Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

I think AJ might take the Usyk fight because there is nothing else. If he can't get Wilder/Fury then is Usyk really much more of a threat than stepping in with Ortiz or Whyte.
Ruiz 3 is a dull possibility though

Yes, Usyk is about a million times more of a threat than Dillian fucking Whyte.

Ortiz is probably out of the picture now. Can see Joshua taking on Whyte next. They were building that one up for a while before Whyte demanded more money, which actually resulted in AJ going to America to fight Miller, and subsequently losing to Ruiz.

Hearn will know that Whyte gets flattened by Wilder so he’ll probably push for the Joshua-Whyte rematch which will be an easy payday for Joshua.

He’ll fight Pulev as his mandatory next and blow out the ageing, over the hill, old Bulgarian. The hype train will explode in to life once more.

That wasn’t exciting, but Joshua boxed well. I posted earlier that the big question was whether Joshua could keep moving and successfully jabbing for the full 12, and he proved he very much could. The few occasions he got carried away and came inside he got caught though and there were still some concerning moments. A good display, but nothing to change my mind in favouring Wilder, Fury and Usyk against him.

Ruiz is far far better than the 2 lumps in Fury’s last 2 fights.

AJ is boring now because he actually used boxing ability to win a fight.... the hypocrisy from people is unbelievable. Credit where credit is due, he was great tonight.

Or maybe it’s because I’ve been blessed to see fighters tear lumps out of each other to win a fight over many years, rather than watch a 6’6” Adonis cower from an overweight fighter half his size to win a bore fest....

Joshua put in a half decent, but very professional performance tonight so fair play to him. Silk pyjama syndrome for Ruiz.
Joshua fights and beats Pulev early-ish next year and it sets up a unification fight of AJ v Wilder / Fury late summer (October / November) fight 2020. Hopefully...

8 hours ago, quickoverayard said:

Ruiz is far far better than the 2 lumps in Fury’s last 2 fights.

AJ is boring now because he actually used boxing ability to win a fight.... the hypocrisy from people is unbelievable. Credit where credit is due, he was great tonight.

Thought it was great to see AJ looking more mobile and having a really excellent jab. Never watched the undercard but thought the main fight was a bit of a masterclass. When Ruiz started walking him down a bit (maybe around 5th) Joshua was terrific at getting up on his toes and out of trouble.

He now knows how to deal with shorter fighters and I reckon he has been frustrated for a while at his training and has wanted to be more of a boxer since just after the Parker fight. 

Or maybe it’s because I’ve been blessed to see fighters tear lumps out of each other to win a fight over many years, rather than watch a 6’6” Adonis cower from an overweight fighter half his size to win a bore fest....
Keeping someone at distance with a jab isn't cowering. He landed on average almost 5 times the amount of punches Ruiz did per round. I'm certainly not buying that is was a masterclass but it was clever boxing from AJ for once.

You'd be as well watching bare knuckle if you want guys tearing lumps out each other.

11 hours ago, NJ2 said:

See that card...not a fighting man on it, bum dossers. Not a problem to a man like me. Not a problem. I’m a fighting man, the best of the lot is stiff as board. Not a problem. Not a problem for me. I’m a fighting man.

Fury for the next 9 months.

Providing he gets past the Bronze Dosser. 

A real classy touch from AJ and Hearn praising the Saudi regime post fight as well. I especially liked Joshua's choice of using the word "decapitate" in his post fight interview as well.

Not a great week for the sport tbh. 

Thought it was great to see AJ looking more mobile and having a really excellent jab. Never watched the undercard but thought the main fight was a bit of a masterclass. When Ruiz started walking him down a bit (maybe around 5th) Joshua was terrific at getting up on his toes and out of trouble.
He now knows how to deal with shorter fighters and I reckon he has been frustrated for a while at his training and has wanted to be more of a boxer since just after the Parker fight. 

I 100% agree with you, his boxing and ring craft was excellent and it was something that people said he couldn’t do, it was a mature performance from AJ, you don’t win an Olympic gold with zero boxing ability and he has been more concerned about the physical aspect which had made him lose a bit boxing.

You look at his fights against shorter fighters, he has always struggled and last night should have gave him so much more experience.

I just don’t get how people can praise fury for wins in a similar fashion then slate AJ, same with the people who said Ruiz was a far superior boxer and now he’s all of a sudden shite.

I 100% agree with you, his boxing and ring craft was excellent and it was something that people said he couldn’t do, it was a mature performance from AJ, you don’t win an Olympic gold with zero boxing ability and he has been more concerned about the physical aspect which had made him lose a bit boxing.

You look at his fights against shorter fighters, he has always struggled and last night should have gave him so much more experience.

I just don’t get how people can praise fury for wins in a similar fashion then slate AJ, same with the people who said Ruiz was a far superior boxer and now he’s all of a sudden shite.

I mean I’ve already debated the rest with you (AJs performance was nothing like Fury’s better ones) but if you think Joshua legitimately won the Olympic Gold then you’re in cloud cuckoo land. Lost at least twice, arguably three times in the Olympics but was gifted home decisions.

I mean I’ve already debated the rest with you (AJs performance was nothing like Fury’s better ones) but if you think Joshua legitimately won the Olympic Gold then you’re in cloud cuckoo land. Lost at least twice, arguably three times in the Olympics but was gifted home decisions.

Yeah they decisions he got in the Olympics were questionable but how many fighters have been given the benefit of the doubt because of being the home fighter??? Hundreds!!!!

AJs footwork last night was a exceptional, spinning off to the sides and not going back in straight lines, quite clearly you’re a Fury fan!!! 2 performances Fury has been brilliant, rest piss poor..... I’ll also throw in Chisora too actually so 3 at best.

2 hours ago, quickoverayard said:

I've been critical of him for a while. But that was a good performance. The defeat in the first fight may turn out to be a blessing for him as he seems to be back on the right track again. 

Still think fury would be to good for him and wilder would catch him quite easily. But there's a good chance he could also catch wilder too.

But fair play to joshua alot of questions have been asked and he answered them with his best performance yet.

1 hour ago, diamond_for_life said:

Forgive me if you disagree but regardless of Joshua’s efforts surely Ruiz needs an absolute baw booting for that. Clearly too fat, too unfit, didn’t take training or his camp seriously enough. He shouldn’t be allowed Anywhere near a third fight. 

If you go back to the chat at the weigh in there were posters suggesting that ruiz had purposely came in fat as f*** as some sort of game plan.

Even people saying he was actually in great condition with weights hidden in his clothes!!

Edited by BingMcCrosby