Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

Ryan Garcia needs to be in some massive fights this year... want to see him up a level before jumping in with Tank or Haney

Likely to be Linares soon. Bit of a no win fight (he wins, then aye all very good we accept he’s competent if nothing) against an experienced and potentially dangerous campaigner.

Likely to be Linares soon. Bit of a no win fight (he wins, then aye all very good we accept he’s competent if nothing) against an experienced and potentially dangerous campaigner.

They’ve talked about loma but that’s too much so quickly. His check left hook is a thing of beauty.... great prospect so hopefully they match him well.

They’ve talked about loma but that’s too much so quickly. His check left hook is a thing of beauty.... great prospect so hopefully they match him well.

Yeah, far too soon to tackle Loma. Linares would be a good match up. Plenty experience but still dangerous (not quite over the hill, but think best days behind him).
He certainly has good reactions and generates plenty power about all I know of him so far, that and he has potentially knock out of the year already!

1 hour ago, NJ2 said:

Yeah, far too soon to tackle Loma. Linares would be a good match up. Plenty experience but still dangerous (not quite over the hill, but think best days behind him).
He certainly has good reactions and generates plenty power about all I know of him so far, that and he has potentially knock out of the year already!

Seen his videos on the Cobra bag? Canelo posted vids working the same bag and looks like someone who wandered in off the street compared to the skill of Garcia.

I think he deals with Linares comfortably to be honest, his technique is unbelievable and very very strong. He’s been my one to watch last year and has started this year exceptionally well. I think golden boy are hoping he’s the next Canelo, he seems very attracted to the spotlight which could slow him down.

Lopez v Loma will be a beauty

I'm buzzing for Fury Wilder 2. Thought that first fight was pretty dreary but the 12th round obviously made it iconic. Find it so hard to call. Had thought WIlder would do him properly this time, veered more towards Fury this week when seeing the size difference when they faced off but now veering back towards Wilder. There are so many scenarios where you can see one of them winning. It's not like Taylor v Prograis where you have two similarly talented guys but one is just that bit bigger and nastier than the other so it's likely the bigger guys edges a close fight. 

Potential outcomes? 

The Tom Schwarz fight showed how nasty Fury could be on the inside and if Wilder lets Fury get in close he could get crushed and beaten up. Fury KO.

But, if Wilder can use the jab to the body, that really fucks things up for Fury. Fury's mindgames (eg discrediting Joshua for boxing Ruiz in the rematch) have tried to steer Wilder away from doing that as his body is such a big target that he either has to block it or step back each time Wilder does it. If he walks forward to Wilder with his hands up he's vulnerable to a Wilder straight right to the body and being on the receiving end of a few of them would be a grim experience. It would also keep him out of the way of Fury's fantastic jabs. Wilder showed real patience against Ortiz and he used that long left slap/jab/uppercut repeatedly against Ortiz to stop him moving to the right and to start teeing him up for the right hand. That fight was more like watching an assassination than a boxing match. Wilder points.

Re-run of the first fight. Fury boxes nicely, pulls some funny faces to impress the judges, boxes in spurts and remains conscious for 36 minutes. Fury points. 

Of course, Wilder could spark him at any second of any round. Wilder KO.

I'm hoping they just go at each other from the start and it's all over within a few rounds. Would love to see these two big lads who are blessed with supreme talent just stand and have a proper schoolyard tear up. Losing in a spectacular firefight would probably do the least harm to either's legacy and build the appetite for a 3rd fight.

The 5 Live boxing guys this morning have gone back and re-watched the first fight and were both surprised when re-scoring it how much closer it was than they perceived it to be at the time. I really don't think Wilder has to do anything fancy to nullify Fury a bit more and give himself more of a chance if it does go to the scorecards. 

Fury looks in great shape. Looks like he's going in there with the build to try and hurt Wilder. There's no big stage nerves for Fury so you know he's going to be good. Wilder's last two performances suggest to me he has learned from the Fury fight. Fury will be fitter and stronger though so the gap between them is probably no different to the first fight. It's two completely different but strangely well-matched skill sets.

Too cynical to suggest it will be a draw again if they're both still standing after 12 rounds? 

I’m hating the build up of this fight to be honest.... all very wwf ( for us of a certain age ) but I’m a bit like yourself I’ve went over about 100 scenarios each time with a different outcome!

I thought Fury fighting in the pocket may be a good idea and smothering wilder but I watched the wallin fight again last night and he was caught far too many times and if it’s wilder in the end of those punches it’s lights out..... on the other hand tho he does fight to the level of his opponents so doubtful he’ll be as poor.

