Boxing Thread

Meth Damon

2 hours ago, Merkie84 said:

One second Ortiz was dominating, the next he was on the deck. I didn’t even see the punch.

Neither did Ortiz.

15 hours ago, J_Stewart said:

right hand. It’s unlike anything I’ve ever seen. In spite of the praise above, he lost every minute of every round until that fucking atom bomb landed. There has surely never been a bigger puncher in human history, let alone boxing. It’s indescribable, terrifying power. Can only see Usyk or Fury coming anywhere close to beating him. He’ll knock everyone else out.

He used to get stick for tiring himself out and missing then on Saturday he was getting stick for not letting his hands go. Just looks like he has found a tactic that works for him, being relaxed and patient. Might change my mind but for the last wee while I've fancied Wilder to KO Fury properly this time. Wilder manages to drop folk even when they'd doing what should work to protect themselves, like moving to the right or having a good guard up. Would be happy to see the trilogy with one Fury win by masterclass and one more for the Wilder showreel. 

I could see Wilder KO-ing Fury.  I could also see Fury outboxing Wilder the way he did last time but a little tighter so there's no doubt.  I'd probably lean towards Wilder KO at the moment.  I think from the fights they've had since that it looks like Wilder has developed a bit more than Fury.

Just watching the fight now, as I’ve been on holiday.

Wilder’s entrance costume was outstanding, like something out of Flash Gordon. Still not on the level of Fury dressing up as Apollo Creed, but still very good.

For the fight itself, Ortiz was controlling the ring well but there’s nothing you can do against power like that. It’s absolutely frightening what he can do with a punch.

17 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Just watching the fight now, as I’ve been on holiday.

Wilder’s entrance costume was outstanding, like something out of Flash Gordon. Still not on the level of Fury dressing up as Apollo Creed, but still very good.

All I could think about during the entrance was Christopher Livingstone Eubank's poem about "The Dandy" and what his reaction would be to seeing Deontay's sartorial elegance.

I bet he fucking loved it, and who could blame him.

Think Wilder has gotten a little too reliant on his raw stopping power. He's certainly got talent as he won a bronze at the Olympics, but he doesn't need to show his skills when he can absolutely smash someone's head off with a single shot.

Usyk meant to be in talks for a fight with Chisora or Parker. Parker may be the higher quality fight, give he's a fairly recent former world champion, but the Chisora fight would probably be more fun to watch. 

Always though a Wilder v AJ fight would go the same way as the Wilder v Breazeale fight. 

On 25/11/2019 at 17:50, Tarmo Kink said:

Wilder is a far better boxer than given credit for.

Getting into range to deliver a knockout punch is good boxing.  If Wilder had no talent he'd have lost already.  Stopping Ortiz twice and coming as close as anyone to knock out Tyson Fury, two very skillful boxers.   If he was just some swinger he wouldn't have managed that.

Sure wilder has an 83 inch reach so if he was a technically sound boxer he’d be able to control range and Box at distance, his movement is shite, feet are shite, he’s just been blessed with a right hand that’s like nothing we’ve seen! If you mixed what Fury has With the power AJ has that’s the only way to beat him..... why I’m hoping usyk carries more power than Fury.

Parker, Usyk and Chisora would all be very watchable fights against each other.