Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

There was a Guardian interview with Whyte the other day where he said he had to collect plastic bottles to eat as a kid in Jamaica. I'd never call anyone who came through shit like that a knob.  

There’s plenty of people in this world who’ve hard a lot harder upbringing that Dillian Whyte, yet manage to retain a bit of human decency about them. Whyte is a knob.

9 minutes ago, Detournement said:

There was a Guardian interview with Whyte the other day where he said he had to collect plastic bottles to eat as a kid in Jamaica. I'd never call anyone who came through shit like that a knob.  

I don't believe for one moment he ate plastic bottles...

20 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

That’s the danger of fighting Povetkin. Apart from Wilder, he’s the only other fighter in the top 10 with 1 punch KO power.

Exactly this and hence my gut call for Povetkin just before the start of the fight. You just never know, plus those Eastern European guys are just made of tougher stuff. Whyte should be thanking the stars he’s counting that Povetkin is the age he is and not a younger version.

9 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

There’s plenty of people in this world who’ve hard a lot harder upbringing that Dillian Whyte, yet manage to retain a bit of human decency about them. Whyte is a knob.

Exactly this too. 

I wouldn't say he was a knob. I found him quite likeable too whenever I see him in any non-boxing related capacity. What does annoy me about him though are those bloody annoying howls he does. [emoji191]

Interested to hear why folk think Whyte is a knob. Aside from the carry-on with Chisora (which I blame Chisora for in the main) I've always found him quite likeable.

1 hour ago, Cowshed Chris said:

Interested to hear why folk think Whyte is a knob. Aside from the carry-on with Chisora (which I blame Chisora for in the main) I've always found him quite likeable.

He’s spent the last three years giving it the big “I am” or being a big whining crybaby when (for me at least) he’s never been all that convincing.

He’s spent the last three years giving it the big “I am” or being a big whining crybaby when (for me at least) he’s never been all that convincing.
He's been absolutely shafted by the WBC, I'm not sure anyone could deny that. In the meantime, he's taken on plenty of good opponents and has shown up well. Even last night he was in complete control before being caught with a shot.

That punch would have knocked out any boxer (admittedly he was open to the uppercut since the first bell) and I think that he's a difficult fight for any of the top guys. His interviews on IFL TV and the other YouTube channels are always entertaining also, comes across well.

He's been absolutely shafted by the WBC, I'm not sure anyone could deny that. In the meantime, he's taken on plenty of good opponents and has shown up well. Even last night he was in complete control before being caught with a shot.

That punch would have knocked out any boxer (admittedly he was open to the uppercut since the first bell) and I think that he's a difficult fight for any of the top guys. His interviews on IFL TV and the other YouTube channels are always entertaining also, comes across well.

Still a Knob though

Povetkin is shot but was previously miles better than Whyte has ever been. It's no surprise they had a shootout and could easily go the other way next time. Povetkin doesnt appear to have much punch resistance left. Whyte is shit but he can grind out results.

Their level is putting on fun fights and staying out of title business.

19 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Povetkin is shot but was previously miles better than Whyte has ever been. It's no surprise they had a shootout and could easily go the other way next time. Povetkin doesnt appear to have much punch resistance left. Whyte is shit but he can grind out results.

Their level is putting on fun fights and staying out of title business.

This is what I was getting at when I said Whyte has never been all that convincing. The Spurs of boxing

13 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

This is what I was getting at when I said Whyte has never been all that convincing. The Spurs of boxing

Boxing is a results business, so you have to credit Whyte for his run of the last few years but skills wise he is a terrible fighter and just like Wilder would always get unpicked by top guys. It's just that there are so few of those at heavy that it hadnt really happened since AJ.