Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

Calzaghe beat the following world champions (those with a * won world titles after fighting Calzaghe)

Chris Eubank

Robin Reid

Richie Woodhall

Charles Brewer

Byron Mitchell

Jeff Lacy

Sakio Bika*

Mikkel Kessler*

Bernard Hopkins*

Roy Jones Jnr

Froch beat the following world champions, again those with a * won a further title

Robin Reid

Jean Pascal*

Jermain Taylor*

Arthur Abraham*

Glen Johnson

Lucian Bute

MIkkel Kessler

George Groves*

I think Froch had a great record and was a really good fighter but Calzaghe was a different level.  Froch gutted out a lot of his fights but Calzaghe was so skilful, fast and accurate.  You also have Forch's two losses, one to a fighter that Calzghe beat.  Both excellent ifghters but Calzaghe is clearly, for me superior.  Frfoch is also a bit of a dick.

4 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Calzaghe beat the following world champions (those with a * won world titles after fighting Calzaghe)

Chris Eubank

Robin Reid

Richie Woodhall

Charles Brewer

Byron Mitchell

Jeff Lacy

Sakio Bika*

Mikkel Kessler*

Bernard Hopkins*

Roy Jones Jnr

Froch beat the following world champions, again those with a * won a further title

Robin Reid

Jean Pascal*

Jermain Taylor*

Arthur Abraham*

Glen Johnson

Lucian Bute

MIkkel Kessler

George Groves*

I think Froch had a great record and was a really good fighter but Calzaghe was a different level.  Froch gutted out a lot of his fights but Calzaghe was so skilful, fast and accurate.  You also have Forch's two losses, one to a fighter that Calzghe beat.  Both excellent ifghters but Calzaghe is clearly, for me superior.  Frfoch is also a bit of a dick.

Calzaghe ain't exactly a great guy either.

I think Froch has a slightly better resume over all but Calzaghe has the best win in Hopkins and beat a better version of Kessler. Calzaghe would also have schooled Froch if they had fought at any point.

2 hours ago, Super_A said:

I think Froch has a slightly better resume over all but Calzaghe has the best win in Hopkins and beat a better version of Kessler. Calzaghe would also have schooled Froch if they had fought at any point.

This. Calzaghe would have exposed Froch's limited footwork in a similar way to which Andre Ward did.

I don't understand why Froch continually calls him out. Let's say they both came out of retirement and Froch won - he'll have beat a 48 year old man who's not got the trainer that contributed a large amount to his success and who hasn't fought in 12 year.

Calzaghe would smash him in his prime, but he's living rent free in Froch's head now.

I still think that not going to America to fight the top guys like Hopkins and Jones in their prime counts against Calzaghe. Froch got schooled by prime Ward but at least he fought. 

Froch lost a close fight to Kessler in Denmark and beat him convincingly in London. He has more defining fights than Calzaghe who was too content to fight bums for Warren. 

53 minutes ago, Detournement said:

I still think that not going to America to fight the top guys like Hopkins and Jones in their prime counts against Calzaghe. Froch got schooled by prime Ward but at least he fought. 

Froch lost a close fight to Kessler in Denmark and beat him convincingly in London. He has more defining fights than Calzaghe who was too content to fight bums for Warren. 

When was Calzaghe to fight B-Hop before he did, out of interest? He was on a historic reign at Middleweight, and has gone on record about placing value in holding down a weight. He lost twice to Taylor, decided to step up to take a title, defended it once then took on Calzaghe who was stepping up in weight for the first time.

At what point was a Calzaghe - Hopkins fight credible before then?

Just watched a Sky behind the scenes of Usyk v Bellew. Nice wee scenes you dont normally see between the fighters after the fight. Bellew in a suite dressing room telling Usyk to look afte himself and dont stay in the game too long and the mutual respect.

Much prefer that to the pantomime these days.

I don't understand why Froch continually calls him out. Let's say they both came out of retirement and Froch won - he'll have beat a 48 year old man who's not got the trainer that contributed a large amount to his success and who hasn't fought in 12 year.
Calzaghe would smash him in his prime, but he's living rent free in Froch's head now.
Because despite being a world champion boxer with millions in the bank after a very good career he is a classless, bitter insecure man who cannot seem to handle anyone talking about him in a negative light. For me it was Groves that first exposed this side of Froch and as he totally got in his head during build up to the first fight.

He will probaly be calling me out if he sees this [emoji23]

Froch was always an arsehole, and the Groves fights definitely amplified it to the mainstream, but I remember him being utterly unbearable after beating Bute.

Favourite was before the Ward fight though, talking about how he was going to bully him, how Ward would never have encountered toughness like he brought, etc. Aye, no bother Carl, a man that grew up in an Oakland ghetto with two junkie parents and had to go and live with his godparents is definitely going to be shiting himself fighting someone from Nottingham [emoji23]

Froch was always an arsehole, and the Groves fights definitely amplified it to the mainstream, but I remember him being utterly unbearable after beating Bute.

Favourite was before the Ward fight though, talking about how he was going to bully him, how Ward would never have encountered toughness like he brought, etc. Aye, no bother Carl, a man that grew up in an Oakland ghetto with two junkie parents and had to go and live with his godparents is definitely going to be shiting himself fighting someone from Nottingham [emoji23]
Someone from Nottingham named Carl no less [emoji23]

Ward got the reputation for not being tough, to my mind, because he is intelligent and speaks well. He doesnt fall into the usual bracket of your young black American fighter.

Ward got the reputation for not being tough, to my mind, because he is intelligent and speaks well. He doesnt fall into the usual bracket of your young black American fighter.
Olympic Golds don't come in lucky bags *(unless you're South Korean, before somebody jumps in).
Ward boxed his head off.

I always found Ward was never really classed as a superstar because of how he was, well spoken, humble and intelligent. Him and Calzaghe would of been a great fight.

I always found Ward was never really classed as a superstar because of how he was, well spoken, humble and intelligent. Him and Calzaghe would of been a great fight.
More likely a victim of the US producing less World Class fighters & inventing another sport to watch instead, in UFC.

There is a lot to why Ward never was a "superstar", not one particular thing IMO. He was resolute in doing things his own way, not playing the game and being true to himself. The problems with Roc Nation were another factor. Also, his style wasnt seen as appealing and he was head and shoulders above everyone in his division. 

I think he is the best p4p fighter of the last 20 years, tbh.

• 2 weeks later...

Been missing the boxing, so watched some old fights back over the weekend there.

Mayweather - Maidana 1

Remember being seething at the time, thinking the Floyd had been given a gift from the judges, scored it a draw this time though. Maidana was excellent, pressuring Floyd from the off, roughing him up and throwing lots of punches from difficult angles. You have to say though, FMJ adjustments were excellent and took control from half way.

Marquez - Pacquiao 4

Quiet first couple of rounds before some amazing action, trading knockdowns then Manny getting sparked right at the end of the sixth. Proper uncomfortable viewing after with loads of shits of Pacquiaos wife screaming and crying, somehow being interviewed after it and the commentator using a line something like "the tsunami that has just hit the Philippines has been replicated by the tsunami of marquez right hand hitting Manny".

Canelo - GGG 2

Just two elite, incredible boxers going for it from start to finish. I had it to GGG by 2. A total joy to watch.