Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

Taylor’s first fight as a unified champion announced. Fighting his IBF mandatory. Been to all his other fights in the Hydro so should get along I think. IMG_2316.thumb.jpg.6ffe0ffb38af57644e7741832c06d8c7.jpg

ETA: looks like Taylor will be training with Ben Davidson going forward as well, which should hopefully be a good partnership. Was very impressed with Davidson’s analysis during the Fury-Wilder build-up.

Usyk - Chisora should be good, although doubt I’ll pay for it, maybe one to watch in the pub.

2 hours ago, J_Stewart said:

Taylor’s first fight as a unified champion announced. Fighting his IBF mandatory. Been to all his other fights in the Hydro so should get along I think. IMG_2316.thumb.jpg.6ffe0ffb38af57644e7741832c06d8c7.jpg

ETA: looks like Taylor will be training with Ben Davidson going forward as well, which should hopefully be a good partnership. Was very impressed with Davidson’s analysis during the Fury-Wilder build-up.

Usyk - Chisora should be good, although doubt I’ll pay for it, maybe one to watch in the pub.

Why do I get the same feeling as I did with Charlie Magri/Sot Chitlada?

2 hours ago, Detournement said:

Top Rank, Warren and MTK all on the Taylor poster. I wonder what the undercard will be like?

Would guess they'll try and fit in Lee McGregor?

Josh Taylor signed up with Ben Davison. ETA - duh! @J_Stewart has already covered all that. 

Edited by L'immortale Par

The Yafai fight was all about levels. Completely out his depth against Gonzalez.

Thought Garcia looked good. I’m not sure if the Sky commentators do much research, as they kept mentioning a fight against Taylor or Ramirez at 140. Garcia has said many times he’ll never fight Ramirez, who’s his training partner.

Parker was obviously a lot bigger than Winters, but he seemed to be thicker than usual and a bit more spiteful. Got caught too often, and would still probably place him only hovering about the top 10 at HW, but a good performance.

Chocolatito is a first ballot hall of famer in waiting and really the only question was whether he still had anything left at world level. He definitely still does. Yafai is a world level fighter and was made to look second rate. Phenomenal performance from a phenomenal boxer. Systematically broke Yafai down, and there was nothing he could do about it. Simply outclassed.

Mikey Garcia is also a phenomenal boxer. Unlike Gonzalez he doesn’t do anything especially flashy, but he does the “basics” to such a high level that he doesn’t need to. His footwork and feinting are sensational and his timing is some of the best in the game. Would certainly prefer him to move back down the weights as I think he may struggle against the elite at 147 purely because of the size. The thought of him v an undisputed Josh Taylor at Edinburgh Castle gives me a semi.

Sky’s coverage overall often leaves a bit to be desired, but I really like Matt Macklin as a co-comm. His analysis of the fights and what he’s watching is usually excellent.