The weight issue against wallin may have been a serious issue as he was 18st 2 and I expect him to come in much heavier, not a massive fan of either fighter but I hope fury ends wilder!

3 hours ago, quickoverayard said:

I’m hating the build up of this fight to be honest.... all very wwf ( for us of a certain age ) but I’m a bit like yourself I’ve went over about 100 scenarios each time with a different outcome!

I thought Fury fighting in the pocket may be a good idea and smothering wilder but I watched the wallin fight again last night and he was caught far too many times and if it’s wilder in the end of those punches it’s lights out..... on the other hand tho he does fight to the level of his opponents so doubtful he’ll be as poor.

The weight issue against wallin may have been a serious issue as he was 18st 2 and I expect him to come in much heavier, not a massive fan of either fighter but I hope fury ends wilder!

Wilder isn't knocking anyone out on in the inside, he needs space to get his shots off

6 hours ago, L'immortale Par said:

I'm buzzing for Fury Wilder 2. Thought that first fight was pretty dreary but the 12th round obviously made it iconic. Find it so hard to call. Had thought WIlder would do him properly this time, veered more towards Fury this week when seeing the size difference when they faced off but now veering back towards Wilder. There are so many scenarios where you can see one of them winning. It's not like Taylor v Prograis where you have two similarly talented guys but one is just that bit bigger and nastier than the other so it's likely the bigger guys edges a close fight. 

Potential outcomes? 

The Tom Schwarz fight showed how nasty Fury could be on the inside and if Wilder lets Fury get in close he could get crushed and beaten up. Fury KO.

But, if Wilder can use the jab to the body, that really fucks things up for Fury. Fury's mindgames (eg discrediting Joshua for boxing Ruiz in the rematch) have tried to steer Wilder away from doing that as his body is such a big target that he either has to block it or step back each time Wilder does it. If he walks forward to Wilder with his hands up he's vulnerable to a Wilder straight right to the body and being on the receiving end of a few of them would be a grim experience. It would also keep him out of the way of Fury's fantastic jabs. Wilder showed real patience against Ortiz and he used that long left slap/jab/uppercut repeatedly against Ortiz to stop him moving to the right and to start teeing him up for the right hand. That fight was more like watching an assassination than a boxing match. Wilder points.

Re-run of the first fight. Fury boxes nicely, pulls some funny faces to impress the judges, boxes in spurts and remains conscious for 36 minutes. Fury points. 

Of course, Wilder could spark him at any second of any round. Wilder KO.

I'm hoping they just go at each other from the start and it's all over within a few rounds. Would love to see these two big lads who are blessed with supreme talent just stand and have a proper schoolyard tear up. Losing in a spectacular firefight would probably do the least harm to either's legacy and build the appetite for a 3rd fight.

The 5 Live boxing guys this morning have gone back and re-watched the first fight and were both surprised when re-scoring it how much closer it was than they perceived it to be at the time. I really don't think Wilder has to do anything fancy to nullify Fury a bit more and give himself more of a chance if it does go to the scorecards. 

Fury looks in great shape. Looks like he's going in there with the build to try and hurt Wilder. There's no big stage nerves for Fury so you know he's going to be good. Wilder's last two performances suggest to me he has learned from the Fury fight. Fury will be fitter and stronger though so the gap between them is probably no different to the first fight. It's two completely different but strangely well-matched skill sets.

Too cynical to suggest it will be a draw again if they're both still standing after 12 rounds? 

So what you're saying is that either Wilder or Fury could win by KO, or Wilder or Fury could win by points, or it might be a draw? 🤔

So what you're saying is that either Wilder or Fury could win by KO, or Wilder or Fury could win by points, or it might be a draw? [emoji848]
No, what hes doing is justifying why he thinks it could quite probably be any decision and doing so in a relatively insightful way, with each option considered. Hes admitting hes torn on predicting the outcome.

Wilder isn't knocking anyone out on in the inside, he needs space to get his shots off

I do think Fury fighting close will be beneficial but I don’t honestly think he has enough power to stop him as Wilder took a good few licks off Ortiz especially in the first fight and was relatively comfortable apart from the 7th! Regardless of who wins we aren’t going to see an undisputed fight anytime soon which is very disappointing.

I want fury to win but I see him being stopped now.... like a lot of people I’ve changed my mind about 100 times and I’ll change it 100 times more by tomorrow.

Hoping for a better fight than the last one as only a few rounds had me engaged but it’ll still be better than AJ v Ruiz 2 so I’ll defo be paying for this one.