipping or catching most on his gloves) but the right hands Chisora did get through didn’t seem to bother him much at all, so I don’t see a problem with his ability to take shots, and bar Fury, he avoids them better than anyone at heavyweight.

His footwork is the second best in the world at any weight (after Lomachenkos). Likes of Wilder, Joshua, Whyte, Povetkin, etc are no where near that.

He hurt Chisora on a couple of occasions (end of 7th and 8th most notably). He didn’t finish him, but Chisora has gone the distance with Vitali, Fury, Pulev and Whyte (amongst others) at various stages of his career. He’s a hard b*****d to stop. It’s no slight on someone not finishing him in their second fight in the division.

Joshua and Wilder have both been down / hurt multiple times in their careers and both been stopped. There are real question marks over Joshua’s chin. Granted he’s fought at a lighter division for most of his career to date, but Usyk has never touched the canvas.

Usyk is as accurate as any boxer on the planet, and he’s as good at not being hit as anyone too. Barring Fury (which would be on boxing ability), I just don’t see what the justification for this “the big boys will eat him up” narrative is.

Avoided the thread until I caught up with Santa Cruz Davis this morning. What a scrap while it lasted and was brought to some end by Davis.
Some boiling hot takes that Usyk is no better than bellew (who he walloped) and Chisora (who he’d just beaten comfortably with limited use of his left hand towards the end). Also seeing that Whyte would bully Usyk, seems strange when Whyte had two very competitive fights with the guy that just got fairly unanimously dominated by Usyk. Fury would probably be able to deal with Usyk’s movement but as for the rest of the heavyweight decision I’m not so sure.